It Happened Like This

Discussion in 'Tall Tales & Fabrications' started by Bill Boggs, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

and only lasted a few days or you could call it, Another Preacher Tale.

The sheriff of Sterling City walked back to his office from the restaurant where he had eaten too much. He opened the door and looked inside. Empty as usual, no one waiting to see him. He pulled up a chair on the board walk and leaned back against the wall. He was soon dozing. He would do so until he heard someone walking on the board walk and if someone came his way he would tip his hat and speak. He had been sheriff a long time and knew everyone in town. This time it was Ms Hatfield. He tipped his hat, said, “Afternoon, Ms Hatfield.” He leaned back against the wall again, getting ready to close his eyes when he thought he saw movement on the mountain. He sat up straight in his chair, looking closer at the mountain.

Sterling sat north and south along the edge of a mountain range. The closest mountain to the town was a dead end. The drop off was not a cliff but it was steep.

This time the lawman was sure he saw movement. An animal? He couldn’t be certain. The mountain was too steep to climb. It was a man. The sheriff watched for several minutes. It was a man. He was out of sight now, in the trees but he’d soon be walking into town if he was able to walk after that descent. The man walked straight down the street, apparently heading for the sheriff’s office.

The sheriff watched him come. He was a young man, a boy, and he walked with a noticeable limp.

“Howdy,” the boy said, “would you be the sheriff, sir?”

“Recon I am,” the sheriff answered. “Watched you coming down that mountain. Thought at first you might be a mountain goat.”

“That hill is steeper than I thought it was be. Really a workout coming down."

“How come you didn’t use the road?”

“Didn’t know where the road was. I had to leave my horse. On foot was the only way

I could escape. They were looking for me but on horseback. My uncle was so mad he would have shot me. Guess I’m lucky to make it here.”

“Who is your uncle and why would he want to shoot you?”

“You’ll know him, sheriff. His name is Jeb Walker. He’s got a place up in the hills from
    Hurstville. Hurstville don’t have a lawman. That’s the reason I came here, knowing you’d protect me.”

“How old are you boy,” the sheriff asked?

”Sixteen

"Listen, boy. I don’t get involved in family squabbles. And I’m not too anxious to have the Walker gang ride into town looking for you and raising hell. You’re practically a man and if you’ve got a beef with your uncle, you need to settle it like a man. I see blood all over your left leg. You hurt your self? We don’t have a doctor but we have a vet that’s pretty good at fixing up the town folk. He’s on the end of the street here, back behind the stables. Best you get your self fixed up. If you’re going to run from your uncle, get your self a horse and a bedroll and food and beat it on out of town."

Go on now and go see the vet.”

“Recon you’re right, sheriff. Obliged.” And he hobbled on down the street.

The Walker boy found the livery stable and also a house and a large barn. He knocked on the door and a lady opened the door.

“Looking for the vet, ma’am?”

“He’s in the barn somewhere,” she said. She watched him go, noticing his limp.

He walked in the barn and said in a loud voice, ”Hello.”

From back among the stalls a man emerged. “Help you?

“I think I’ve bunged up my leg. It’s my knee that hurts.”

“Well, let’s take a look."

“You want to step out of them britches. I hate to cut up a good pair.”

By the way, my name is Clint Osborne and who are you?

“Billy Walker.

The vet examined his leg, twisting a little left, then right. “You’ve got a bad bruise on that knee and a nice sized cut behind it. You’ll need some stitches and you really should stay off that knee for a few days.”

“I may can’t do that,” Billy said.

Clint asked why and one thing led to another and with Clint’s questioning, Billy wound up telling Clint the whole story including how his uncle wanted him to go on a bank job and hold the horses, how he wanted no part of his uncle activities and he threatened to alert the bank and had been beaten and how he had escaped and spent the best part of three days hiding our and traveling by foot hoping to reach Sterling City, and including his conversation with the sheriff.

“Looks like you’ve got a mess on your hands,” Clint said. You need to run but you’re crippled up. You have a horse?”

Billy shook his head.

You’re going to need a horse and maybe a gun. Can you use a gun, can you hit what you shoot at?

"I’m not very good," Billy admitted. “Never shot anything but a target rifle.

And you'll need a place to hide for a while. Hopefully you’ve got a few bucks in your pocket.

