Life In Our Assisted Living After Taking The Vaccine

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I can handle heat but not humidity.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Humidity is one reason we left northeastern Florida and moved back to Colorado. After 10 1/2 years living there, "enough was enough" of both heat and humidity.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was gonna ask what the humidity was.

We moved to Virginia before the days of A/C. Humidity levels get in the high 90% range. When I was a kid I would drag a pillow and a bedspread out on the roof and sleep there, it was so stinkin' sticky inside (actually, it was so stinkin' sticky outside as well.).

I vacationed in New Mexico once and the dry heat is way different than what we experience. In Virginia, you shower in the morning and walk out to your car to drive to work, and your are soaking wet by the time you get in it. Of course, your risk in the desert heat is dehydrating and not even realizing it.

Anyway, how was the yogurt? (Next time make them take you to get real ice cream.)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  4. Lon Tanner

Registered

It was an interesting yogurt business with different flavors and toppings availlable. They weigh your cup of yogurt and charge by the weight. I had coconut yogurt with chocolate sauce. Way to sweet for me and I will not go back to this place. I prefer ice cream anyway.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We have a place like that in Bangor, with a bunch of yogurt flavors and toppings.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm with you, Lon.

I used to eat ice cream for dessert and considered switching to vanilla yogurt.
    Then I did some reading...

-Regular [no fruit] vanilla-flavored yogurt has the same amount of sugar per TB as regular vanilla ice cream
    --Plain unflavored yogurt is extremely acidic/bitter. That's why they put jelly [fruit] on the bottom

-The lack of "ice cream richness" in yogurt means the sweetness is really prominent
    --Adding toppings exacerbates this

-You only save 50 calories (per 2/3 cup serving) by having yogurt instead of full-fat ice cream
    --A large baked potato is over 300 calories BEFORE TOPPINGS! There's lots of ways to make up 50 calories

-There is significant doubt that yogurt's active cultures survive the pasteurization and/or freezing process
    --It's all sacrifice and no benefit

Just like "organic," frozen yogurt is a marketing thing whose benefits are more implied than they are real.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  7. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm surprised they weren't all in Styrofoam. Most of the places here went to plastic and Styrofoam containers and plastic utensils.

8. Marci Miller

Registered

We got told at a meeting yesterday that OSHA changed their guidelines for now to masking...distancing and paper service so no one is serving themselves anything. It's all prepackaged. The boss said once OSHA sets even a temporary guideline it tends to never go away. Good luck getting what's left of your indoor life back Lon.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Marci Miller

Registered

They get the minimum wage and work 12 hr shifts and some have at least 2 jobs.

10. Lon Tanner

Registered

For Me----the food and services are excellent but watching resident friends deteriorate mentally, physically or both is not pleasant. Some residents need little or no care when they first move in and move to the Memory Care section when that care is needed. Other resident friends that you meet will die and that is not unexpected. I know all these things will happen and though it's not pleasant to observe, it does not bother me mentally or emotionally.

11. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

At our facility, 99 percent of the residents are vaccinated. The one resident who is not, must wear a mask all the time and sits alone in the dining room. 93 percent of our care givers are vaccinated and if they still refuse, they are terminated by July 31st. What annoys me is the fact that the unvaccinated resident does not have to move by July 31st. That is blatant discrimination in my book. Of course money talks as does politics. Very aggravating. We are pretty much opened up. Activities have all resumed and trips out of the facility are ok. I just came back from the shore and not a mask to be seen down there despite the variant being a big issue in that area.

Lon Tanner likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Registered

Things were slowly getting back to normal but Variant concerns now require us to once again wear masks when leaving our apartments no matter if we are fully vaccinated. All care workers/staff and visitors required to wear masks.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

frustrating huh?

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems not much confidence in the vaccination. I think I would be moving to a new place. Mask didn't stop the variant from being developed, so no reason to think it would protect anyone from getting it.

I know your place has to take every precaution because of the possibility of a lawsuit should they not go to extremes to make a show of going the extra mile.

15. Lon Tanner

Registered

Local & state health authorities have imposed these requirements.