Knitting Socks - My Newest Skill

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Julie Stewart, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Julie,
    wow, you did a great job. I like the colors. I have tried, I'll be honest and made one row, and that's a far as I got. I was so determine to make something the moment I bought the yard and got my needles. Even my husband told, I know you won't make anything, you get bored to easily. I wanted/want to make some booties for my hubby, kids and myself, maybe before the winter comes back I'll will make some. Just getting started, I'm like :eek:, and talk to myself, telling me you can do it, go ahead grabs your stuff. In the past and this was a long time ago, I had made several scarfs for the daughter's friends, she gave them as Christmas presents. Everyone one liked them. I like to see more of what you knit.

Julie Stewart likes this.
  2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I like to hand knit too when I had the time. Now days I just don't have the time. The last thing I did was with my left over yarns that I made into an afghan. I haven't picked up a knitting needle for over 2 years now. Socks look very even and very warm! Tube socks would be the easiest I think to knit.

3. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon - I get all my needles from brocantes (flea markets, car-boot sales, garage sales) and although I did buy that sock yarn for my daughter's Christmas present socks - I also buy knitted garments second hand and unravel the wool to use for knitting. Recently I bought a bright yellow baby blanket that had a stain near one corner. I unraveled it and I'm going to make a tea cosy with it. It cost me 0,50 centimes (€) = about 0.57 cents ($). I'm also making myself a pair of burgundy-coloured socks from an unraveled cardigan - similar price. Once I've finished the tea cosy and the socks their will be enough wool left for either one pair of stripy socks or one tea cosy.

Wine and knitting .... I know! What an excuse ... as if she needed one. It seems to have worked though, she learned to knit CABLES at the wine and knitting group.

@Rachel Rodarte - stick with it! Every one starts with scarves it seems ... I did ....

@Krissttina Isobe - I don't have much time but I do enjoy watching certain sports on TV and I knit then. With the Olympics coming up I should produce plenty of socks and tea cosies! And this weekend the Euro 2016 football tournament starts ......

4. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm going to try it again, I did watch a video that shows how to make the booties, what are tea cosies?

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that making slippers is a great way to practice knitting. They are easy to make, and do not take long; sso even if you are a slow knitter, they will be done fast. I like small projects much better than large ones, and usually make smaller things like slippers, socks, and the little crocheted throw rugs.
    Knitted slippers also are good for learning both the knit stitch and the perl stitch, and since that is basically all that you have to do when you are making a slipper, you will learn really fast.
    Once a person is comfortable with those two basic stitches, then a moree complcated pattern is fine; but trying to learn more than the basic statches and patterns, like cables, is much easier once you have mastered the basic knitting stitches, in my opinion.
    I think if you make something smaller than an afghan, @Krissttina Isobe , that you will find that you enjoy knitting again. Those take a long time to make, and are bulky and awkward to deal with when you are making them.
    I have made them, but don't like to make anything that large. Of course, each persson is different, and some people enjoy the large projects.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:)You are so right. I was making the afghan with my left over yarns that you have around. Small projects are the best for when you finish them you'd like to continue knitting again and you've got something done so fast.

7. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Rachel Rodarte , My grandmother use to make tea cosies. They are like little jackets that go over the teapot to keep the tea warm for a longer time. Think of them as the first thermal covers for teapots.

8. Julie Stewart

Registered

@Rachel Rodarte - have you had a go yet?
    @Yvonne Smith and @Krissttina Isobe - I agree about knitting small items. I once (about 30 years ago) knitted a blanket and used circular needles to take the weight, I didn't enjoy the process.

The tea cosy is nearly finished and I'm making two egg cosies to match, just got to se the pieces together and add the bee buttons :

resknit.jpg

9. Julie Stewart

Registered

Bee hive tea cosy and egg cosies finished. Nearly finished one sock since the weekend but I feel a dose of "Second Sock Syndrome" coming on ....

resizedeggcosies.jpg resized tea pot cosy.jpg

Ina I. Wonder and Patsy Faye like this.
  10. Julie Stewart

Registered

Here are the patterns ....

Attached Files:

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am working on finishing up socks that I started late last winter. I was making a pair for my sister-in-law, Debbie, and then she asked me to please knit a pair for her daughter, too. Since they live near the Seattle-Everett area, they are (of course) Seahawk fans, and wanted both pairs of socks to be in Seahawk colors.
    So they are both blue with light and dark green for the top cuff and the toes, and I reversed the accent colors on each pair, so that they would be matching, but still easy to tell which pair was which.
    I finished one pair last winter, and barely started the second pair, and then SPRING came along in all of its glory, and I forgot about knitting and went outside to play in the yard and garden.
    So, now it is getting cold and more winter-like and yesterday, I finished the sock that I started, and then can't find my yarn needle to darn the toes together. I ordered more yarn needles from amazon, and they wil be here in a couple more days, so for now, that sock is on one of those little keepers that is kind of like a giant safety pin.
    Tonight, I will start the last sock, and by the time I am done with it, the yarn needles should have arrived, and then I can finish both socks and get them sent on their way to Debbie and Cameo.
    After that, I am going to start a pair of socks for @Ina I. Wonder that she asked me to make last winter when I was working on the first set of socks for Debbie.

12. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

It would be fun to be able to knit because I really like the looks of hand knitted things. Maybe you could post some of your items on Etsy, if you have time to make some that are not for family and friends. Yarn isn't cheap these days though. However, I bet your seahawk socks will be beautiful. That is the nice thing about knitting it just ends up being so personal for the recpient. You can customize the items exactly how you want them, which is great.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.