Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Chrissy Cross, May 16, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'd enjoy being on a jury now.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I would too if it wasn't in downtown Fresno.

I bet most of the cases are all gang related which wouldn't interest me....a murder trial like OJ would though.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My son is serving on a murder trial jury at the moment. It may go on for 6 weeks. No death penalty here, so at least that is off the table.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

The one case that I sat for five months was a gang murder. Four suspects killed a guy in the county jail. They said they got thrown in jail just so they could kill him for trying to leave the gang.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's the only good thing about gangs...for the most part they just kill each other...but they do contribute to crime on the general population with burglaries etc.

Chris Ladewig likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think Pickles would be fine at home by himself all day. He is in familiar territory. Go and do your civic duty. :)

Love the avatar. :D

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks!

but I'm really afraid of going to downtown Fresno...to the point that it causes me anxiety.

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the best bet would be to get your doctor to write you an excuse because of your back. I know of people who have gotten excused with less cause.

9. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

OMG @Chrissy Cross GET THAT DOCTORS EXCUSE!!!!!!!!!! I did. It was easy. I just told my MD about my history of abuse and bullying and how conflict causes me stress and he wrote it out right there and then for PERMANANT excuse. Your MD does not need to give any reason. It only needs to state if the excuse is permanent or temporary. They are not entitled to any medical information and do not request it.

Your other way out is dependent on the case. I went once for jury duty. While I found the whole thing kind of interesting, I'd never want to serve. I got out and excused by the judge who seemed nice enough and not pompous. First they wanted to know if anyone or anyone close to you had been a victim of a crime. Check and check! Plus the woman on trial I knew. She was an RN. I could not place her but we crossed paths some place and I saw her lean and say something to her attorney when they called me up. I mentioned she looked familiar to me but I could not place her from where.

I was so excused! She was on trial for some physical altercation in a parking lot.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Also @Chrissy Cross I hope your MD is nice about stuff like this. Mine is. He wrote it out in a few seconds on his prescription pad. I wasn't sure if it would be OK so I called the court building. They said yes it was. Make a copy, send in the original and I got a letter from them excusing me in about a week. The lady was nice and stated they get letters from doctors detailing patient information they don't need and are not entitled to.

If you back bothers you, that should be plenty of reason. DO IT, PLEASE!

11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross
    A doctor's claim supporting deafness is all that's necessary. If you don't mind cheating on the system we all grew up here believing in.
    Frank

12. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Years ago I was called up for jury duty when I lived in Montreal..
    I really didn't want to do it..
    When they questioned me about the case, I shouted out loud ........ "Hang the bastard, he's guilty"....
    They dismissed me ...

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I hope my dr will do it. I really don't want to do it ...many reasons that I can't.

If it was near me I'd do it every day because I do enjoy that kind of thing but it's a month away and I'm already anxious about being in central Fresno. :(

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is a little off-topic, @Chrissy Cross ; but when you see your doctor about the jury duty paper, you might also ask for one of the disability exemptions, too. That will make it so much easier for you to find a parking place when you have to drive somewhere and your back or shoulder is hurting a lot.
    I think that I had to get the form from the DMV, and then have the doctor sign it. Once you have that, you should be able to either get license plates or just the little card that hangs on the rear view mirror.
    When I am feeling good, I park further out in the parking lot so I can walk and get the exercise; but if the weather is too hot/cold/wet, or my knee is stove up, then the handicapped parking is really nice to have.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I doubt I'd get one...I couldn't get one for my husband and he was in worse shape than I am by far.

I have no problems walking, in fact I walk very fast....it's sitting or standing in one spot too long that hurts my back.