Sewing

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Hannah Davis, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

No. Just make circles on fabric with a medium size saucer or bowl. Cut out circles. Stitch all the way around circle and then pull together like an old fashioned bag purse. Flatten. Sew all of those together with small stitches. :D

2. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

Sewing:). Sewing is one of my favorite things to do, as many of you, have learned at a very young age. I know these posts aren't recent, but would love to here from any sewers. :).

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Micki Pembroke

Registered

Sorry Bess, just noticed your post is recent. Are you a happy sewer.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't done anything but mending and hemming pants inseam in last couple of years. Last project I did was make a denim vest and short skirt using material cut off jeans for making shorts. Have you ever used a serger? I thought about buying one for making bras, but not sure I would have the patience required to learn to use it.

5. Micki Pembroke

Registered

Yes Faye, i've used a serger for over 40 years. My first one was an Omega, which did me for about 17 years. Did custom sewing, the serger made life much easier. Did seam finishes with my sewing machine before that, was time consuming, trimmed with scissors for the seam allowance, then overcasted with a stitch, have to watch closely to get it even. Took some time to learn the ins and outs, once i got there, i wondered how i did without one. I then invested in a PFAFF serger and a PFAFF sewing machine. Not much goes wrong with them other needing the timing checked and reset, depending how much use. Still have both those machines, added another PFAFF sewing machine about 10 years ago, was 7 years old, it was completely updated to current programs, was happy with the good deal i got. Now, i guess it's your choice on if you feel you do enough sewing to warrant having one. I still do a great amount of sewing, wouldn't want to be without any of my machines. I have no idea how much they cost now. Good luck with your decision.:).

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Micki Pembroke Thanks! I was looking at a Brother serger that is rated good quality for the price. I think about $600. Pfaff has always been a favorite around here with professionals. My main interest is sewing stretch fabrics. I make my own bras or I should say attempt at it. I think a serger is the best way to do a nice well fitting job that last. I can't get the seam stitch tension even as controlling the stretch using a straight stitch, is not easy. I end up with some too loose a stitch and some to tight which ends up in hand stitching repairs.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

A few years ago I was having fun doing re-purpose sewing projects. I never knew what to do with legs cut off jeans. I made this skirt using two legs from stretch fabric, relaxed fit, straight leg jeans. I put the smallest part for waist. Problem was when I cut down waist to fit, then it was very short length. No elastic in waist but stayed in place nicely with a fold. I gave it to a friends teenage granddaughter.
    den skt 2.jpg den skt.jpg

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  8. Micki Pembroke

Registered

@Faye Fox Good for you, you didn't waste any time. Brother are good as well, $600 is a good price. Is it 3 spool thread or 4 spool. Tension is a challenge, it does take some mastering, but once its set, you shouldn't have to touch it unless you go to a different weight of fabric. Be patent, takes time. Maybe practice on a non stretch fabric, then once you think it's right, go to your stretch fabric, should only need a minor change.

Faye Fox likes this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Micki Pembroke I haven't bought anything yet. Local place insist the best buy for me is the Brother 1034D for $220. My luck with inexpensive machines is bobbin problems. More time spent fooling around than creating and sewing. My old swimsuit maker says her cheapest serger cost $1000 and she recommends spending $1000 or more and getting a Pfaff. I love making my own clothes, but $1000 is a bit more than I can spare now and the $220 sounds like an exercise in frustration which I need to avoid. Just for fun I am going downtown today to look and check out several brands and models.

10. Micki Pembroke

Registered

@Faye Fox You do know that sergers don't have bobbins.:rolleyes:. Bobbin trouble is usually not the right bobbin for the machine, or cheap universal bobbins, they say universal fits all machines, but they don't. I'm done buying machines, if i need updates, just have to take them to a Pfaff center, they can download. Happy hunting.

Faye Fox likes this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Micki Pembroke I forgot that sergers don't have bobbins. Thanks for reminder. Do you recommend a 4 or a 5 spool?

12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I had the Singer treadle sewing machine that my great-grandmother bought in 1904. It still worked perfectly, but I just didn't have the room for it any longer and nobody in the family wanted it.

I listed it for sale and a lady came to look at it with her 89 year-old mother. Mother wanted a treadle machine to sew on because that's all she knew about. She didn't speak a word of English but managed to let me know how delighted she was to get it.

I was so happy it was going to someone who would use it.

13. Micki Pembroke

Registered

@Faye Fox A 4 spool, there is no 5 spool.

14. Micki Pembroke

Registered

@Mary Robi Brings back many memories. Both my Mom and Grandmother spent endless hours sewing on them. They both spent time teaching me, but i had nowhere the success they had, caught on to it, they made it look so easy, hard than it looks. they were indeed the pros.

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw this one at JoAnn's fabrics. 5 thread overstitch. It it different than a serger?

1618313.jpg