Living The Plant-based Diet Lifestyle

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh I'm the same as you @Von Jones , I can't tolerate ice berg lettuce.. so if I'm going to use lettuce indoors (my hubs has it every night)..then I use baby leaf mixed soft lettuce...but I really am not keen on it. I can't have most things that go in a salad because they're acidic..tomatoes, onions, radishes, oils et al... and also because I have a hiatus Hernia ..then beans etc are out of the picture too or I get the worst Gerd attack despite being on Proton pump inhibitors...

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

During the summer months or just a very hot day I like to go to Subway and make up my own sub with veggies only. I tried the spinach leaves they always seem to get stuck between my teeth, then cucumbers, bean sprouts, both olives, shredded cheese, mozarella and top it off with honey mustard on honey wheat bun. Later I'm chowing down chicken wings or something else. LOL.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I ordered a can of dehydrated black bean burger mix (made by Auguson Farms in Utah) from Amazon, and it is supposed to be here today. According to the directions , it takes about 1/4 cup of the mix and about the same amount of water, and then you just let it sit and reconstitute for a few minutes, form it into a burger patty, and cook it.
    The can cost just over $15 and has 38 servings, so that makes each patty less than 50 cents each, which is much cheaper than the frozen ones in the store.
    I can add in fresh veggies like carrots, spinach, kale, and onions when I make the burger, and more seasoning if I want to do that; but it still will be quick and easy to make.
    I will be trying some to see how it tastes, and then will write a post and let everyone know if it was good or not. I think that this might be something that would be quick and easy for you to make, too, @Chrissy Cross .
    B0D90C1E-509F-4BD4-B766-34412C226F72.jpeg

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That does sound interesting @Yvonne Smith ....curious about how it tastes.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been gradually moving to a plant-based diet.

My biggest hangup right now is coming up with a few more simple traditional items to include in my meal rotation.

I'm fine with a bowl of beans and greens, zucchini casserole, pasta e fagioli, baked beans, eggplant parm, etc... I just need a few more simple meal ideas to fill in the gaps without a trip to the health food store for a trolley load of expensive things that I'm not likely to use.

Any simple ideas for a one or two person plant-based meal would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

I can recommend two places that I get ideas from, although I am more of an “Easy-to-make “ type of cook than a “follow-the-recipe” one.
    However, when I find an idea that seems easy to do, and looks like it would taste good to me, then I experiment.
    Anyway, to answer your question, my first suggestion would be youtube (font of all knowledge), and just do a search for vegan, vegetarian, or plant based diet or recipes, and all sorts of things should be on there.
    The other place that I get recipes is from ebooks at the Kindle store on amazon. Again, just do a search, and all sorts of recipe books will come up, many of them free or very cheap.

I also subscribe to BookGorilla.com , and they send me an email every day that has books on topics that I am interested in. Pretty much, everything that they send me is under $3, and lots of them are free.
    I get knit/crochet books, recipe books, health books, as well as just novels to read for relaxation.
    All you do is fill out a profile of what topics you are interested in, and you can be as explicit or as broad-based with this as you want to.
    They also sponsor a drawing for a free Kindle Fire every day, so you can also enter the drawing when you are going through your email from Book Gorilla.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  7. Nathaniel Roswell

Nathaniel Roswell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wooww that looks great yvonne. Same here. I mostly eat vegetables because that's what my friends recommended me and I really love it.

8. Dan Graham

Dan Graham Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

9. Dan Graham

Registered

My wife wants me to buy a Vitamix. I need to improve my diet because I am having more and more health issues. She doesn't seem to excited about it. So I told her I will buy the Vitamix but only if we are going to make a permanent change in our diet. I want to do the super food smoothie thing. Hopefully she will get on board.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Could you PM that link @Yvonne Smith...and thanks! :)

11. Yvonne Smith

I gesss I do not have the link anymore, and even the book seems to be gone. I bought it as a pdf file on ebay, and now the link shows up as unavailable when I look back at the purchase.
    The cheapest one they have now is about $6, which is still a lot cheaper than buying the actual book.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Welcome to the forum, @Dan Graham ! I see that you have been a member for about a month and have now started sharing conversations with the forum, which is awesome .
    My daughter gave me a Vitamix, and I just love that blender ! I have had several other makes of blenders, but nothing works as well as that Vitamix does; so it is well worth the extra money that it costs.

I use mine for protein drinks, green smoothies, and also to make fresh almond milk. Fresh almond milk is so rich and creamy, and nothing like that watery muck they sell at the grocery store, and it is very easy to make.
    I get the fresh unsalted almonds at Sam’s Club, and when I want to make almond milk, I soak about a cup of almonds overnight to soften them up. In the morning, rinse them off really well (the water turns brownish overnight from the skins) and then put them in the blender with a quart of water and blend really well. You can add vanilla, cacao beans, or other flavoring if you like that.
    I don’t mind the fiber since I am using it in a smoothie anyway, but if you are just drinking a glass of the almond milk plain, then some people strain out the bit of pulp that is left in the milk.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  13. Dan Graham

Registered

Thanks. I'll probably keep the fiber. I like pulp.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Harley Price

Harley Price Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I haven't eaten meat , fish or poultry for many years.
    I was really surprised recently that the McDonalds in New York , Times Sq, didn't serve veggie burgers!
    The McDonalds and other burger restaurants in UK do have them.
    I wondered why?

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I can't speak for that specific McDonalds. Maybe some of the McDonalds restaurants in the US serve veggie burgers but some of those that did quit doing so because vegetarians here tend not to eat at fast food places even when they do serve vegetarian meals. So while there was a push for such restaurants to serve healthy foods, they still went elsewhere for health food.