My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Fifty N95 Mask.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Trevalius Guyus and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Shirley Martin No, it's a red bellied woodpecker. The Ladderback seems to be indigenous to parts of Texas and a strip along the southern parts of New Mexico, Arizona and California then into Mexico (according to Audubon.) So many woodpeckers have nearly identical markings, with the red heads and the black & white spots. The downy and the hairy are hard for me to tell apart unless they are sitting side-by-side.

Here are the 8 species of woodpecker we get here. I've seen the red bellied, the pileated, the hairy, the downy, and the northern flicker quite often on my property. I hear the pileated almost every day, and sometimes see a pair of them flying side-by-side from one side of my property to the other (quite the impressive sight.) I've not seen the yellow-bellied sapsucker (only here in the winter), the red-headed woodpecker (supposedly common in the state), and the once-endangered/still rare red-cockaded woodpecker (found mostly in protected wildlife refuges or national forests.)

Here's a pic of the flicker, just because it's the only one that ain't black & white & red all over:

[​IMG]

I often see a pair of them up in a dead tree, hanging on to the top-most vertical branch on opposite sides.

I think I got that peanut ring at a bird feeder/food place in Charlottesville. Walmart and Amazon both carry them.

I put mine waaayyyyyyy up high by hoisting it over a tall branch. I could see the pileateds hanging on it from inside my house, but never got a very good look at them because I put it far from the house and they're so skittish. For all the years I had a bunch of feeders out near the house with tons of birds, I never saw a pileated come that close, even with game cameras set up while I was at work all day. They're quite the contrast to the smaller birds that would molest me Hitchcock-style as I was refilling the feeders.

(Gee, I turned this into a bird thread.)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Shoes that I sent back the day after they arrived ,as I believe they have been worn and I don’t wear second hand shoes :mad::( No thank you :(
    The sandals are a good brand which I bought on special for $150 , as soon as I opened the box it was very noticeable they had been worn , Soles inside the shoe were scratched as well as noticeable foot / sweat marks/ toe marks .

white soles pitted and dirty, scuff marks on back of shoe like someone had used the other shoe to take one off
    stains on the t bar strap and ankle strap .

I didn’t even try them on and sanitised my hands after touching them due to it being quite obvious they had been worn before

5AFEF21A-D589-4FE5-B50D-9979982719ED.jpeg 0D0EDC4D-160C-4906-A39F-1401C4905255.jpeg 864AECE5-2E07-4629-B4CA-4BA97106CDC1.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    John Brunner likes this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Obviously a pair that was returned by the original buyer and not discarded by the store because of its condition. There are somethings that I just won't buy online and this is one reason why I won't.

5. John Brunner

The problem is that local selection of shoes and clothes becomes harder and harder to find.

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess that's why I'm still wearing shoes I had ten years ago.:rolleyes:

7. John Brunner

Yeh, I'm a "latent fashionista" myself.

It's really frustrating. I needed a new pair of work boots for around the property, and was about ready to do the online thing when I thought of Tractor Supply. Fortunately, I was able to find a pair in my size. I got small feet for a guy. Now that I think about it, they sell jeans. too.

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Ooooh, I'm so excited!!! I recently discovered a new Kitchenaid "gadget" for my stand mixer, so after watching a few videos I ordered a "ceramic bread bowl" and a dough scraper. It's supposed to be here tomorrow. upssmiley1.gif

Which reminds me, I need to go check the expiration dates on my flour and yeast. :D

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Tractor Supply is where we bought my Heavy-Duty Mucking Boots for when we clean the snow off of our boat. I use to have a pair years ago, when I owned horses.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We order, and received, from Amazon, a new 1 1/2 inch Topper for our bed. Already have a 3 inch one on, but, for whatever reason, it now feels like sleeping on a 2 x 4. The new Topper is nice and cushy!
    Then, yesterday, we ordered, from Khol's, for my wife's birthday, a new Puffer Winter Coat. Her other one, she had for numerous years and the "Puffer" has definitely came out of it. A couple of weeks ago, I got a man's Puffer that is a Western style with two yokes on the front and one on the back. Got this from online Boot Barn.

11. John Brunner

This thread is useless without pics.

Do you mean the attachment that looks like a spatula blade/paddle?

ANdI've nver
    I bought a pair of Caterpillar work boots and then some mucking boots (up to my knees) for wading through the creek as I look for arrowheads. In the summer I'll take off my shoes & socks.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Ceramic bread bowl...

KitchenAid Bread Bowl.jpeg

Dough/Bowl scrapers...

scraper.jpeg

Kate Ellery and John Brunner like this.
  13. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’m going to give up buying stuff online ….just lately I’ve had nothing but disappointment especially dealing with eBay , items advertised as being in Australia when they are in China .

The latest is 4 sheer eyelet curtains I bought to replace the curtains in the guest bedroom and my sewing room.
    They were in Australia..

They where advertised as 165 cm ( about 5.5 foot wide ) x 220 drop .. is about the old 7 ft drop ……so I measured the existing sheer curtains in guest bedroom ….yep …..they fit well and are the same size ( replacing grey with ivory colour ) .
    On receiving curtains they are barely 140 cm wide ..about 4.5 foot ….( each curtain about 12 inches narrower than advertised ) way to narrow so now I’ve had to go through all the hassle of sending them back ..so no more online buying for me for now after getting the dirty / worn shoes and now stuff not as advertised

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  14. Kate Ellery

Registered

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I gotta do a quick review on these because so far I really like them. They are a replacement for a 12 year old [discontinued] Honeywell set.

I set the Base and the three transmitters side-by-side to test for consistency.
    -The Temp readings were 70.5; 70.0; 69.8; 69.3 (a 1.2° spread)
    -The Humidity readings were 44; 43; 43; 43 (a 1% absolute spread)
    That's pretty darned good for something so inexpensive. It took 12 years for the Honeywell hygrometers to lose their accuracy (they read 32/43/46 in the same location.)

>The Base has a backlight you turn on/off and that times out.
    >The Base displays readings from 2 locations: the Base (local) Temp & Humidity are fixed at the bottom, and the top reading that either constantly cycles through the data from the remote transmitters or it can be locked in on the transmitter of your choice.
    >There is a Rising/Steady/Declining trend indicator for the temp and for the humidity readings for the Base and from each transmitter.
    >The unit retains a Min/Max reading for the Base and for each transmitter that you manually clear or that you set to automatically clear on a 24 hour cycle.

The Base came with one transmitter ($21) and I bought two solo transmitters ($15/ea.) Three remote transmitters are its max capacity, so including the Base that's a max of 4 monitored locations. I wish I had bought a second Base/transmitter set and then just one solo transmitter, because for that extra $6 I could have a second Base that would read the temp/humidity at its location, and I could read the signals from all 3 remote transmitters at both Bases. I tried to cancel my order to change it, but I thought of it too late. It's not worth messing with a return...but it would have been worth the $6 upcharge to get a second Base had I thought of it when I placed the order.