Newly Diagnosed And Frankly, It's Scary

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth
    Could be a stone which is treatable, what you're describing how the pain radiates, remind me how my uncle many years ago describe his pain when they found stones.
    I can tell you first-hand that whatever I have a new symptom that could be related to a medical problem l have I think the worst.
    Be positive but also be diligent about seeking help when needed.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Al Amoling

Taking any sodium compound is counterproductive in the case of sodium-induced water retention. For me, my feet and lower legs swell up due to excess retained water; thus I must limit sodium intake.

Damned if one does, damned if one doesn't!

Frank

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha. I was testy by the time I was getting released. :D And no, I don't have edema. My shinbone looks like it would cut someone. If anything, my skin seems thinner and my veins more prominent since I began chemo. Some people report that they get varicose veins or hemorrhoids from chemo but so far I've been spared those thrills.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'll just toss this out there while I'm venting. :D I hate that being "of a certain age" seems to make medical personnel assume that somehow I'm demented or having trouble ambulating. I was asked no less than 5 times yesterday if "I had fallen in the past week." My followup visits always state that I am "alert" and "respond appropriately." Maybe I should stare off into space and talk to my invisible friends, or doze off while they are speaking.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm fighting UVA Urology because the LPN who is in charge of my care goes into their system and makes appointments on my behalf. I call to ask what the heck they're for, and the response is "I need to see you." I'll push back and she says "I need to see you." These people are using me to fill out their billable hours. I'm actively seeking a replacement provider, and told her next time it happens I'm putting their billing dept (and anyone else I can think of) on written notice that I will not be dinged for excess cancellations and/or No-Shows for appointments I did not make.

These places put patient care at the bottom of the list of priorities. We are merely conduits to the cash our insurance providers have.

6. John Brunner

They're testing to see how easy it will be to control you.

7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I couldn't agree with you more. This past January I was having a difficult time swallowing felt like something was stuck in my throat. They told me they were going to do with scan they said okay figuring they will check my throat for foreign matter. What they did was an echocardiogram, I didn't going there for heart issues. They did check my thyroid also but they slipped in additional testing I didn't authorize.
    This is not the first time they've done this type of thing. We are now in the process I'm looking for a different family doctor.

8. John Brunner

Good luck, buddy. It horribly stinks. I had that same issue and got an endoscopy to look for the cause (there was none.) It went away on its own. No one said a thing about my heart being the cause.

When my GP (in the same UVA system) goes in the system to recommend a treatment or a referral, he always says "...if that's OK with you." At first I found it annoying. The next time I see him, I intend to thank him for it.

I miss my old [retired] doctor. Saw him for 25+ years. I drove 100 miles each way to see him after I moved. Such a good guy.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

John
    Same here I miss all original family doctor, he can look at you and tell you what's wrong he was amazing today they need to take 10 test to figure out what he would do in 2 seconds.

10. John Brunner

I would get my annual physical, and the old guy would look at my moles and say "This is this kind, this is that kind...nothing to worry about." The new GP said "You have a lot of moles. I'm gonna refer you to a dermatologist."

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Amen..lolol

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

At least they don’t continually ask you about wanting to hurt yourself. The last person who asked me that question I had to tell him, “heck no, I’m not into pain” followed with, “but whilst we are on the subject, which do you recommend, pills or a .45”?
    Yeah, I got that funny look.

But all that said, there are times when I get up out of bed and some muscle is causing a lot of pain. Sometimes it stems from a muscle cramp I had whilst sleeping and other times it’s because I slept wrong or just plain because. No real reason, just because. Sure, I sometimes get a little worried if it doesn’t go away when I believe it should and think the craziest thoughts but alas, it’s just my body wanting to get lazy so it gives me a reason to slow down.

I guess all I’m trying to say is that even though you’re on a ton of medications, it doesn’t necessarily mean that yet another life threatening thing is happening. Yeah, I know you’ve told yourself that but maybe it’s good to see that someone else thinks the same thing.
    At any rate, luv ya and still praying for you.

13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

John
    I know what you mean, unfortunately there Comes A Time and you need the advice of a doctor you don't have any choice.
    Today I can't just call my doctor and say I need a refill on a prescription they want you to come in more money in their pockets.
    I'm not one that likes to run to the doctor has to be for something significant, a few years ago I bang my head and had strong headaches. My family pushed and pushed until I finally agreed to see a doctor. He sent me 4 an MRI which showed I did not have concussion, however I did have I've benign brain tumor on the pituitary gland.
    Long story short I was told long as it doesn't grow I should be fine, they set up an MRI schedule to make sure it was not growing. First I went 3 months then every 6 months then once a year. I cancelled after a few years the MRI, I figured I had no clue how long I had this if it's not growing why bother doing additional testing. The doctor says the first problem I might see would be with my eyes it would with my sight, especially my peripheral vision, then I could go blind, second would be headaches.
    I've been experiencing headache and flashes and movement in my peripheral vision.
    You know I have no idea why I told you all this.Maybe I just needed to get it out because I feel effects my writing, my thoughts, and my memory. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining cuz I'm not, however if I do goof while chatting I have a built-in excuse haha.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Oh, I have had the "mental evaluation" as well. What's annoying is that they ask if you have been depressed... like a new cancer patient would be emotionally stable and not depressed. :rolleyes: Seriously, if I wanted to die would I be submitting to chemo and all the other unpleasantness???

Luv you and your sweet wife, too! I appreciate the support from both of you.

15. John Brunner

You talk as much as you want to. I feel the same way whining about my bladder issues, all because I'm not willing to do what I'm told I need to do. But 80% of my inability to wrap my head around it (shut up, Beth) is this practice that I'm currently stuck with. I went in Monday for the urodynamics follow up, the LPN asked if I wanted the "self-catheter teacher" to come an and do her thing, I declined (having already been through that), and told her to just get the supplies and I was going home. Guess who walks through the door? The self-catheter teacher, all surprised that the LPN must have misunderstood me...and she gave me the hard sell on "It will just take a minute." "Just take it out of the package." "Just look at it." "Are you sure you don't want to give it a try?" I was pissed!!!

I have loss of control on 2 levels: the medical thing I need to do, and the urologist that makes appointments on my behalf and does not listen to what I have to say. I can't rely on the urologist to help me through the process because I have no trust.

Regarding your new symptoms: you might wish to get another MRI just for your peace of mind, or to halt progress of a bad thing. It's about the most non-intrusive thing they could do for you.