Police Reform?

Discussion in 'Protests & Riots' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

What are your ideas on Police Reform?

Ours is..........have law enforcement leave the black race alone to do whatever they want to. Know this might/would sound ridiculous, but it sure seems like that's what the protesters want. Anyway, would protests stop, I would think so.

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

You realize that the BLM is supported by iot of woke whites? The violence won't stop

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Huh?
    So, you would rather the rule of law be based on race which would allow one race to take over your stuff, (legally) and at the same time start a civil war?
    I know that whacky tobaccy is legal where you live but seriously, that doesn’t mean you have to smoke the whole farm in a day.
    Take your time, space things out a bit and leave a bud or two for the other folks.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby..........I was only being sarcastic! But, then again, if the black race was left alone, what would happen???? I know, I know, other races would complain "why are we getting arrested and blacks are no longer bothered by law enforcement."

Sorry, we don't smoke, we only use CBD oil and salve.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

If you have any educated answers, please post them!

Somehow, someway, there has to be a solution to all of this.

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I think we need some reform. It is not the policeman's faught, they do what they are trained to do.
    And sometimes they scare too easy or say, too often, they feared for their life when trying to explain their actions.

It is the training they receive, nation wide. They tell recruits they can do something no one else in
    the nation can do, they can take a human life. True when circumstance call for it, but it's done far too often.
    And like any other group of people, they cover up for each other. I think their training should be more inclined to
    protect human life. Most police dedpartments consider what might happen if they didn't stop or kill someone.
    That shouldn't be their job. Most of them are not mentally equipted to make those decisions. Much of
    that should be left to the courts. Most often a suspect when caught shoulod be hanciuffed and put in the
    back of a police car and taken to jail. Just because he resists arrest is no reasonb to kill him. The fact a suspect has a knife is no reason to kill a man.
    If there is a gun in the car it is no reason to kill a man. Everybody has guns; licenses are handed out wholesale. Much of it is temper.
    But we allow cops to do what they do and there should be consequences. There's a lot to consider but we
    should start considering some changes in training. We can always do things better but we have let it get out
    of hand. Will it stop anything? Not likely. And Police don't need all this military weaponery. Protesting will go
    on. They say it is legal. Looting, destroying property, and burning is not legal. How we handle protests
    should be looked at.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Peter Renfro likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I guess you’ll have to warn me next time you wish to write satire.

Now, what would happen? The same thing that’s happening now. No matter who is allowed to be stupid, they will act stupid and probably with a bit of idiot just so they can look and act more stupid.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Part of what you are saying is true, while other parts are not. Have you ever been a officer and encountered someone who was resisting you for an arrest? There are situations where it isn't as simple as arrest and put into a patrol car. If the person resists, what would you do?

Actually, it seems like, with today's law enforcement, it's "kill or be killed", just like what is taught in Basic Training for the Marines and Army.

If a suspect has a knife on them, that knife can be pulled out and used on an officer. If there is a gun in the vehicle, if that gun can be reached, the suspect can/ and quite possibly would use it on an officer/officers.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The thing about being mentally equipped, many officers are x-military and everyone is given a psych test before they even go to the academy.
    Now, what most departments do Not do is to insist on a yearly psych evaluation once a year. It’s a high stress job so they should have to be evaluated more than before training and after a shooting.

As far as having military equipment, I’m not sure what we’re talking about. In days gone by, nearly all policemen carried a 6 shot revolver, no vests and maybe a night stick. Especially in the larger cities, the average policeman was no match for a criminal with a superior handgun and many of them lost their lives or were shot up so bad they had to retire on a medical.
    So....now policemen wear vests, carry a 9 mil or something similar just to get them up to speed and probably a Mossberg 12 gauge in the trunk. Most also have access to pepper spray or mace and or a taser which is debilitating but for the most part not deadly and far better than being beat up with a stick.
    Rubber bullets and C4 and tear gas are also used for crowd control which again, are not for killing.

Beyond amping up the psych evaluations and maybe even make Internal Affairs in each department a civilian job and maybe even amp up the training, I really do not know what else is to be done.
    As it is, the media is responsible for a lot of the drama lately because they rarely, if ever any more, report when someone dangerous is taken into custody without something major happening.

Cody Fousnaugh and Ed Wilson like this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

I have not been a police officer. A number of my family and my wife's family have been. That has no beating on my opinon
    except to say police officers get together often and generate the danger of their job, talk it up among themselves make it
    more dangerous. Generally police act as they are trained. I'm saying they are trained wrong in the physical handling of a
    suspect. I think more often than not a cops temper gets in the way of his better judgement even though he is subjected
    to tests. What was the taser invented for? Police offices get herd mentality. This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I am right.
    One individual can not come up with all the right answers but i think all polices forces kill too many unnecessarly.

@Cody Fousnaugh , I'd taise him or hit him up beside the head with my billy club or pistola.

