Older, High-milage Vehicle Maintenance

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Our Durango is a 2005, with 170,488 miles on it.

We've used BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner to fix our gas gauge/unclog the lines. We keep an extra can handy, if we need another dose.
    We got most of our engine oil leaks fixed, except for the rear main seal. The transmission would have to be dropped to replace the gasket..........and that wouldn't be very cheap. So, the mechanic told us to put a bottle of Blue Devil Rear Main Sealer in the oil. Looks like we will have to add another one. If the oil leak continues, will take it in.
    Have used both Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner and Chevron Fuel System Cleaner before. The BG 44K has very high recommendations and is probably better than either of these.
    We also use Quaker State High Mileage oil.

So, do you use any Treatments and/or Additives in your vehicle? I think it's almost imperative to use them in an older/high mileage vehicle.

Frank Sanoica and Ed Wilson like this.
  2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Many years ago I added STP to my motor oil for a reason I can't remember. STP is very thick so it thickened the oil as well. One very cold morning my car would not turn over because the cold made the oil with STP thicker. I had to have the car towed to a garage where ordinary motor oil replaced what had turned into molasses.

Have you ever had your radiator flushed? That's another possible problem area for a high mileage vehicle. Mine once clogged on an old vehicle and the mechanic back-flushed the radiator. Don't remember if it helped or not.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh

When I was young and easily misled, I actually tried some of the stop-leak products; they did not work, just as I, being the ever-skeptic, had expected. With polymeric type oil seals, the theory is that strong solvent swells the rubber of a leaking seal, causing it to grasp the shaft again. Back then, most rear main bearing seals were not RUBBER, but rather woven felt-like material, unaffected by solvent anyway. Here is a "rope" seal inserted in the rear main bearing cap:

upload_2020-12-9_21-11-34.jpeg

Here is a superior silicone rubber type rear main seal:

upload_2020-12-9_21-12-39.jpeg

The BEST rear main seal method uses a separate retainer to carry the seal, and bolts on the end of the engine block, sealed with a flat gasket. Used on virtually ALL heavy truck engines:
    [​IMG]\

I currently use three vehicles alternately; all have in excess of 150,000 miles on them, NONE has ever leaked oil, nor had any leak preventive magic applied.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2020
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Frank, the name is Cody, with a "d", not a "r". Just to let you know.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, bottom line is...........we've had oil leaks. Had both valve covers replaced, because both had leaks and the gasket in our oil pan.

Some people get lucky when it comes to older/high-mileage vehicle repairs and other people not so much. We've had repairs done on our Durango engine, including new fuel injectors. Have had our A/C compressor changed, but still seem to have a problem with the A/C. Will have that checked out early next summer. Funny, but we went without A/C for a couple of years when we lived in northeastern Florida. Having to keep windows open became a "hot and sticky" thing, so got the A/C fixed/recharged, but still.

Have a "ticking" noise going on, after we shut our engine off. Seems like it is something with the computer. Got a new/rebuilt-guaranteed computer, had it installed, but "ticking" noise still there. Repair shop didn't charge us for the install. They told us the "ticking" was due to the computer. Obviously it wasn't, so no-charge for the install.

One thing for sure, with some older/high-mileage vehicles, it takes money to keep them going. If the money isn't necessarily there, something else has to be tried, like additives/treatments. If they don't work, then the repair has to be done.

BTW, when bought in Dec 2005, as a used vehicle, it already had 24,000 miles on it. It was sold new in March 2005.

6. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In the sixties I knew a guy with a 53chevy who was waiting patiently to see his odometer turn over at 100,000 miles. He worked sanitation in NYC and while he was away from his car, someone moved it and when he went to go home it was 100,000.01. He was quite upset to have missed that milestone. as that was a BIG thing back then.
    My brother went to buy a car and the salesman said what good trade in value the model had. Tim said we never trade in our cars. It's true. My family pretty much buries them where they quit and plant geraniums in them. ; )
    But mileage can get several hundred thousand miles these days if you change the oil as needed. My beef is all the dashboard lites and the tires are much worse than those of old. They don't fit the rims or the valves are crap.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Many years ago I had a Ford Torino and among it's many problems, the gas gauge didn't work. I took out the instrument cluster and found the wire going to the gauge was broken off so I soldered it back on. While there, the odometer was accessible. Hmmm! I could not resist turning the mileage back 20K. I swear it seemed to run better. (My imagination)

Frank Sanoica likes this.