Shingles Vaccine?

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Steve North, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Has anyone had the vaccine for SHINGLES ????

It is an awful thing if you get it and it could last for months with extreme pain..

We (my wife and I) are going to get the vaccine on Wednesday of this week at the medical clinic ...

It isn't that expensive considering if you got the decease, you would be glad to pay anything to get rid of it..

I was just wondering if you have an opinion on this vaccine.....
    Would like as much feed back as possible before we get the vaccine..

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife and I both got the shingles vaccine. I believe the price has gone down a lot since we got ours. We had no problems at all with the shot.

3. Steve North

Registered

Thanks for the encouragement.. This Wednesday we have an appointment to get the vaccine..
    Regardless of the cost, it is very important we don't get shingles...

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't want to sway you either way...but I'm sharing the facts so you can weigh this decision and see if it's right for y'all.

Shingles Vaccine Facts

You've probably heard of shingles, and maybe you know there's a vaccine to protect against it.

Should you get the shot? Here's what you need to know.

Q. Why do I need the shingles vaccine?

It's the only way to lower your risk of getting this a condition, which causes a rash, headache, chills, upset stomach, and shooting pain. Some people who get shingles have long-lasting nerve damage, which means you could have severe pain for weeks, months, or years after the rash has cleared up.

Q. Who's at risk for shingles?

About 1 million Americans get the condition every year. It's caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox.

If you've had chickenpox, the virus, called varicella, can stay in your body for many years and later return as shingles. This can happen at any time, though the risk goes up with age. About half of the people who get shingles are 60 or older. People with weakened immune systems due to chemotherapy, conditions like HIV, or medicines are also more likely to get it.

Q. Who should get this vaccine?

It's recommended for people 60 or older, but it's approved for people as young as 50.

Q. What if I never had chickenpox?

You should still talk to your doctor about getting the vaccine. There's a good chance that you did have chickenpox as a child but don't remember it. Studies show that 99% of Americans over 40 had chickenpox at some point.

Q. What if I already had shingles?

Unlike with chickenpox, you can get shingles more than once. Getting vaccinated will lower your chances of getting it again. If you have shingles now, your doctor may recommend waiting for the rash to disappear before you get vaccinated.

Q. How effective is it?

The vaccine cuts your chances of getting shingles by 51%. It also slashes the risk of shingles-related nerve damage by 67%. That means even if you do end up getting shingles, the vaccine could help you dodge the most serious complications.

Q. Are there side effects?

Rarely. The most common ones are redness, pain or tenderness, swelling, and itchiness.

Q. Should some people skip the shingles vaccine?

You should not get this vaccine if you're allergic to gelatin or neomycin (an antibiotic), or if you have a weakened immune system. Women who are pregnant should wait to get this shot as well. Talk to your doctor if you have any other medical conditions or serious allergies.

WebMD Medical Reference

SOURCES:

CDC: "Shingles Vaccination: What Everyone Should Know."

Immunization Action Coalition: "Ask the Experts: Diseases and Vaccines: Zoster (Shingles)."

Vaccines.gov: "Shingles (Herpes Zoster)."

Reviewed by William Blahd, MD on November 19, 2015
    © 2015 WebMD, LLC.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

My Mom who is 90 years old got her first shingles vaccine last year end. She said it was a bit more stingy than her other vaccines she regularly gets. There was no vexing problems large or small after she got vaccinated. She even used her arm that she got vaccinated with the very same day. She hasn't complained about it at all, so it must be like a flu vaccine.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

My Mother got her first vaccination for shingles last year end. She did not complain about any adverse affect at all. It seemed to hurt a bit more for this vaccine when she got it. It's been a few months and my Mother had not complained about it at all. She used the arm she got her vaccination the same day, so it must be like a flu vaccination.

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I got the vaccine a few years ago even if it cost me $250 back then. My ex got the shingles and I never want to experience anything like that. It was so painful and lasted so long for him. He'd be sitting there and all of a sudden Id hear a scream, that's how bad it was. He wasn't a baby either...tough guy.

The meds he got for the pain was Lyrica and that wasn't a picnic either. Said it made him loopy and some other side effects.

Get the vaccine!

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Generally, I hate vaccines. But the shingles vaccine is one that I might get if I could afford it because my oldest brother and an aunt has had shingles, and I know that it is very painful. I don't know that I have ever had chickenpox because I don't remember being sick very often as a child, but we never saw doctors when we were sick so I can't really say what I may or may not have had. Unfortunately, I can't afford the prices they want for the shingles vaccine.

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, when I got my shingles shot it was over $200 and the insurance wouldn't pay for it. Now the cost is less than half that and I think most insurance policies will cover at least part of the cost.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shingles/vacc-need-know.htm

I'm sharing another article on the Shingles Vaccine here, this one has information on insurances, health plans including Medicare that cover the cost of the vaccine and other ways to maybe have the cost covered. The article also informs you that the vaccine usually lasts for no more that five years and is less effective in some age groups than others. I hope it will help those who want to know more about this.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks Babs, it's been more than 5 yrs for me so I'll wait til medicare and get another one.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'll be eligible for Medicare in a few months, so I think I'll wait. The last time I checked, it was something like $250 or $300.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I too will be eligible in a couple months.

I paid $250 a few years ago, so I'm sure it's more. Did it at Walgreens but I don't know why.

14. Steve North

Registered

I had my Shingles vaccine just yesterday.. It cost me $185.00 which is cheap considering getting shingles isn't worth the saving.. Should someone get the awful disease, they will be glad to pay anything at that point for the shingles to go away.. The medication will most likely cost more and the pain and discomfort is something else..

Absolutely no side effects or pain at all.. Just like the flu vaccine (which is free)..

For those that hesitate or don't take it................. GOOD LUCK !!!!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Steve North

Registered

WOULD YOU BELIEVE SOMETHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had my Shingles vaccine Wednesday and I paid $185 for the vaccine.... OK, its done with not a single regret or reaction............................................ HOWEVER ........................

Just today (Thursday) the Ontario government brought down their new budget..
    WOULD YOU BELIEVE THAT SENIORS CAN NOW GET THE SHINGLES VACCINE FREE ...
    YES ................. FREE ......... And I just spent $185 on Wednesday instead of free today....

Sheldon Scott and Babs Hunt like this.