Living In Assisted Living

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

The left ear where I had the implant the only sounds are metallic and the right ear I hear females better but only slightly.

Faye Fox likes this.
  2. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Isn't that the way to go? Go for the wine. LOL

Marie Mallery and Lon Tanner like this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Registered

Soft drinks are available or you can bring your own beverage.

THEATRE.jpeg

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Thats neat liked the comfy recliners too.

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

That is a nice beautiful theater for winter, but I think they should have an outside one for nice weather in the courtyard. Imagine popcorn, wine, and cheese while watching "Cat on a Hot Ton Roof" while they have a big quiet slow turning fan and several mist generators going creating the tropical experience. I am a bit disappointed they didn't have at least two reclining loveseats so you could snuggle up with one of those unattached babes that grace Oakmont. What is a movie without a little snuggle? Sometimes snuggling up to a bag of over buttered popcorn just isn't enough.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Faye, I don't quite think that Oakmont is the "looking for love" type of place. :D

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Cody, You are right there, but it is a romantic place with all its elegance, amenities, and settings. A recliner for two would offer couples the option to sit together. You should visit the Oakmont webpage and watch their videos. They definitely have an air of romance, but not a "Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places" Mickey Gilly honky-tonk feel.

I might consider such a place as Oakmont if they had some independent small houses with a condo purchase option so those like me that feel insecure renting, could be more comfortable. I like the idea of healthy fine dining, a courtyard, a bistro, transportation, and other care if needed. I don't like the idea of apartment living, especially with a second floor.

8. Lon Tanner

Registered

Where Is Everyone? Only five of us in the dining room for breakfast this morning. Residents must be having their meals in their apartments and that will cost them$ 5 per meal on top of their monthly rent. Some may prepare their own meals.Other than a pre scheduled Bible Study at 2 PM and a movie in the theatre at 3 PM there is no other planned activity. I plan to watch a 49er vs Raiders football game at 1 PM. This whole facility has far less residents than when I moved in four years ago.

9. Lon Tanner

Registered

It happens almost daily with people being brought in or taken out due to having fallen or becoming ill or coming back from a hospital stay. Of course a death is another possibility. Personally--it does not bother me at all.

10. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

wish i could say the same about the bodies coming and going at the morgue near where i work.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Life Flight is the one that brings tears to my eyes. They fly right over my house. You know someone is having a bad day and not just transport.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Are ambulance arrivals good or bad?

Lon as the mortuary guy: Business is good!
    Lon as the assisted living guy: $hit.

Life is all about perspective.

Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  13. Lon Tanner

Registered

Larry is our Oakmont driver and will put Walkers in the trunk for the resident. He will take us anywhere for an appointment within 10 miles. This transportation is part of our monthly rent.

TRANSPORTATION.jpg

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

So if an appointment is 11 miles, Larry drops you off at 10 miles and you do the last mile using your walker? 10 miles seems like a paltry range for a place like Fresno. I think 25 miles would be more reasonable with what they charge. Does he wait for you or come back when you call?

Our medical center has a service that takes seniors to medical appointments within their medical complex and pickup patients within a 50-mile range. They use volunteer drivers and now have 4 vans with wheelchair lifts. There is a lot of waiting involved at times, but a wonderful service all supported by donations.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Lon Tanner

Registered