Jeb Walker was furious they had not found his nephew. No telling what he’s do if he got the chance. One good thing, he’s afoot and might still be hiding close to the cabin. Or if he kept on running west the only thing over that way is Sterling City. He had to decide what to do now. His men were getting restless. The plan to rob the bank at Loveless was in the works. They would hit the bank then head over to Sterling City and find his nephew. He had planned to break in the boy into being a member of the gang but now that was unlikely. Still the kid needed to be taught a lesson. It wasn’t good to make fool of his uncle in front of all the men. That needed to be rectified. He’d take care of that after the bank job.

Okay, boys, here’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to hit the Loveless bank day after tomorrow. Let’s drift in two or three at a time. Al, you and Dave cover the marshal’s office. Duke, Joe, and myself will enter the bank and get the money. Walt, you hold the horses and keep a sharp eye out. Don’t let anyone enter the bank after we go in. In case a law man comes around from another location, Walt, that’s your call. We should be in and out in fifteen minutes. If all goes smooth we’ll head out to the old abandoned stage coach relay station. North of the relay station, a half mile or so, is the cabin we’ll hang out there for a few days. Al and Dave have been there. Any questions?

We’ll take the bank just after noon. We’ll arrive in Loveless around ten. That will give us a couple of hours to study the situation. Afterwards we’ll ride to Sterling City where we’ll find my nephew. We’ll decide what to do next while in Sterling City. They’ve go a lawman but he’s getting up in years. We won’t kill him unless he presses his luck. We’ll leave in the morning.

Unless there was a problem or some last minute something came up, sheriff Lester Holt usually went home for his lunch.

Ruby, his red headed wife of some thirty years usually had something prepared unless he had told her he’d be somewhere else at lunch time. She had the table set when he walked in the door. Ruby thought him quieter than usual and tried to drawer him out if he had a problem, one he wanted to discuss. She poured his coffee and said you’re awful quiet today. Everything going all right at the office?

I guess so. Had a kid drop into town today telling me a wild goose tale. He climbed down that mountain east of town and you know how steep that is. Wonder he didn’t fall and break his fool neck. He was all skinned up and bruised. I sent him over to see Osborne. I might have been little rough on him, and a little gruff. I told him we didn’t get mixed up in family affairs. Said his uncle is Jeb Walker and he had escaped and made his way here on foot. Jeb is head of the Walker gang we’ve been hearing about.

"So, is that a problem, Les?"

It is if the gang comes looking for him and wants to cause problems. I should have hired another deputy weeks ago and I shouldn’t have been so rough on the boy, at least until I was certain he was telling me the truth.

“It's not too late to rectify either of those concerns, is it, Les? You’re authorized a deputy and you can talk to the boy again, make things right with him. Hell’s Bells,

Les, hire the boy, teach him what he needs to know. You’re not getting any younger.

“Yeah, I know. I’ll think on it.” The sheriff got up from the table, kissed Ruby, saying,

“Thanks for lunch. I’ve got to get to work.”

Later in the afternoon the Sheriff talked the Vet and it was decided maybe the city council should be informed of the impending situation. There were five on the council: Clint Osborne the Vet, Russ Leonard owner of the Dry Goods store, James Miller, the town barber, Walter Brown, who owns the hotel and the nearby stables, and the mayor, his honor, Curtis Newberry. The new interim pastor recently appointed for the local church was not a member of the council but was often invited as a courtesy. His name was Charles Darby.

The sheriff pointed out he was not as young as he used to be and not as good with his gun as he’d like to be, and he should have hired a deputy months ago. The cancel acknowledged the sheriff’s need for a deputy and dismissed him while the council debated the issue at hand.

The council met for over an hour and it was decided after Pastor Darby volunteered his services to assist the sheriff and after two votes and some argument that Rev. Darby was not qualified to act in any way as a deputy or to assist the sheriff in any way as he was a man of the clothe and not qualified if push came to shove. It was regretful but the sheriff would have to go it alone.

The bank job went smoothly and without a hitch. They rode out of town with three money bags never seeing a lawman. Nobody was hurt and few knew the bank had been robbed. They took their time on the way to their cabin but watched their back trail. They arrived at the cabin a little after dark. The cabin was well stocked. They’d count their loot, rest up and ride into Sterling City day after tomorrow.

The Walker gang rode into Sterling City shortly after noon on Saturday. They had made a good haul at the bank in Loving and had money to spend. Jeb was hoping to find his nephew before he talked to any authorities, maybe giving their hideouts away. And he needed to be taught a lesson and be put in his place.

