Random Acts Of Kindness

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Hedi Mitchell, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Many times I have done this or that to help people I do not even know - for whatever reasons.
    It always surprises them and you can tell appreciated.
    Today after shower and washing my hair went to store- again. As I was about to leave looked up and it was pouring rain. Normally would not care except I had just got all cleaned up and washed my hair.
    Few mintues later a woman came thru the door with umbrella and asked would I like her to walk me to my car.
    Wow - um well yes that would be nice.So under her cover we walked and unloaded grocery in trunk of car. I thanked her again and gave her my buggie. I could not stop smiling and thinking how nice it was for me to receive a RAK from someone.
    Does the heart good and now I know how others feel when I have shown a kindness to them. Simple but rewarding on both ends:)

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember, when we lived in Jacksonville, FL, a JSO (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office) Officer, who lived in our apartment complex, asked me to jump start his patrol car. I had met and talked to him before. So, I grabbed our 1997 Dodge RAM 1500, a set of cables and started him right up. He was very grateful, said "thanks" and I said, "your very welcome".

However, today is not like 30-40 years ago. Sometimes a Good Samaritan can get themselves into trouble helping someone, especially someone they don't know.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I once attended a morale building seminar that maintained random acts of kindness can increase one's own feelings of self worth. One of the suggestions was to pay the toll for the next car behind you and imagine their reaction. You can only do that at "live" toll booths, and we have no tolls here, so it didn't apply, but the idea was there.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Come to think about it, there was another time: We were having breakfast at a Waffle House and off-and-on talking with a guy who was having breakfast behind us. As he finished, and headed towards the cashier, we said "Nice talking to you. Have a nice day." as he walked by our table. When we finished, went to pay our bill and the waitress told us, "the man you were talking to, paid for your breakfast". We were somewhat stunned, but very, very happy. He was a very nice guy and we both enjoyed talking to him.

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

When I buy heavy things at Walmart; like 40 # bags of bird seed; a helpful man always comes by and puts it in the trunk of my car. Of course, it helps that I stand there and look like a poor helpless little old lady.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've always maintained that it doesn't take much to upset someone, and it doesn't take much to elevate them.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

couple of years ago, in line at Wal-Mart about to be checked out. Problem with register, then no price on what I was buying, taking forever. Behind me was a little lady about 80, who had a brush, comb and small mirror laying on the belt behind divider. She was so patient, never complained or gave a clue she was in a hurry. Once my purchase was being rang up I slid her things over for me to get. Oh those are mine she said. Yes, ma'am i know, Merry Christmas early :)
    You would have thought i bought her a months worth of grocery. The smiling and excitement of that one small gesture had made her day. And, that joy from her- made mine:)

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I like to think there are still more good people than bad but we seldom hear about the good ones.

I have had some good people help me over the years.

9. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The attached 3-min video went viral within a few days of its release, and in less than a week, had close to 7 million views. If you have not seen it, you are in for something special.

LinkedIn describes it as follows: “Arguably the most inspirational and moving video that you have ever seen, this tear-jerking, award-worthy 3-minute video aptly entitled ” Giving Is the Best Communication” encompasses the quintessence of mankind in our days and what humanity intrinsically should be all about.”

Fasten your seat belts and have the Kleenex nearby. Here it is:

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Very inspiring to help those who can't help themselves is a wonderful thing to do, although I'm more with Ayn Rand philosophy I still think those who can't help themselves deserve our help.
    And the doctor not forgetting the kindness did warm the heart.

John Houlihan likes this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I do things out of common sense that others view as an act of kindness.

I was out walking when I saw a couple of young ladies jogging toward me. I moved out on the pavement edge. The ladies stopped and told me they were the ones that should have taken the pavement not me. I told them, no it was my responsibility because if they had moved out their backs are to the oncoming traffic and that is dangerous. I could see the oncoming traffic and could react to avoid being hit if necessary.

The young gazelles looked at each other and said that the dangers of such had never occurred to them and they were trying to be polite. I thanked them for their wanting to be polite and do me an act of kindness. Then they thanked me for making them aware of maybe switching directions so they were always facing the traffic and could safely yield to the many older folks that walk that narrow sidewalked route.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Many young people are more thoughtful and kinder than we give them credit for.

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

They were jogging on the wrong side of the street???? You just thwarted Darwin ;)

You reminded me that in this rural area, you'll encounter farm equipment on the paved roads as they go from one field to another. When they are headed in my direction, I pull as far off of the road as I can and let them navigate past me.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Marie, I love Ayn Rand's books, especially the "The Fountainhead". I read the book twice and watched the movie several times over the years, probably because I considered majoring in architecture after I saw some of Frank Lloyd Wright's incredible work. I do try to live by Ayn's advice to think for myself. But like you, I think Ayn is absolutely wrong about never helping others. There are too many cases in the third-world counties where the poor cannot help themselves. The best example that I can think are the 2-million suffering women with untreated obstetric fistula in Asia and Africa.

Most Americans don't even know what obstetric fistula because it no longer exists in the United States. Here is a brief description of how horrible it is. There are many remote regions in the world where C-sections are not available. Often a woman's cervix is too small to pass the baby, who then bangs its head against vaginal and anal walls. This banging creates holes through which urine and feces can pass. After days of failed labor, the baby is killed and removed. Unfortunately the woman survives but has no control over urination or defecation. Because of the stench, the husband leaves his wife and the poor woman is cast out of village. She lives alone on the outskirts of the village. Nobody except her mother or possibly a rare husband will have anything to do with her. This is why these poor women are often referred to as modern-day lepers. In summary, I think Ayn Rand is absolutely wrong about not helping those who cannot help themselves.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Of course, if we didn't help anyone, we wouldn't have to kill people off through abortion, manufactured viruses, and even scarier vaccines.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    Marie Mallery and John Houlihan like this.