Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Ike Willis, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes krissttina…rain checks are annoying and make the savings worth 0…and you have to carry that little piece of paper around with you until they restock.

Another pet peeve…addictions. I'm addicted to sweets, especially when they're "2 for the price of one".
    Others are addicted to this:

11352830_5070657_pm.jpg

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

While I was growing up I was peeved at most everything. But, the one thing that caused me the most irritation was the ol' third degree. It would go something like this.
    My bedroom door noisily opening.
    Mom. "C'mon, it's time to get up".
    I stumble out to the breakfast table, sit and spoon in a mouth full of oatmeal. Then it starts.
    Mom. "Did you finish your homework last night"? This would be followed by a "answer me young man" if I failed to answer immediately. My mom always, ALWAYS, asked questions just as you took in a mouthful of food. And, she always demanded an answer.
    Me. "esh".
    I bite off a piece of bacon.
    Mom. "Don't forget your homework and leave it here like you did last week, you hear"?
    Me, chewing, "ecsh".
    It's quiet. I fork in a heap of fried eggs.
    Mom. "And you get right home after school. Don't be hanging out with that bunch up the street, You hear"?
    Me. "Yetch", egg yolk running down my chin.
    One time, I spit the food I was chewing back onto my plate and answered one of her endless questions. That only earned me a slap aside my head, so I never did it again.
    The supper table was just more of the same, only with different questions.
    The last family Thanksgiving we all shared together, mom arranged for me to sit next to my aunt, mom's sister. During the meal, auntie did the same thing to me. The only thing missing was the "you hear" at the end of her questions. I was thinking, "what is it with these two"?
    I noted mom never spoke to dad at mealtimes. Once, she tried that same tactic on him. He gave her a long, STFU look and kept on chewing. For some reason, that never worked for me.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I hate it when this happens...

393554_10150501739578628_1244008163_n.jpg

Ruby Begonia and Ike Willis like this.
  4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's an honest to goodness pet peeve of mine in this forum, if I may be so bold to rant….it unintentionally happens to me at least once everyday.

(Disclaimer: I'm not as "peeved" as this rant may sound. That's what the written word does…another dilemma)

I'm slower at posting than most of the members here. I look at my keys, I don't type fast, and my personality is rather quiet and relaxed (I probably don't come across as quiet online because I add a lot of hahaha's …lol…which sounds so loud, and I can be a little opinionated online). When anyone posts they have 5 minutes to Edit before it shows up as an edited post. One may correct typos/grammar, tweak the response, and add to it or delete parts.

I like to use my 5 minutes often so I know that no one will misunderstand me or misinterpret me. I proofread, rework it for clarity, add color or bold or italic or whatever. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to me, someone is on my heels quoting my first draft and has unintentionally taken issue with something I didn't mean before my 5 minute allotment of time is up.

There's really no solution. I try to do all my tweaking before posting but inevitably I find something, after the fact, to change. I'm probably just a lone ranter on this subject.

Just call me The Lone Ranter ...quick draw in slow motion haha
    Unknown.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  5. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I get what you are saying Lara. .. You're a great poster BTW!
    It probably has happened to all of us, the things you mention .. I know it has for me, as I'm still learning how this board works. I've only been on vBulletin software boards before this. So I'm still learning.
    I guess that's a good thing.:D

Ruby Begonia and Lara Moss like this.
  6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Bonnie. I actually like this software used here because you can "like" posts which is fun to express and immediate. I also like that you can set up private conversations and include others into the conversation if need be. That goes beyond PM's as far as I know. What I don't like is that none of my photos from my camera will post here unless I resize them. Terry told me how to resize them but so far I've been too lazy :rolleyes:…well it's a lot of trouble for a lot of photos.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I always read back through my posts before I push the send button; but (magically?), once I push that little button, there appears all of my spelling and auto-correct errors.
    Why don't they show up when I proofread ?
    Some of them will actually become invisible until the next day, or whenever I read that post again, and it is too late to edit the mistake .
    Another thing that happens to me sometimes is that somehow, I accident post something when I am only halfway through writing it.
    So, while I am frantically trying to edit my post and put on the part that got left off the first time ; the original post is already there online for people to read the part that exists, and maybe wonder why I just stopped in the middle of a sentence.

The only redeeming grace that I know about this, @Lara Moss , is that it seems to happen to all of us at one time or another, at least in some form.
    I was reading a post that @Corie Henson wrote this morning, and there it was........stopped in mid-sentence......just like some of mine have done. Now we have to wait until she comes back and discovered it to see what the rest of the post was going to tell us.
    I think that it just goes to show us that nothing is quite like life in a senior's forum.......

8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith, that proofreading issue is not exclusive to seniors. Actually it doesn't connect with age because I regularly find spelling or grammar errors in the write ups of the younger employees in our office. Those errors are obviously typing mistakes or what we call typographical errors. I think it is the eyes that is inflicting the damage on our writings because sometimes the brain is too fast for the eyes and the fingers as well. My husband would always tell me that when I would write an official memo, I should read it twice and if possible, have someone read it for me (to find mistakes).

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My wife does that, or something similar. We don't ride buses but she always waits until after the cashier has rung up her groceries before reaching for her purse and beginning the arduous search for a debit card, as if surprised that she would be asked to pay for her groceries. It drives me crazy. Instead of talking during that whole time, she could have had everything ready to check out, so that we can leave and the people behind us don't have to wait.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

When people call for customer service and don't have their account number ready or have to dig for their credit card or glasses when calling to make a payment. Have it ready before you call! Please! Calls are timed and service reps must keep the minutes within the allotment....or lose their jobs. Also, don't ask the rep to hang on while you visit the can. The flush is audible and disgusting.

Lara Moss likes this.
  11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Omg…who does that haha

12. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL, you'd be surprised. :D

Lara Moss likes this.