Several people saw them ride into town together and suspected they might be the Walker gang. The sheriff was notified the Walker gang might be in town. He laid out a rifle and a sawed off shot gun on his desk and knew all he could do was play this by ear and hoped he would be alive at the end of this day. Word spread over town the Walker gang had arrived. The atmosphere in Sterling City was electric.

The Veterinarian walked over to the church parsonage and notified the reverend the sheriff might need some help. He brought his rifle.

The Walker boy who had been staying with the town’s preacher asked what was preacher going to do ? What would the sheriff do?

Sometime young man in situations like this we have to play it by ear and trust in the Lord. I‘m going down to the saloon and talk to your uncle. I may know him.

You know my uncle?

It’s possible, but that would be back before I got religion. Your uncle can be a handful when he’s riled. You stay here and wait till I get back. If things get out of hand that rifle I taught you to use is in that closet and it loaded. so keep your eyes open for the next half hour or so. You hear?

Yes sir.

Preacher opened an old trunk he kept at the foot of his bed and took out a black holster and black handled revolver. He took out a hat he had not worn since before arriving in Sterling City . He put on his vest.

You don’t look like a preacher now. You look like a rancher or a, a gunfighter.

Good, maybe I’ll scare him. I’ll be back in a little while. Keep your eyes open till I get back. Everything’s going to be all right.

Inside the saloon Jeb was the center of attention. He had already sounded off about finding his nephew. He had threatened he’d kill anyone found lying to him. He had sent someone to fetch the sheriff? He was working himself into a lather on whisky and anger. Preachers stood at the door listening to Jeb hold court as it were when the sheriff walked up.

Preacher said, Sheriff I know Jeb Walker. I’m going in there and talk to him. You cover me if some of his men want to get involved. I may have to kill him. You stay back and don’t make your self a target.

You sure you can handle him? I’m the law.

I know but I’m his equal with a gun. Stay back. Keep your cool.

Preacher walked through the batwings. He stood listening to Jeb telling the small crowd how he would kill anyone protecting or hiding his nephew.

Well now, listen to the man. Threatening the good folks of Sterling City for protecting an abused boy from his killer uncle. Shame on you.

Jeb turned in his chair and looked. Do I know you, he asked?

Don’t think so, preacher answered. I’m the pastor at the local church and I’m here to do the Lord’s work. But first let me asked you gentlemen riding with Jeb? Are you ready to die with Jeb. You’ll have to do some time for what you’ve done but that might be better than dying with your boss. Of course it is your choice.

Jeb stood and turned around facing preacher. You’ve a nerve. Coming in here and hiding behind your religion talking like you were somebody. You obviously don’t know you’re talking to, Mr whoever you are.

Preacher said, I asked your men a question. if you want to live, don’t interfere. Jeb I know who you are. You are Jeb Walker who robbed the bank in Greeley last year and killed a young woman. A women who was to become my wife.
    Jeb went for his gun. So did two of his men. None of them got off a shot. Preacher shot Jeb before he cleared leather and then shot one of Jeb’s men. The sheriff killed the other.

After Jeb’s two other men were locked up and preacher had notified the boy his uncle had died in a gun fight, the sheriff and preacher sat in the sheriff’s office. The sheriff said, You’re an interesting man, Preacher? How did you get involved with the likes of the Walker gang?

I was with the Ranger Service for a while. I’m no longer with them but they knew of my role as preacher. So did the bishop of this congregation whose real paster has worked as a bank teller and sat in the congregation every Sunday morning. He helped me prepare sermons. I have a small ranch outside Greeley. If you’re over our way, stop by.

Sorry about your woman killed in the bank robbery.

Thanks, Sheriff. She was the daughter of aa fellow rancher. I promised him I’d find her killer. It has taken longer than I thought. I’ve been taking my meals at Pauline’s restaurant and talking to her. She’s had a hard life. We’re about the same age and she’s good people. She’s agreed to be my wife when this is all said and done, but she wants to find a new owner for her place here.

By the way, I asked the Walker bif he’d want a job on a ranch. He thanked me for the offer but I think he wants to go into law enforcement. He’s got the makings of a good deputy one of these days.

Yeah, he’ll turn seventeen soon and I’ll talk to the council about putting him on the payroll.

Okay, sheriff, you take care.

You too, Preacher.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

What a great tale, you have spun Bill! Thanks, I enjoyed it!