Question About A Business Idea

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Dwight Ward, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Dwight Ward Its nice to imagine you feeling happy with the ideas that we’ve shared with you. One more that I thought of was to approach a local lawn and garden outlet in your area. Not one of the chain places that would be like Lowe’s but for plants and outdoor furnishings but maybe a local merchant. They usually have a garden like spot to show off what they’re selling. Maybe they’d be willing to let you hang one of your sculptures to draw attention to their wares, which in turn would or might draw attention to your chimes as well. I don’t know what part of the country you live in but I think you’d do really well, year round, in a warmer climate. Okay, I’m outta here!

2. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

Luv the patinas on those copper pipes...and i bet their sound in the wind is lovely

Dwight Ward and Tony Page like this.
  3. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not to be a downer, but I'm not hearing yet thought about the business related aspects. A few things I learned when selling some of my books from home for a while:

You might need a state and city business license for a home based workshop and sell your products at fairs, in shops, on internet.

There could be zoning and parking laws involved if you hold workshop sales (people come to you to browse and buy).

If selling via internet shipping will cost by weight and size, -- you'll have costs of shipping material too -- and you might have to factor in sales tax in all the buyers jurisdictions. Collecting the payment before shipping is easy with PayPal and they will help with figuring tax. Also their fees are tax deductible for you.

Don't forget to factor all these extra "business admin" type of expenses into your sale price with enough left over for your profit.

John Brunner and Jack Roberts like this.
  4. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

You might need a state and city business license for a home based workshop and sell your products at fairs, in shops, on internet.

I think I'll trust to luck on all that because even if I get caught selling without some required permit or license, there's not likely to be any fine. Rural counties like I'm in are not so officious as the cities.
    I have a lot to learn about shipping and other overhead and so forth but that's what life is for (learning). I'm going to charge ahead.

5. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do like the easier to get forgiveness than permission attitude :) Go for it!

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I agree. If you ask them if you can pay them taxes, they will probably consent to it, so there's no reason to put yourself out there.

7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My concern is insurance. I thought I might like to set up a shop at my farm but that requires extra insurance and what if someone steps in a hole?
    I had a lady scream because a grass hopper crawled across her sandled foot here.

Tony Page likes this.