I'm referring to Military equipment as tanks, personel carriers, or what ever they are called today, all that wheeled military
    ssurplus equipment th military didn't know what to do with.

Peter Renfro likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Notice in every situation lately where some black man or woman gets shot or killed unnecessarily, someone made a call to the police first, often someone who knew the victim well, even a friend or relative. So the police can't just leave everyone alone.

I also feel sorry for the persons who made those calls. What would you do if you were afraid to even call the police now, and couldn't handle the situation by yourself?

From all the videos it looks like a temper thing, or a control issue, not fear. The victim didn't do what I said, so I'll show him. I'm the boss. Still think it's some cops with a very bad attitude. Serious psych evaluation wrt temper and control issues to begin with, like Bobby said.

Maybe the police unions are part of the problem. I don't know enough about that to comment.

Peter Renfro and Bill Boggs like this.
  12. Bill Boggs

Registered

I guess I don't either but I expect they pretty much do as unions everywhere do, protect their clientel. And I think the penal code should be addressed.
    We've too many prisons, all over crowded, many seem to be run incternally by gangs or gangs do what they do on the outside and are allowed to
    because it makes life easier on guards not to interfer. I think we should start considering exporting multi-repeat offenders. At least5 give it a once over.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Many years ago, when I was in my late teens or early twenties, I was pulled over by the Anaheim, California police while on my motorcycle. I was wearing short pants and a tee-shirt, with no reasonable place to hide anything, and I had no idea why I was being pulled over.

Before approaching, the cop who pulled me over told me to keep my hands where he could see them. He then called for back-up, and two other cops responded in one car. One remained in the car, while the other came out.

Both of the cops who were outside of the vehicles seemed very nervous, and one of them had his hand on the grip of his handgun as if I was going to shoot him at any moment.

One of them asked for my driver's license, then when I reached for it, they both put their hands on their guns.

"Keep your hands where I can see them!"

"I was reaching for my wallet. It's in my back left pocket, where practically the whole world keeps their wallets."

One of them moved to where he could see my hand reaching for the wallet. I removed my ID and one of them came only close enough that he could reach the license if we both extended our arms.

"Registration and insurance, please."

I started to lift the seat of the motorcycle, where the only storage space that I had was, and they both panicked again.

"What are you doing?

"I'm lifting the seat so that I can get my registration and insurance. You asked for it."

"Slowly, then."

"Okay, I'm lifting the seat to get my registration and insurance cards. Please don't shoot me."

The whole time, they were both acting like kittens encountering their first barking dogs. Again, I was wearing short pants, a tee-shirt, and sandals. There was no place to hide a weapon unless I had it stuck into the back of my pants or something, and one of them had walked behind me, so it should have been clear that I had no such thing. In fact, my motorcycle was a Honda-150, hardly the stuff of the Hell's Angels.

Then the guy who was in the car came out. He had apparently gotten some news on the radio that indicated that I wasn't a serial killer or anything. They apologized for pulling me over, gave me my cards back, and told me they were looking for someone else.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I dislike when people say "the police" as though they are a unified group.
    This is not directed at Cody or anyone here.

There are over 12,000 police departments in this country PLUS sheriffs PLUS Federal law enforcement.

We don't need "police reform." We need media reform. Until we are no longer fed hysterical BS the moment there's an "If it bleeds, it leads" opportunity, it's all a charade to do more harm than good. There are still people who buy into the "Hands Up/Don't Shoot" lie, and think Trayvon Martin was a 9 year old kid because those are the pics that got shown over and over again, while his gangsta Facebook account was shut down. And we all learned that there was such a thing as a "white Hispanic," 'cause that matters.

These police departments are under local control. The local citizens vote in the mayor, who often appoints the police chief (or the chief gets voted into office) and are enforcing all the controlling laws that The People love to have enacted. The "I can't breathe" guy was in the process of being apprehended for selling single cigarettes on the street, and the government protected its revenue stream. The People were there when that law was passed, then they wet their pants with "Don't the police have anything better to do?" Uh, you jerks got the law on the books. You don't want it enforced? It's all these laws that bring about all these conflicts.

My police department is fine. It is the responsibility of my community, not any of you and not the Fed. The police department in Minneapolis and elsewhere is the responsibility of those folks, as are the accepted standards of community behaviour.

There was a Community Organizer in the White House for nearly a decade who would have been receptive to all sorts of police reform and all sorts of statue-toppling (not that they are the purview of the Fed), but this stuff serves a better [radical] purpose today.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

THIS is who police may be encountering at a "minor traffic stop":
    [​IMG]

That little 6 year old girl was holding her father's hand when he (Anthony Robinson) was shot and killed at 6PM on July 5th in The Bronx. The killer is still at large, whoever he may be. One of 8 killing in NYC over 4th of July weekend. Poor little kid.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.