Making Your Own Jewelry

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Silvia Benoit, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

See...everybody knows a woman won't ride a horse wearing 10 inches earrings, long necklaces or other kind of dangerous jewelry while riding / doing farm and ranch's chores.....but it doesn't mean they don't like them / wear them in other occasions.
    My mother and my sisters were avid riders but they never worn jewelry while on top of the saddle.

Faye Fox and Shirley Martin like this.
  2. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Sure....

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Silvia, you live in a very different part of the U.S. than we do. Colorado living, other than in "big city" Denver is even very different than any part of Florida.........where we use to live. People, and what they wear, is different. The only time farm/ranch types go into a big city is for a rodeo or horse related event. There are plenty of people in Dallas, Texas that will wear a cowboy hat, but many-to-a-lot don't know a thing about livestock, horses, cattle, farm equipment and on and on.

And, there are those folks that will visit their family farm/ranch and not want to do any kind of work while there. I knew a guy that was just like that.

How can I tell the ones that "know" about farming/ranching............the ones, like myself, that even if they no longer do the work or live on one, will continue talking about farming/ranching. That's how much they loved being around livestock and doing crops.

Now, back to the topic.

4. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I told you I don't know about farming / ranching. I was 9 y/o when the ranch was sold. I never told otherwise.
    What I told you was the ladies who do farming / ranching like jewelry as much as the ones who don't do such chores.
    The ladies who worked at our ranch gave to my mother lists with everything they liked from THE BIG CITY.
    I guess one thing is to own the ranch / farm and another is to work in one.

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

First of all, just how many years ago was it that those ladies, who worked on the family ranch, gave the lists to your mother??? Apparently, from what I know, and have seen, times have changed (somewhat anyway). You seem to think that all women love jewelry and I'm here to tell you different. I've researched it online and found that women on farms/ranches can like a necklace with some type of farm or ranch thing hanging from it and the same goes for a bracelet. Turquoise is very, very popular, as a jewelry item. I've seen some ladies at rodeos wearing that.

Of course there is a difference between owning a farm/ranch and working one. There are very rich folks that can own a ranch in Wyoming or Montana and not live on it or work it. They hire folks to do that for them. Some of my high school classmates, including myself, had parents that owned the farm, but we helped run it with them. For a number of years, I got away from any kind of agricultural stuff. Then, I attended my first rodeo and ended up buying two horses. Now, even though I no longer own horses, or compete in rodeo, my love for both is still very much there. I know different breeds of livestock, farm equipment and crops. My wife loves it that I still know this stuff and she has learned from me.

So, let's simply "agree to disagree" and go on with your thread.

6. Silvia Benoit

Registered

As I told you the ranch was sold when I was 9 y/o...to a family relative; I visit the place when I am in Argentina. Sure, the ladies from that time are all dead....but the fact remains they liked my mother's jewelry and the ones they saw on other ladies and / or magazines.
    Like I said...exposure has a lot to do in what a person wants / likes nd I am sure they worn the dresses / jewelry my mother gave to them from the city any chance they had. You could say the wives of the foreman and Agrarian Engineer could afford to pay for the pieces and the other ladies worn what my mother gave to them...or the European mentality of these people was the reason.....No idea.
    What I don't understand is the reason you created all of "this" for a pair of earrings I made for a dear friend...who likes them very much and lives in a rural area of NY.
    BRW: I never saw a rodeo when I was a kid......Rodeos are not a thing in my other country. Races yes. Rodeos no.

Faye Fox likes this.
  7. Silvia Benoit

Registered

[QUOTE
    So, let's simply "agree to disagree" and go on with your thread.[/QUOTE]

For some reason your last statement reminded me of what I used to say to my mother when she didn't give me what I wanted: "Mommy, I don't like what you say; I live".:)

Adiós.

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Thanks. I never learned to make rings. I took classes in quilting and collage but I never was interested in rings.

Faye Fox likes this.
  9. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Beth,

My friend just called in to ask if I could make a matching necklace (I knew it was coming)

I guess Cody will start a new debate about Necklaces and Farm Ladies. LOL

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Lives there a lady with soul so dead that she doesn't appreciate a pretty piece of jewelry? I don't think so. Be she farm lady, ranch lady or refined city lady.

11. Silvia Benoit

Registered

And, then, sometimes, the drama is the way we use to laugh a little. LOL

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I just happen to have a great passion for farm and ranch people, and, without a doubt, they are different from city folks. When we lived in Florida, I couldn't be around either. But, living here in northern Colorado, all I have to do is go to two different retail farm/ranch stores in our area. The one farm/ranch store (chain) sells baby chicks and rabbits. When the Covid restrictions end, will have breakfast at Ft. Collins Waffle House and head down the street to livestock auction to watch sale. Boy do I miss the smell! Really.

13. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Talking about other crafts I re-learned at the Ret. Teachers L. Center here is "Mafalda" a 56 y/o kid who never ages but tells the government / people mistakes in an "adorable way". She is world renown. His creator -Quino passed recently.

8F934817-0C2C-449A-AC9E-C2D350BFC6EE.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Faye Fox likes this.
  14. Silvia Benoit

Registered

LOL. Please, again, somebody rights up Mafalda. Thanks

Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

All you have to do is use the “edit” button at the bottom left side of your posts, and you can make corrections yourself, @Silvia Benoit .
    If you wait until the edit button is gone, then message either myself or Ken and we can make changes for you.

Faye Fox likes this.