Is It Time To Go Back To School?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Bobby Cole, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Actually, I always think it’s time to go back to school or at the very least, find something to learn....or re-learn.

I have noted here in this forum that I enjoy attending several free lectures that are produced by MIT, UCLA and a couple of others just because I enjoy filling this brain of mine. To me, it’s fun.
    I have considered taking a couple of courses that are free to seniors over 65 here in Huntsville at Calhoun College but schedules are something I am dearly trying to avoid so naw, maybe when I turn 75.

The other day I received an email from Hillsdale College which I get from time to time with some updates but this time they reminded me of the free non-accredited college courses that are available to anyone.
    After perusing the site I can easily write that I’m impressed with the number and scope of the courses the college has but also the ones they are introducing,.

I’ll cut out the chatter and simply give ya’ll a link to the site. Maybe you’ll see something you like!
    https://www.hillsdale.edu/educational-outreach/free-online-courses/

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I know about Hillsdale College. One of the faculty members in the English Dept there was my neighbor when he was a student here at Georgia. I'm amazed at how much nationwide attention that school gets, with an enrollment of only 1500 students. I see it mentioned a lot.

Faye Fox, Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Hopefully you had some nice talks with him. The staff there are the top of the line!
    Hillsdale gained a lot of notoriety in just the last 10 or so years when Senator DeMint, a Constitutional genius (to me) became the president of the college.
    I was just getting a monthly letter from them with some updates and a few speeches and such but now I just get emails once or twice a week with the updates and answers to any queries I put forward.

I’m thinking of the Constitution 102 course just as a refresher and maybe one or two more a little later on in the Literature arena. Medieval writers or maybe a little more Mark Twain..ish. Dunno.

I wish they had more science but hey, the courses are free so who am I to complain?

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Hillsdale College's courses are a great idea, from everything I have seen. For what is essentially a regional Michigan college, they have indeed garnered national recognition.

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I get their newsletter and also other mail asking for donations. I donated a few times so I am on their preferred list on a first name basis.:) I have never taken a course but did have friends that took courses from them.

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I first heard of Hillsdale by listening to Rush. I never bothered to learn more but now I think I will. Wouldn't it be great if the left did too?

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I went backto school at age 48 and it was hard but fun aat saame time.The young kids in Hort class were so nice to me plus I was the teachers pet,lol.
    But all the science and projects wer nor easy.I had to learn to learn all over again.Plus I couldn't type and the reports were rough.
    I still have my Plant Science book and I also made good grades 3nd best in my class. Always had high IQ but now its old like the rest of me.:D
    Not sure about exposure though now to this Covid thin.