Redecorating?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Ted Richards, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

If you say that you are planning to redecorate a room, usually the first thing that comes to mind is painting. I knew if I titled this “painting”, no one would read it because nearly everyone views painting as an onerous chore. It need not be that way. Think of painting as an art form to be accomplished rather than a loathsome chore. It helps, it really does. I like to make ugly things attractive and painting is the way I do it. I even paint a lot of my outdoor tools.

One thing that has made painting so much easier in my lifetime has been water-based latex acrylic paints. They do have a slight odor but not nearly as overpowering as oil-based alkyd paints that use paint thinner. Cleanup is a breeze too and that makes the job so much easier. I find that good interior latex paints are just as durable as alkyd paints in most situations.

Instead of stirring paint, I always shake it as is done in the paint store, however, if that’s too difficult for you, stirring is fine too. Just make sure you have a safe place to lay the stir stick so it doesn’t leave a big blotch of paint on the floor. You need a small container of water, dip your brush in water first, and then shake out the excess to dampen the bristles. Have a damp cloth or paper towel at hand to quickly wipe up a spill with, and then start painting the edges first and around the trim. Save the easy stuff for last, the big open spaces that you can paint with a roller.

It seems to work better if you do the tedious stuff first and the big stuff after. I think it’s because we lose patience as we go along. Baseboards look like a big problem but they are really easy if you have a paint guide. It looks for all the world like a wide vinyl slat from a Venetian blind, in fact, I’m sure it is with an attached handle in the center. Just slip it behind the baseboard and paint the wall behind it, moving the guide along as you go. That keeps paint off the baseboard. The same tool works great around window and door casings and ceiling moldings. You will need to wipe paint off the guide occasionally. If you drip a bit of paint here and there, wipe it up immediately with your damp cloth. Of course if you are painting over carpet, lay out some sort of protection on the carpet first.

Make it easy on yourself by not trying to do too much at a time. Perhaps only one wall today and another tomorrow, then you won’t feel pressured by time constraints. Most people are in too much of a hurry to do the job well. Remember that Michelangelo took a while to do the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. The Pope wasn’t too happy about it but Michelangelo refused to be hurried. He was creating a work of art to last the Ages. That’s a good attitude to have.

Some helpful hints:

Paintbrushes should be natural hog bristle not the new synthetics. Synthetic bristles are very smooth and don’t hold paint very well. It’s hard to find natural hog bristle brushes anymore, about the only people that still make them are the Chinese. A discount auto parts store or industrial supply may be your best bet. Look for parts cleaning brushes, which are cheap paint brushes made in China from natural bristle.

Of course a good cleaning is necessary prior to painting. Don’t try to paint over dirt because it will look exactly like someone painted over dirt to cover it up. Nail holes and cracks should be filled and sanded smooth too.

I’ve never had too much luck with using masking tape. The paint always wicks underneath and leaves a mess, so don’t bother. Using the paint guide as described seems to work best.

If you must leave for a bit in the middle of painting, wrap your brush or roller in a wet paper towel and stick it in a plastic bag. Put the lid on the paint can until you return.

When finished for the day, make sure the lid of the paint can is all the way down all around so the paint doesn’t dry out. A claw hammer and a block of wood will do the job for you. Put your paintbrush in your container of water as soon as you are finished and then thoroughly clean it as soon as possible. A wire brush is sometimes helpful in cleaning. Pure bristle paintbrushes are at their best after they have been used a few times and will last for years if you take care of them.

Bobby Cole and Von Jones like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A good piece of information and well written @Ted Richards.

But alas, I hate to paint, do not want to paint, do not wish to hold a brush or a roller in which to paint nor like the smell of paint.
    It's the stuff that we were warned about in Genesis when God told Adam that he would have to suffer as he was being kicked out of Eden for surely he was being told that Eve would be able to pick out the paint in exchange for laboring during childbirth.

Oil base, Water base, enamel, latex, interior, exterior, epoxy enamel, tints, shades, lacquer, satin, gloss, flat: It's all a bunch of liquid chemical goo meant to create more chaos in an already too chaotic world.
    One has to move the furniture, cover the floors, remove the wall plates and pictures, deglaze the walls, remove the drapes, tape the windows, cut in the corners, cut around the lights, clean the cobwebs, patch the nail holes, cut in the base boards just to splash on:
    Carousel Pink, Pink Chiffon, Santa Red, Pumpkin, Lemonade, True Blue, Mississippi Mud, Light Buttermilk, Sea Aqua, Pistachio Mint, Hauser Light, Raspberry. Petal Pink with a speck of Bubblegum or Poodleskirt somewhere in the mix.

In the end we have to do what? Pull the tape, clean the windows, put up the drapes, bring back the furniture, replace the wall plates, rehang the pictures, pick up the drop cloths, store the stuff that didn't go in the garbage and then............go on to the next room.

Yup, Great Job Bobby..........until a couple of years from now when Puce will replace the Cottage White........................................

Ted Richards likes this.
  3. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole, you may detest painting but you are a marvelous writer! Put yourself out a bit and write some short stories for us, we'd like to hear more.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Aw shucks mister. Ah jus rites wut kums inta mah hade.

Thank you, for indeed you are way too kind.....................

5. Mike Dobra

Mike Dobra Veteran Member
    Registered

Fabulous motivational copy! Thanks
    One tip - if you want to keep a part used tin of paint, make sure the lid is hammered down tight, then store it in the garage upside down, Airtight !

Von Jones and Ted Richards like this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Why - are hammer heads so small ? No not the shark but these things ……………..

upload_2018-8-5_18-29-3.jpeg
    Was just watching a guy using one in a very awkward position and one thought led to another
    Sigh - my life is that exciting :rolleyes:
    Anyhoo - if the heads were broader, more thumbs would escape being thumped !

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

You could kill a fly with a sledge hammer, but you would also create a lot more collateral damage.:eek:

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They make hammers in several shapes and sizes.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I never use a hammer. I do have one though in the garage somewhere.

Instead I go to my kitchen and get my metal meat tenderizer ....actually a pounder but that wouldnt sound right. :)

Anyway, I use the side of that.

10. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think Physics has a lot to do with it. The smaller the head more energy is concentrated into it. Same reason why it is easier to insert a needle into something than a larger object.

11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I've used a flat rock as a hammer, in an emergency. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Worked with an old gent. Harry was a piece of work. He always talked about his "hammer collection". time came one Summer when he invited some of us to a picnic at his place. He lived in the country and a short piece away from his house, was the house he grew up in. It was empty and run down. Inside, he had a room where he "displayed" his hammers. He must have had a couple hundred....all spread out haphazardly on the floor. Many had a very specific usage. It was bizarre!

[​IMG]
    Sesame seed hammers......

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Bobby Cole, Patsy Faye and Nancy Hart like this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Patsy Faye These are called "dinging" hammers. They are made in a zillion different shapes and sizes. You just ain't "been around" hammers as much as I have, that's all! Frank

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a small hammer that has the claws on one end and a round thingy on the other end. I don't know what it's name is but it comes in handy many times.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It probably has another name, but that's your most basic nail hammer, I think. The claw is useful for removing nails and the hammer end of it is sufficient for pounding nails.

Bobby Cole and Shirley Martin like this.