Power Boating Anyone?

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We've been caught in a couple of rain falls, but (thank God), no lightning. Quickly put up the bimini top, so we didn't get soaked. Actually, we are, what is called, "Fair Weather Boaters". If wind is too high, or predicted to be too high (for our liking), boat doesn't go out. If rain or t-storms are in the forecast, boat doesn't go out. Smoke (wildfires) will stop us from going out as well. Boat doesn't go out at all unless my wife is with me.

We bought our current boat on Craigslist. Since buying this boat, have had a number of things done to it, including new block and drive repair. Back in 2008, after moving from Colorado and leaving our boat there on consignment, we started looking at cabin cruisers. Found one very nice one, but cost $27k and we couldn't get the credit. Besides that, it seemed somewhat big to be hauling back and forth to Lake Norman. It was great looking inside and out, but would have been financially, and physically, impossible for us to upkeep. Cuddy cabin we have right now can keep us busy enough.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

We have owned several boats, the last one being a bass boat 17' with a 150 HP motor....that thing was like a rocket on water and I would not go out on it preferring instead to let hubby risk his own life while I watched from shore.

It sank when a mini twister went through and took it down while docked overnight.....I did a happy dance and counted the insurance money.

Chrissy Cross and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh Desert winds are tricky, and you're right on about watching forecasts before venturing out. The marina in my case always had flags flying indicating wind prediction, and there was no warning when we went out. The wind an hour later was likely > 20 mph, maybe double that. Beautiful lake, Mead is, but can be treacherous.
    Frank

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Why we don't like saltwater boating here (but do go on our river here):

Salt and Brackish water can do a number to an outdrive and engine. Have to wash out the drive/engine each time after being on the water.

Too much navigational crap to learn/understand.

No "No Wake" areas to fish at.

Also, can't forget the tides. Coming in during low tide can get a boater stranded.

Much, much rather boat in freshwater!

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Someone mentioned a canoe and it brought back this rememberance.

I was very young maybe eight, nine or ten and was very introverted. So my mother signed me up in this program for kids mostly for the summer. Somehow I found us heading for a wide spanse of water. Didn't have any idea what was to happen next. Us kids were all lined up and then a few at a time were loaded into several now know as canoes. I was so, so scared. With each paddle stroked I thought I was going overboard. My stomach never felt anything like that before. There was no enjoying any of the surroundings cause all I did was kept my head down so I didn't have to see the water. I do remember that it was very, very quite and all I remembered hearing was the oar as it came out of the water for the next move forward. We probably weren't in the water that long but if I knew what eternity felt like I'm sure that was it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

At one time my ex and I had a very nice "power" boat that we used mostly for fishing but sometimes for skiing too. Then one day I hinted that if we had a boat with a cabin area we could have even more fun on our boat when it was just the two of us out on it. So a few weeks later my ex came home with a bigger boat with a cabin...and it was alot of fun for us until...

One weekend my ex took some of his guy friends and his son fishing. To this day I don't know what happened on that boat but when he got back from that fishing trip I could tell he was really "shook up" about something but he wouldn't talk about it no matter how many times I asked him what was wrong. Two days later the boat was sold lock, stock, and barrel...including my emerald green rod and reel. I didn't care about him selling the boat but I was very upset that he included my fishing gear in the deal. :(

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We have never slept on our boat. The Cuddy Cabin is too small. It's nice to lay out the seat cushions and lay down in it for a short time, but other than that, just too small. Have seen some Cuddy's that were bigger, with a small propane stove, frig and small sink, but cost to much.
    Our boating season is right around the corner and we are extremely glad of that.

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Ours was a nice size cabin...but no kitchen stuff in it. I love fishing as long as it isn't deep sea fishing and enjoyed many fishing trips on both our boats and just riding around in them.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We done quite a bit of trout (rainbow) fishing. Still have all our freshwater fishing gear we used in Colorado. There were also times we "beached" the Bowrider and relaxed on the beach under a canopy.

We sold the saltwater fishing gear we bought here in 2009. Never used any of it. Before we leave Florida, we may go out on a 1/2 day fishing boat, so wife can say she ocean fished once.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

[​IMG]
    Our boat. Do have a bimini top to keep the sun off of us (but not on in this photo)

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Us in Colorado after a couple hours of trout fishing. [​IMG]

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Finally a picture of us. It's from 2005, but still a picture. BTW, wife had no problem holding the fish for the photo, however I had to fillet them.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Florida boat (first picture) is a much more powerful one, as in 5.7L/350/V8 engine, than the one shown below in Colorado, which was a small "four-banger" aka 4-cylinder.

14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh , I have a question for you. I have an remote controlled, solar powered gate for my drive way. I was told that the solar panel powers a marine type of battery. It has been busted into four times so far, and last time they busted the gate totally off it's supporting column.

So I have someone coming out today to tell me what it will cost to repair. If it's too costly, I'm thinking of just having them repair the column and turning the gate back into a manual shutting gate like I use to have.

Now my question. What can I do with the solar screen and marine battery? I don't want to throw them away, and I know that just storing them isn't a good idea either.

What would you do with such parts? Can they be repurposed?

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Could take the battery to an auto parts store, that sells marine batteries, and give to them.
    When we buy new one, we give them old one. Otherwise, we'd have to pay a higher cost for new one.
    Solar Panel, don't know.