Phobic?

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Bobby Cole, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Perhaps just a rant, but how in the world did the word Homophobic come into being or for that matter, anytime where phobic is used other than to denote fear?

Homo has it’s roots in Latin meaning Human or Man and Phobia has the same roots meaning fear. Thus, unless someone is afraid of humans, the word is used improperly and “stupidly” if I may use the word Obama made famous.

I know I have run across several more words that, even though they are defined differently in Wiki and the new Websters, are indeed targets for a good rant.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So, actually, I want to (respectfully) disagree with you here, @Bobby Cole . I think that “homo” means more like “same”. The word you are thinking of about mankind, homosapiens, means something akin to same species.
    Homogenized milk is milk where the milk and cream have all been blended together, and the whole bottle is the same, as opposed to fresh milk, where the cream comes to the top.
    In this case, homophobia would be someone who is afraid of something that is the same, but the homo part is short for homosexual; so I think that it is aptly used.

Lois Winters and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

And also respectfully, homo has indeed been placed as a short version of homosexual but it’s just that, a shorten version.
    Alas, in the world of chemistry your analysis of the word homogenized is correct but it doesn’t necessarily apply to homophobic or at the very least, what each part of the Latin dedications mean.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

About 2:30 into the clip, Ben also has some thoughts about it.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

True enough. Now, unless you embrace homosexuality, you are considered homophobic. I can't embrace homosexuality because the Bible tells me that it's wrong. But I don't hate them, I wouldn't refuse to hire them, and I'm certainly not afraid of them. Usually, I don't give it much thought at all.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I think it’s just the “phobic” thing that when I hear it placed in a accusatory way that bugs me.

If it is suspected that we hate people from another country, we’re xenophobic? I’m certainly not afraid of foreigners nor am I afraid of gays as in homophobic.
    Fact is, thus far I haven’t found anyone or anyone that I am phobic of but alas, I live in this new world of pointy fingers so I’ll just have to bite the bullet.
    Maybe eventually, someone will point a finger at me and call me Bobbyphobic. That’s the fear of looking at myself or the fear of myself, which I’m not, but maybe someday.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

San Francisco Detective Adrian Monk is he most phobic person I ever saw!

Hal

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Perhaps I am just phobic about folks with phobias or even being phobic.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have the same response to "homophobic." I'm certainly not afraid of homosexuals; more like disgusted and repelled. Of course I'm not allowed to express my thoughts on that subject but "they" can label me as they see fit. To my narrow way of thinking, some things are an abomination and no amount of pride parades is going to change that.

That said, one of my best friends in the world is a gay man. I suppose our individual sexuality has never entered into conversation or been a factor in our friendship... same as with heterosexual friends. Gasp.

Hal Pollner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm finding you all's opinions enlightening. I have odd conflicts in attitudes towards homosexuals.. On the one hand, I believe they may have no choice in the matter and so are worthy of respect. On the other, I'm repulsed by the idea of men having sex with each other.

In Berkeley, in 1972 I lived with Howard, a gay black man. I think partly I was trying to prove to myself that my progressive ideas of tolerance were practical. I was comfortable when it was just the two of us. When he had his lovers over I couldn't be around. Howard had sporadic encounters but no real caring relationships. I felt bad for him..

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  11. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken, don't sat 'embrace' homosexuality. It gives me the shudders.