Police: Rape Suspect, Freed Due To Virus, Kills His Accuser In Virginia

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

How is one related to the other John?
    Just what do you mean when you say "get off the backs of the Police Departments"?
    Am I wrong for expecting the police to respect a citizens civil rights?
    Am I wrong to expect a Police Officer to adhere to his training?
    Am I wrong to expect a Police Officer to be a professional and control his temper
    Am I wrong to expect a Police Officer to treat his arrestees as the innocent citizens they are?( Please see the 5th and 14th Amendments to the US Constitution)
    Am I wrong to expect Police Officers to monitor their own and to weed out the bad apples?
    Am I wrong as a taxpaying citizen to have the right to hold Officers to the rule of law, under the auspices of a Police Accountability Board?

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Of course you’re not wrong to want those things Pete but with that, I have a question.

How is it that you label a person being released from prison and then kills someone as Republican fear mongering but yet, are so forgiving of the fear mongering played by the Dems in relation to a few bad cops?

Can’t have it both ways bro........

Martin Alonzo and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

From what I have read with regard to the OP, those prisons that are released are under house arrest...then I read that a released prison violated that and did something I can't remember what but it ended up badly. I'm not sure if this is the one I read about.

Everyone is aware there would be risks releasing prisoners. I just feel sad for those who testified against their perpetrators if they were released.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I did, didn't I? Good.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Dwight Ward

Registered

Peter, John has a point. Single instances of police misconduct have been used to rile people up. We can't have it both ways.

6. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry, I don't see it that way. Police are out of control in this nation. Look at some of the statements coming out of the mouths of our employees. Especially the Unions.
    I just expect accountability. Nothing more nothing less. We just had a yahoo sheriff up north of here attend a rally on a taxpayer paid for Patrol boat with three taxpayer on duty Deputies flying a friggen trump flag for gods sake. Is that ok, just fine?

But back to the original, Police misconduct is much more common that the crap pulled by these criminals. The discussion was about the republican penchant started by Lee Atwater to spread fear, and paint an opponent as being "soft on crime". Pick a few wildly horribly vicious act perform by some real animals and present it as the norm.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Dwight Ward

Registered

Points well taken. I'm familiar with demagogue Atwater.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No more so than they were when Obama was president, but I'll bet you didn't care then. Why? Because the media didn't put it in front of you, and they didn't put it in front of you because it didn't advance their agenda. Also, where they are out of control, as you say, it seems usually to be in cities that have been under Democrat control for decades. Rather, I would say that Democrats are out of control.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Lord please.......

The per capita ratio is astounding Pete. You’re comparing 700,000 + police officers plus the Sheriff’s department plus the DHS and the FBI and the whatever to the number of prisoners who have been released.

Think about your statement.
    If a Full One Hundred police officers went rogue, that’s still only .00014% of bad cops compared to say if a thousand prisoners were released and only 1 kills someone.

Now, for one other thing. You don’t have a problem one with the Postal Union(s) backing Biden but hang ‘em high cause the police unions are backing D. Trump and looky looky there’s one of ‘em on a boat with a Trump flag!!

Now.....what’s this about “the truth doesn’t mean anything here??

Lois Winters likes this.
  10. Dwight Ward

Registered

Let's find some middle ground here. There are sick, sadistic prison guards. There are sick, sadistic cops. They gravitate to these jobs because of the power they can hold over people. There may not be typical but they are there. From the getgo the purpose of police unions has been to protect these types. Personality tests can spot these people and they can be denied employment as police. Some locales may do this to some extent but it can be done vigorously everywhere and drastically reduce the incidences.of police brutality.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Lois Winters and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/cop-doc/201709/pre-employment-psychological-screening-cops
    https://work.chron.com/tips-passing-correctional-officer-psych-evaluation-25636.html

12. Dwight Ward

Registered

Bobby, I'm guessing that your point is that testing already takes place. Question arise. Enough testing? In-depth testing? In enough places? I couldn't bring up the first article - frustrating. The second article more or less admits that the typical test is basic and easy to pass unless you have a history of very aggressive or criminal behavior..
    The telling point is the result - there are aggressive, sadistic police out there that the system hasn't weeded out. The unions protect them. Their usual punishment is loss of a few weeks salary. If they get fired from one force they easily find jobs with another. Chauvin should have never been a cop.
    I don't want to defund the police or persecute them, but we need to be careful about who we let be policemen.

Why Some People Hate Cops

13. Dwight Ward

Registered

The guy in the video makes a point that hadn't occurred to me. A sadistic cop treats EVERYONE as inferior, whites and blacks. He may not be racist, but a black person who runs into him and gets badly treated is likely to think it's because he's racist. Interesting.

Lois Winters likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I do not think the initial tests are the problem.
    I’m not sure but unless there is a major conflict that arises causing an officer to have to report for psych eval, the pre-employment test is all that is performed for the entire period of employment. I could be wrong and probably am for indeed, each state and city has their own rule book.

The reason I brought that up is that I know from up close and very personal experience that a person can change at the drop of a hat depending on the amount of stress that is applied.
    It’s not just those with high profile jobs like police persons because anyone with a brain can turn at any time and sometimes for the smallest of reasons.
    I would like to hear that the most crime plagued cities evaluated their officers at least once a year but I do not know if that would hurt the forces or help them.

Indeed, it was the city of Atlanta who first hired the roughest cops that could be found nationwide. They were the Red Dogs and they were saddled with the job of getting rid of the gangs and cleaning up the worst drug infested area of Atlanta. The tonnage of drugs and the number of illegal weapons they brought in was astounding but not without some incidents that the city in general turned its eyes from.
    They’ve been disbanded for a number of years and I’m not fully condoning how they accomplished their mission but they did what they were hired to do.

15. Dwight Ward

Registered

You're saying anyone could fall into aggressive behavior depending on their stressors. Agreed. But that only emphasizes that those of steady sadistic tendencies should not be policemen. They are already in their place of aggression without any stressors.
    What the rough cops in Atlanta accomplished could have been done with less aggressive cops, just not as quickly, I'm guessing.
    I hear myself sounding like some kind of authority in this or having special insight. I don't.