New Career

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Corie Henson, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

With the recent vacation of my brother in law and his family, I learned that they are both doing good in their job working as caregivers. My brother-in-law used to manage a retail business, their supplies are special steel that they import from Japan. When he migrated to the US, he got a job that would pay him and it didn't matter what kind of job. He was hired as a seller in the fish market. After sometime, he got an invitation to apply for a caregiver's job. Part of the application was an exam and when hired, he underwent training. Now he is earning pretty good in that job.

Considering that my brother-in-law was already 62 at the time of his training, that would not happen here in the Philippines. His wife who is now 60 followed suit and got the same job but in a different nursing home. Truly America is a free country with no discrimination.

2. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

One of the industries that will require more and more workers is geriatric care. It's no secret... there's a bunch of us whose time when we need some extra care is getting closer and closer. There just won't be enough of the younger generation either capable of or wanting to assist with our care. The caregiver force will need supplemented by "our own" who are still able to assist.
    I applaud your BIL and his wife for doing their part in assisting those in need to have the care they deserve.

Holly Saunders and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson It's always so nice to hear about people willing and able to work. There sure seem to be many these days who don't care to do so. For sure, the elder sector is growing, and there are also a large number of disabled who are living longer and will need ongoing care. I saw an article the other day about China employing more robots in the manufacturing and repair sectors, and it seems that would put some out of work there. I wonder if it will ever come to pass that robots are used as caregivers? Robots are being used in hospital pharmacies and probably ones outside of hospitals, as well. That concerns me, even though I was given a wrong medicine by a human pharmacist before. Imagine if the robot system was hacked?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

There is a move here to give pension to senior who are 70 years old and above. The reason is primary the age because the probability of getting a job is almost nil. But I am not for it because my idea is to make the aged citizens productive. How about giving them jobs instead of a dole out? Pardon me but I will cite Singapore again. In lieu of a pension, they always have work vacancies for senior citizen. The taxi driver said (he is past 70 already) that having a job and earning your own money gives you the dignity and a feeling of achievement somehow. He is right. If he would just receive a pension then maybe he will not be as happy as now that he has a job.