Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

It states no Google apps. I dont like Google anyway but more familiar with their apps. I doubt I will use to read books from.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For me, the screen on the 8" Kindle Fires isn't big enough for anything other than reading books and playing an occasional game of solitaire. If I had to, on a temporary basis, I could use the Kindle Fire 10 as a computer as long as I had a keyboard for it because the screen is large enough for me to read fairly easily. I might want to add a trackpad to it, although I'm not sure if that's even possible because I have never gotten used to that touch-screen nonsense. In my job, I do a lot of copying and pasting, so I'd have to figure out how to do that on a Kindle otherwise, but if I could connect a trackpad, I wouldn't have to figure it out.

Anyhow, for what you want, it sounds like an iPad with a larger screen would work well, but so would a Kindle Fire 10, and the Kindle is cheaper. I actually prefer the browser that comes with the Kindle to any of the other browsers that I have used. I have watched a couple of movies on my Kindle Fire 10 and the screen is near enough to me, that worked out pretty well. The sound is good, and the picture quality is good.

I have had several Kindles and the only time I had a problem with them was when I tried to read in bed with my first Kindle 10. It was heavy, I was sleepy, and it fell on the floor and broke the button that turns it on and off. I had had it for only a couple of weeks. Amazon replaced it, no questions asked, and I didn't even have to return the broken one or lie about how it came to be broken.

I agree with Yvonne, too, that a Chromebook might be a good idea. As computers go, they are very cheap. A Chromebook wouldn't work for me as a replacement for my computer because I do too much with my computer offline but, for most people, they'd work pretty well, and I could access the forum, do my job online, and do most things with it just fine.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    I like the Kindle concept..um not crazy about touch screen but could try it for awhile then get keyboard.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Touchscreens make everything SO much easier, once you get used to the concept of just touching something , rather than dragging a mouse pointer up to it and having to click to get what you want done.
    Here is a short video that explains more about a Chromebook, what they do and do not do.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Yep this mighht be more to both our liking

6. Ken Anderson

On the other hand, a Chromebook doesn't work as well as a book as a Kindle Fire does.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Agreed !
    One can never have enough gadgets (my opinion). She should get a small Kindle Fire just for reading if she is also going to read on whatever tablet/laptop that she gets. When on sale, they are really cheap, plus payments option.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Dang now I have so much info ..I am confused even more.lolo
    Chrome sounds good but not much storage .
    Orginally I wanted to replace the desktop with a lap top. Then i see all this talk about tablets thinking that might work.
    Seriously still considering the Kindle...then use desktop only for printing stuff and copying..which is not much.

9. Ken Anderson

Other than one that broke when I dropped it, I am having the first problem with a Kindle Fire dying on me. The Kindle Fire 8 that I use the most, as that's the one I read after I go to bed every night, won't open any books anymore. Once in a while, it will, but mostly I just get a white screen with the activity indicator that goes around and around, and never getting anywhere. The games play, and I can get online with it well enough, as the problem seems to be restricted to accessing books. I bought it soon after they came out with the 8's so it served me a fair amount of time, although my earlier Kindles (before Fire) are still working fine. I probably should have waited until they went on sale again, since they go on sale frequently, but I ordered another one. My 10 is too heavy for bed and my others aren't backlit.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

It might not be just your Kindle. I have been having about the same kind of problem. When I get a new book, sometimes it shows up in the library and sometimes it does not.
    So, then I look on my Kindle app on the iPad and see if it shows up there, and then I open it from there.
    Once I have actually opened the book, then it seems to show up everywhere.
    I was concerned that mine was going to get bad, too, and it is only 1-2 years old. It might be some kind of an Amazon thing. I also synced mine, and that helped, i think.
    I had not even thought about doing that until I started having problems with books not downloading properly.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The new Kindle Fires have just been released so the 8's should probably be found for bargain prices, and Prime Day is in June I think.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have similar problems but I can access the books from the desktop--I know antique--and send the books to the kindles and they work fine then.

13. Yvonne Smith

Does anyone have a Kindle Paperwhite , or the Oasis, that is just for reading books and not a whole tablet like the Kindle Fire is ? I am now looking online, and wondering if I would like one of the dedicated e-readers better than the Fire tablet, since I never use it for anything except reading book with.

Amazon is having a special on the Paperwhite . It is $129, but with Kindle Unlimited (which I have), it is half price, and payments of $12 a month; so I ordered one.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a regular old Kindle that I love for reading. It is so lightweight and easy to read. I have a little stand for it next to the coffeepot in the kitchen; I can sit on a stool and read while I have coffee and a snack.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I, too, have an old kindle that I use to read when light is available. Like @Ken Anderson, I try to use the fire when reading bed, as my wife goes to sleep much sooner than I do and I don't want to wake her. One of our sons has a paperwhite nad seems to enjoy it for reading.