Leader Or Follower?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@D'Ellyn Dottir

Do you mean you were once-married, and never again? Might we inquire as to the reason for separation? Desire, or death?

Frank

2. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yep, never again. Twice-married and divorced, @Frank Sanoica . Causes irrelevant now.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm definitely a leader. That does not mean I'm better, or I'm smarter, or I'm always right, but if people are milling around waiting for someone to take charge and make decisions (no matter the situation), I jump right in. I can't just stand there. I prefer to be in charge, anyway.

And I take responsibility for my decisions.

On the other hand, if there's someone else who wants to take the lead and has the right motives and will be accountable for their actions, I'll back them up all day long.

Cody Fousnaugh and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't know about personality types, but I have always hated working for people who I considered to be dumber than me, and because I have generally worked hard at whatever I am doing, I tended to be promoted to a level that was comfortable for me, which was usually without a direct supervisor. At Champion, I was a machine adjuster and acting supervisor on the graveyard shift for the last few years that I was there. The company bugged the hell out of me to take the supervisor job but, with the shift differential and added wage for being an acting supervisor, taking the job full-time would have been a cut in pay without the protection offered by the union. They could have hired a supervisor, but they were apparently okay with the job that I was doing in that role.

Before I was asked to accept the acting supervisor position, we had a salaried supervisor on the graveyard shift for a little while and, in one sense, I did set him up. He was an ass, and he didn't know the first thing about making paper bags so after arguing with him about a few stupid decisions he made, I decided to do exactly as he instructed, and documented where the instructions were coming from. He didn't last long.

At Duro, I was a machine adjuster/supervisor. Although salaried, Duro was not a union shop so supervisors were allowed to work on the machines as well. There, I did have a supervisor but I never had any issues with her and, other than letting me know of any last-minute order changes, she did her thing, whatever that was, and I did my thing.

My first full-time paid job in EMS was as EMS Director, health inspector, and building inspector. While I answered to the city manager, he didn't know anything about any of the jobs that I was doing so I was on my own, even to the point of setting my hours. I also worked as an off-campus EMS instructor/coordinator for Texas Southmost College, but I scheduled my own classes and made all of the arrangements. I only taught one class on the TSC campus, and that was only because the scheduled instructor was unavailable to do it, so I taught that class as a favor. From there, I worked as a training coordinator and assistant director for a large ambulance company in McAllen, as the program chairman of the EMT program at TSTC and South Texas Community College, and bought into a private ambulance company, where I was a co-owner.

I have never been particularly ambitious, but I liked to earn a reasonable amount of money, to enjoy what I was doing, and to not have to answer to an idiot.

In my family, I speak and my wife obeys. Right, @Michelle Anderson?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember, at my last job, the warehouseman telling me that him and our supervisor/director were on the same level. I told him, "no you're not and neither am I. You are a warehouseman, I'm a materials coordinator and he is the supervisor/director over the department. He has the college degree and certifications that neither of us have, so, that means he is better than we are."

He thought about what I told him and said to me "you're right".

Actually, the supervisor/director hired me for my purchasing/inventory experience, plus he wanted a person that could handle (take charge) of the department when he was at a meeting, away from our office, or on vacation. That was me!

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

is there an in-between here....I follow my own mind....do what I know is right...

Leading others is like that old saying....
    Lead the horse to water. Can't make him drink
    so . .no leading here

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

If I am walking toward the sun, then my shadow follows me, however, if I am walking away from the sun then I follow my shadow.

Bill Boggs and Al Amoling like this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Brilliant Observation!!

Bill Boggs likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I suppose like many people I'm a bit of both, but reluctant in a leadership role. I prefer to remain in the background but I supervised a large workgroup during my career. I never liked dealing with "people issues." My children would say that I excel at barking orders, though. :D

John Brunner, Al Amoling and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

People's issues suck and need a nandy pandy to lead them to inclusion and pampering. A true leader is seldom appreciated.

11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There are many leaders that were appreciated as and after they led.

12. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The highest rank I've had in food service in 36 yrs was as an assistant manager at a restaurant at a zoo. I absolutely hated it. Every place I've worked has all wanted me in near management positions. Like just under the lead or supervisor. Just enough power to tell them what to do and make sure things run smooth but not enough to do anything about it. I prefer to be the peon.

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Yeh, those no-win spots are better left to others. Accountability without authority is abusive.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been pretty much a "leader" most of my life. However, my wife has been pretty much a "follower" all of the time..............and, she will admit that. She had a job as a Supervisor once and her staff took full advantage of her, when they found out she really wasn't a "leader". They would still have work, that needed to be completed that day, after they left that day. Without complaining, she stayed and completed the work. After this job, she never took another Supervising job again.

There are those that refuse to be a "leader". They simply can't tell others what to do on a job. What about you?