Leader Or Follower?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Which do you consider yourself? When you were employed, were you a Leader, as in a lead, supervisor, manager or asst. manager?

As for myself, I'm not really a Follower at all, but not totally a Leader either. Wife and I make decisions together, most of the time anyway.

For the 22 years I was single/divorced, I found out that being a Follower didn't cut it, when wanting to meet someone. IOW, being "outgoing" can be/is part of being a Leader and I became that.

My wife tried being a Leader (manager) at a job she had years ago, but she just doesn't have that "Leadership" skill. Sometimes, overly passive. If someone didn't complete something at work, on a certain day/time, she would stay and complete what they were doing. No discussion/reprimand to the employee later, she would just stay for as long as it took to complete the assigned job. Very opposite of me.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Leader? Follower? Dunno.
    Have I had to lead most of my secular life? Yes. Did I always want to lead? No.
    When someone is in authority that I can depend on and respect, I’ll follow but at a safe distance.
    I question all things.

Jim Brown likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

If I know a lot about something, I haven't got a problem being a leader/teacher.

A leader has to take charge of people and/or things. Many followers don't like making major decisions.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm definitely a follower. Never had enough know how to lead, shunned responsibility.

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't know. . Probably a follower. Leader or follower implies a group. I usually avoided groups.

If I ever got trapped in a group, it was one gathered for a purpose about which everyone else had more knowledge.

Frank Sanoica and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

A Leader is much, much more interesting than being a Follower. A Leader gets a Gold Medal, whereas a Follower only gets a Silver or Bronze. As for me, I love Gold!!

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Trust me your wife is the leader, and you are the follower - by choice I bet :D

Frank Sanoica and Al Amoling like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We both lead, but then again, we both discuss everything we do. She will say "he's the boss" and I will then say, "nope, she's the boss". Whereas, neither of us are that way, but I am the more aggressive one sometimes in doing something.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:p

10. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm getting better at resisting being a leader. Have never been much good at being a follower. Mostly I just want to be left alone to wander in the forest and commune with Nature, and once in a while emerge for a good burger.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@D'Ellyn Dottir

We always called the forest "the woods", but were referring specifically to a large treed area, not the metaphorical "forest". Our favorite real woods was Warren Woods State Park, in Michigan, named after a former governor, I think. It contained a large natural spring which flowed wonderful potable water year-round.

Few entering those woods were "leaders", as also those emerging were also unchanged.

Frank

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I don't like to be "left alone". Good reason to get married. LOL

13. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

Hmm....@Frank Sanoica .... wander the woods does have better alliteration! I do have a favorite patch of woods about 3 blocks square at the end of an island about 30 minute drive from me. It has deer and other critters but no water. And no burgers nearby.

I used to step into leadership roles a lot when younger, especially when I felt a strong push at my back from some unseen force. As I got older I realized that just because I CAN do something doesn't mean I have to. Volunteering to be in a leadership position, in my experience, rarely went unpunished. :rolleyes:

14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm a leader without a doubt.

15. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh, I'm sure you aren't alone in not wanting to be left alone. I suspect there may come a time when I change my mind about this. Not sure the reasonable price will be marriage, though. Really can't envision that again until next lifetime. LOL