Post-viral Nastiness

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Julie Stewart, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

Apparently I'm "post-viral" - I feel like lead weights have been sewn into my clothes and I'm sleeping 10 hours each night plus a siesta of 1 or 2 hours each evening.

I don't feel ill - just completed depleted.

I've been told the only thing is to "sit it out" and not "overdo things."

Has anybody else had/got this and do you have any advice.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The term is new to me, Julie, so the only advise I can give you is not to drink coffee at lunch time, as it will keep you awake all afternoon.;)

Julie Stewart likes this.
  3. Julie Stewart

Registered

Maybe I should drink coffee because all I seem to do is sleep. I want to stay awake for the men's tennis final which is just starting. However, the doctor said that if I feel like sleeping then I should sleep. Dany has piled pillows and a fleece on the sofa just in case I drop off during the tennis. :confused:

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Good call!
    [​IMG]

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you had a diagnosis from a doctor? Do you take any supplements?

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I understand completely- I am still trying to get back to my old self after a terrible mishap a few months ago. I don't think that people always get just how worn out you can get. Yesterday I literally slept the whole day away. I don't feel bad about it because I know I need it, there are days I struggle just trying to get thru work. My best advice is to try to offer you body all the minerals and vitamins you can, you have probably depleted your bodies store. I try to walk every day to get my stamina up and recharge the vitamin D I get from the sun. I have just started again making my fresh juices both fruit and vegetable, it seems to help.

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember a Doctor telling me one time that if I didn't give my body what it needed...it would end up taking it in one way or the other. Sounds like your body needs a period of rest...and it is taking it. :)

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I seldom get any kind of cold of flu; but when I do, I start taking extra vitamins. I take he stress forumla vitamins which is 500 mg. of Vitamin C and 2 B-complex capsules every 4 hours.
    If I start this at the beginning , I usually can kick the cold/flu before it gets a good chance to attack me. Otherwise, it will help it to go away faster, and replenish your strength as you are recovering.
    I also take exra iodine if I think I am starting to get sick.
    I take a few drops of the Lugol's iodine every day, just to keep my iodine requirements taken care of, but if I am battling an infection, then I take extra iodine.
    Another thing that I usually do as a preventative is hyperthermal baths. I do this when I go to the fitness center, and sit in the hot tub for about 5 minutes, and then get into the cool pool water and swim.
    Since the first line of defense that our body uses is to raise the body temperature enough to kill off the invading virus, just sitting in a hot tub of water can often help to fight off a virus.

Patsy Faye and Joe Riley like this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Julie Stewart - have you tried a multi vitamin Julie - with lots of B vitamins included ?

11. Julie Stewart

Registered

@Martin Alonzo , @Patsy Faye , @Jenn Windey , @Babs Hunt an @Yvonne Smith - thank you all for your advice and shared experiences.

a little more background - first of all I'm rarely ill so this last 4 weeks has been a shock to my system. It started on Staruday 7th May with a bad mussel. Although I didn't know I'd eaten a bad one util 12 hours later when I was in the middle of a 600 kms motorcycle journey. I stopped being pilot and rode pillion. During the Sunday night/Monday morning I had to move into to toilet and spent most of the next 2 days there. Toilet paper sales in Epernay soared.

After 2 days Dany called the doctor in, I spent Wednesday 11th May in a day clinic on a drip to counter dehydration and replace lost electrolytes.

By Friday 13th I felt fine if a little drained. We had a quiet weekend and on Monday 16th I enjoyed an 18 kms hike with friends and felt grat afterwards.

On Wednesday 17th I woke with and earache by the evening I also had a sore throat. On Thursday I woke but couldn't open my eyes - I had conjunctivitis. The doctor sorted me out wit the meds I needed, but I felt pretty miserable.

By Monday 23rd I felt OK - still a bit more tired than usual - but not too worried abut that.

I did some writing and we went for a short 10 kms walk that afternoon.

On Tuesday 24th I woke up with a horrible feeling in the back of my throat. It was the start of a cold. The first I'd had for 2 years. I got a bit of a fever and felt dehydrated again - so Dany called the doctor to visit. Not normal for a cold - but in light of the previous 2 weeks (I'm also severely allergic to all broad based antibiotics and the doctor had said to call if I had any worries or simplt "didnt' feel right' ) .

She confirmed it was just a cold, therefore viral and I had to sit it out. She also recommended sweating it out as you said @Yvonne Smith

She popped in again on Saturday and that's when she told me I am 'post-viral' and must 'sit it out' and 'not overdo things'. She did prescribe Magnesium which is mentioned on the site of the link you gave me @Patsy Faye - but that's for fatigue. I don't actually have a problem getting to sleep or sleep apnea.

Then I joined this forum on Sunday 29th May - and happily spent sometime getting to know some of you :);):);):);)

Yesterday, Sunday 5th June, we went out for a short motorcycle ride with friends. I started as pilot but switched to pillion after only 50 kms, it was going well and the roads were quiet, but I felt that my responses were a bit sluggish. So I didn't want to overdo things.

I didn't need a siesta yesterday YAY! And walked 5 kms in the evening. I slept for 9 hours and woke this morning feeling almost back to normal.

That was 5 hours ago - now I'm feeling drained again. Not ill, no pain - but something akin to a fat slug weighed down with a lead hat!

So I'm sitting it out some more with a visit to my friends here on SENIORS!

Joe Riley, Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Julie Stewart - yes magnesium is for fatigue - you are tired and need a boost
    So a multi vitamin seems a good start :)
    Hope you are soon well and raring to go here there and everywhere xx

Julie Stewart likes this.
  13. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Julie on your first post you said “I don't feel ill - just completed depleted”. You knew what the problem was and did not know it.

I would guess it was viral and of course a cold is. To sweat it out might be good but sweat is not just salt water. It is a soup of all the minerals in your body. If you do not replace the minerals you feel “depleted”. Mutli vitamins usually contain some minerals but not all we need.

There is some multi mineral products out there some are called trace minerals or fulvic ionic minerals which has a lot of these minerals that are missed by multi vitamin supplements.

14. Julie Stewart

Registered

@Patsy Faye and @Martin Alonzo - thank you both for your advice and contribution. I've started on the magnesium she prescribed and I'm going to call her to ask about the trace elements.

My concern is that I'll thinkg I'm raring to go before I am and then knock myself back again - I don't make a patient patient!

Martin Alonzo and Patsy Faye like this.
  15. Martin Alonzo

Registered

It takes time to replace trace minerals in your body but you will feel a difference. For example gray hair is a copper deficiency and it has taken a year and my hair is slowly returning to its normal color.

Julie Stewart and Patsy Faye like this.