See Pcp Or Research Yourself?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 14, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We all know that seeing a PCP costs ,for some folks anyway. For us, we have to pay by-the-month and a yearly deductible before Medicare will pay anything. And, sometimes a PCP will refer their patient to another doctor and seeing that addition doctor will cost also.

Now, from what I understand, most-to-all PCP's don't like their patients going online and getting medical information as well as buying some OTC medicine. In fact, most OTC medicine sold online states "talk to you doctor before taking". Well, doctors don't like to give much advice over the phone, obviously because they aren't being paid for that advice.

So, what do YOU do? Try to take care of an easy medical problem yourself, or make an appointment to see the PCP?

And then, there's the thing where a PCP will tell their patient, in the office, to keep on taking the OTC they are taking for whatever. This happened to my wife in January of 2020. She was taking an OTC cold-flu medicine, but it didn't seem to help much, so I took her to see her PCP. In his office, he told her, and I was sitting there also, "just keep on taking what you are taking". So, he got paid to tell her what she was already doing!

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It depends on how severe the issue is. I have a wonderful PCP who I haven't seen since she examined me on December 28 and sent me directly for breast cancer screening. Since then I have sent messages to her about various concerns (blood pressure, anxiety medication, etc.) and she responds within 2 hours. After hearing my cancer diagnosis, she messaged me "I will pray for you." So you might say that I am a fan of my PCP.

Also, back in December 2017, I sent her pictures of a rash on my arm. She diagnosed shingles and sent prescriptions to Walgreens without ever seeing me in person.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Not sure what PCP stands for, but still doctor myself unless it something serious.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Primary Care Physician.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I quit drinking I set myself up on a high-volume supplement program. I did tons of research, read a couple of books, spent some time in the library, and put together a massive list of things to take throughout the day. Before I started I faxed it to my doctor to review. He read the thing and called me, telling me that he did not think I was vitamin-deficient, but if it would make me feel better to go ahead...there was nothing there that would harm me.

He did not try to dissuade me. He did not charge me for the call. Heck, when I would get a head cold, he would
    send me to this little pharmacy to get menthol crystals...no prescription required. Man, I miss that guy.

But as Gloria said, I always take care of the little stuff myself. Why would I not? Even if I get a cold (and it's been a while), I give it a couple of weeks to run its course before I'd even think of seeing a doctor, unless it's real severe. By that time, I expect to be given something for it.

That being said, if I have a broken arm, I'm not gonna use Google.

6. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Here's what Google says:
    Phencyclidine or phenylcyclohexyl piperidine (PCP), also known as angel dust among other names, is a drug used for its mind-altering effects. PCP may cause hallucinations, distorted perceptions of sounds, and violent behavior.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are times when that sounds better than going to SEE a PCP.:)

Seriously though, it was a team of a VA doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner and a vampire (phebologist) that steered me in the right direction back to good health about 6 or so years ago.
    After that, very few doctors that I have seen understand what happened or why I recovered so quickly nor do they understand the regimen I am on.

If I know that I need a doctor then I go to a doctor and if I feel that I can research my way through, that is precisely what I do.
    One of our x neighbors went to have an MRI for a stubbed toe. Nope, I just can’t see doing that. I’ll fix it first.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Hoot Crawford likes this.
  8. John Brunner

Don't knock cowboys who use PCP. That's how Mister Ed was created.

Bobby Cole and Hoot Crawford like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

well ain't you a Hoot... been there done this one. i will go with Beth's verision:)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, ok, ok...........Primary Care Physician, not the drug! LOL

11. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Remember Grandma (and Grandpa) ? When they knew what to do from the wisdom of grey hair, simply, and it worked, do that.
    Nest, if there's time, find a support group that has been there done that and it worked .
    If there's not time, do what is necessary, but don't give up looking for what works best, often without money. (or pennies on the dollar compared to regular practice)
    i.e. keep looking for what works best, healthy, not toxic.

12. Jeff Elohim

Registered

which one causes more death ?
    (not funny)

just looked it up:
    "Top Answer

Wiki User
    Answered June 25, 2011 3:48AM

About 100 deaths each year in the 80's US so it would be about 150 deaths now due to an increase in population and drug use(blame the war on drugs)."

i.e. less than 1% of 1% of the deaths attributed to regular medicine ( third highest cause of death according to CDC statistics).

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2021
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I sent an online, private message, to my VA doctor yesterday, asking her a few questions. Generally, it's her nurse that will answer me, but the last coupe of times, it's been my doctor. She gave me some answers to questions I asked her. But, certain things she isn't going to know about, because those answers would have to come from a specialty doctor.

14. Jeff Elohim

Registered

OR, honest answers, truth, may come
    if not from a specialty doctor (who might not know or might be restricted by immoral protocol)** ,
    THEN,
    from a health practitioner who knows the right tests to do, outside of standard pharm protocol.
    ONE of the many reasons it took us seven years to find an honest doctor. Most were restricted to standardized answers (which often did not work, did not cure, or did not relieve a cause of trouble - only the symptoms)
    or they simply did not know for whatever reason.
    If they seek the answer by their own research, they can find out, although they cannot use it in licensed practices officially.

http://seniorsonly.club/threads/do-you-really-trust-the-medical-system.10570/page-2#post-512303
    ("they are not your friend")

15. John Brunner

Goodbye, Cody.
    [​IMG]