Mr. Coffee Nerves And Postum

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher

Same here. First taste of beer turned my stomach......I refrained for years until in my 20s, overheated and overworked, I forced down a Mickey's Malt Liquor. That stuff can grow on you. Almost a year ago, going on kidney dialysis, meant no alky, haven't had a drop since.

Frank

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oddly, I have always loved beer. I don't like whisky or many other alcoholic beverages, and I don't like wine. I have 2 or 3 beers a week, usually with some sort of food that just "calls for it." :D

I really hate the dialysis for you; I know how disrupting and uncomfortable it is and I wish there was another solution for you, Frank.

Ken Anderson and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I remember Postum really well. as a teenager, I remember having Postum instead of coffee, although I also had a cup of coffee in the morning with my mom and dad.
    I don’t really remember the commercials, but when I read them, it did sound vaguely familiar, so I think that I probably did see that back in the day.
    Postum was a cereal drink made by Post, then General Foods, and then they stopped making it. An independent company bought the rights to make Postum again, so it is now on the market, although not in very many stores. It is around $10 for the little 8 oz. container, so not cheap, and it now comes in three flavors, plain, coffee, and chocolate.
    The reviews on Amazon are mixed, with some people saying it tastes just like they remembered, and other people saying that it is noting like the “old Postum” was.
    I have been thinking about trying some, but not sure which flavor to try. You can save money if you get a 3-pack variety pack; but then I would be stuck with all three if I decided that I do not like it anymore.
    I think that if I do get some, I will try out the original flavor and see if it still tastes like I remember.

There is also Pero and Cafix, and a few others that are similar, but I don’t see any in the grocery store anymore.

568C1EA3-2ACC-4018-ACA9-09658B43C5AE.jpeg

Frank Sanoica and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My grandmother drank this a lot of mornings.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

As for coffee. We drink Folgers 50/50 and have for almost 30 years. I could not handle the full body coffee
    due to heart issue at the time. But I can drink this with no problems.
    I have 3 cups of morning , but maybe 4 in winter. I like iced coffee also.

6. Yvonne Smith

I have been wanting to try some of the coffee substitutes, like Postum, and have been looking at the different options, the prices, and reading the reviews. For all of them, there are people who say it is the very best and someone else who said they threw it out, it was so awful.
    Not much help there….

So next, I just started reading more about the benefits of each one, and it looks like this one, called “Dandy Blend”, and has dandelion root, beet root, and chicory roots in it, might be the healthiest one.
    I have read before about the dandelion detox teas that are for helping kidneys and liver, and since I have kidney failure, I think that this would be a good beverage for me.
    Even if I do not like it hot, I can drink most of them if they are cold and blended as an iced coffee drink in the summer, so one way or the other, I will drink it.
    It arrives tomorrow, so I can report back in on flavor once I have tried it.

0D31B105-55ED-4C2E-999A-8AA8AF8754D2.jpeg

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I quit drinking coffee for a while, and even tried Postum for a bit.

The biggest difference I noticed (after getting over the headaches) was that when I woke up in the morning, I was awake. I did not feel groggy, and I did not need that cup/pot of coffee to "get going."

Regarding those ads: never saw them. But I recall Postum from back then.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. John Brunner

Amazing, isn't it?

Just like smoking...our bodies try to cough it up, yet we force it.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'd be interested in tasting some of the "coffee substitutes," but not enough to actually buy them. I loves me some coffee. :D

10. John Brunner

There are a bunch of different types of tea out there. You gotta buy loose tea, not bags. I always drank hot tea when I was a kid because my British mother always had a pot of it at the ready (I never remember anyone drinking coffee, but recall us getting it ground at the store.)

Tea has less caffeine in it, and to me it feels as though it's a different caffeine...it's a mellower slow-release feel to it. I don't drink tea often these days, but when I do, it's a pleasant change.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

No, thanks. I'll stick to my coffee.

John Brunner and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I remember seeing the Postum ads and seeing it in the store, but I've never tried it. I don't think I even knew what it was supposed to be, I guess because if I wanted coffee, I'd have coffee. I think I thought it was an instant coffee.

John Brunner and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

People who do not drink coffee often drank Postum, like the LDS and the SDA churches, and maybe some others besides that. When I was a member of the Mormon Church, I stopped drinking coffee, and drank Postum in the mornings. Nothing tastes like coffee to me, except coffee; but if you are just looking at it as a hot beverage and not a coffee substitute, then it tastes fine.

This article is a couple of years old, but explains really well what Postum is, and how it was developed.
    https://spectrummagazine.org/article/2018/04/28/postum-making-comeback

Ken Anderson and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson

As a kid, I remember my maternal grandma preparing Postum instead of coffee.Not old enough to understand the ideas involved, I sensed it replaced coffee somehow, for some reason. Then somehow a jar of it appeared on our pantry shelf, and I of course had to investigate. I distinctly remember the stuff stank when opened unlike any other concoction I had smelled for human consumption!

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith

Thanks! I enjoyed reading that!

Frank