Knitting

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Jeanee Burke, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Jeanee Burke

Jeanee Burke Veteran Member
    Registered

I am thinking of taking up knitting or crocheting. Seems like it's a rather inexpensive hobby. Any other knitters out there?

My mom was great at knitting and a perfectionist, too. So she really made some remarkable things.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I enjoy both knitting and crocheting, especially in the winter when the weather is cold and dreary, and a person can't really do much out in the yard. I think we might have some threads here in the hobby section by others in the forum who enjoy this kind of easy pastime.
    I like to make small projects that I can finish easily, like socks and slippers, and little throw rugs.

Jeanee Burke likes this.
  3. Jeanee Burke

Registered

I will probably make things that I can finish easily, too. I guess I can probably get info. on Amazon.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Wish I could knit but moreso wish I could make my own clothes :)

Jeanee Burke likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I can knit and crochet, but I don't do it any more, I get bored with it too quickly!!.. I'm typically a very impatient person so that probably has something to do with it...

Jeanee Burke likes this.
  6. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I knit. I learned the basic garter stitch, casting on and off when I was 7 or 8 and that's all I knew how to do until my early 40's. I bought one of those teach yourself to knit books and learned to purl (which I hated at first, I felt like I was knitting backwards) and other stitches. Free things on YouTube and tons of free patterns on Ravelry.

Jeanee Burke and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Someone tried to teach me to knit once...and as long as I could just knit a straight piece I didn't do to bad. But the time in my life that my friend was trying to teach me knitting was just a season to full of raising my own kids and taking care of other kids with a Home Day Care I started in our home so I found I just never really got into knitting.

My friend also taught my daughters and me Cross Stitching which I did find we all enjoyed and gave us something to share together.

I like to sew baby quilts and blankets most of all.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My grandmother taught me knitting and embroidery when I was young...I enjoyed it when I visited her. I taught myself to crochet and did that in my 20's and 30's but after that I never did any of those things again.

I did try crocheting awhile back but just couldn't get into it.

When my grandsons were babies those homemade blankets where you just cut and knotted the ends were popular and I did a few of those but I really don't enjoying doing sewing type crafts....at least not for a very long time.

@Babs Hunt ...I could only knit straight things also....my first project was an ugly scarf for my hubby for Valentine's Day.

He wore it though...out of love ❤️

Jeanee Burke likes this.
  9. Jeanee Burke

Registered

Thank you for the information on YouTube and Ravelry. This is the first I have heard of Ravelry. I knitted when I was very young, too, but forgot how.:D

10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

You're welcome. Ravelry has tons of free patterns. Whatever you are looking for just search with free and you will find a lot.

Jeanee Burke likes this.
  11. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I was taught knitting as a child but like @Holly Saunders I am an impatient person so found it boring. My mother was always knitting and being a "loose" knitter everything turned out twice the size, ;) I had an annual Christmas jumper/sweater that would hang down below my knees, :eek: .... I recall my father (who like me was a gadget person) bought her a knitting machine once, which though it worked well she never really took to, mainly because it defeats the relaxing nature of hand knitting...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Jeanee Burke

Registered

That's good to know Kitty! Sounds like you really have a hand on knitting. ;)

13. Ann George

Ann George Veteran Member
    Registered

I too am learning to knit and a few months ago took a class at a local Michaels craft store. The teacher highly recommended The Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe as well as the Ravelry website. My sister also suggested watching how to knit videos on Youtube. I'm making progress, albeit slowly, and hope to have something to show for my efforts by Christmas. :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I hope you are enjoying kitting. I just checked and the site "knittinghelp dotcom" is still up. I used a lot of their videos to learn different increases and decreases.

I like YouTube also. I often have to go through a few videos until I find the one that works for me if I am looking for any how to video but people have uploaded a lot of help in those videos.

Search for "suspended bind off" on YouTube also. It's a great casting off technique.

Ann George likes this.
  15. Ann George

Ann George Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks Kitty for your suggestions... every little bit helps!