Instrumental Favorites

Discussion in 'Music' started by Sheldon Scott, Jan 19, 2016.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For a period in the summer months, the Army's symphonic band would give free weekly outdoor concerts on the Potomac River. The 1812 Overture (complete with real cannons) was always on the program. They would also fire up the jazz band with their singer, Walt Skees, who moved over to The Blues from the Army Chorus. His obit is worth the read. As an aside, Steve Lawrence was the official soloist with the U.S. Army Band in the late 50s (I just discovered this.)

[​IMG]

They would have "Tattoo on Parade." As you probably know, a tattoo in military terms is a performance of music or display of armed forces in general. This would be in the DC Armory, and there would be processions of soldiers and equipment from each era (along with the music), going back to The Revolutionary War. The most impressive thing was the Drill Team Rifle Toss with bayonets fixed. The team members wore white gloves and the rifles had white bands on them. The spotlights would go out and the black lights would come on, so all you saw were white gloved hands and the bands on the rifles going back & forth. Of course, at the end, they form two rows facing each other tossing their rifles back & forth, and their drill leader calmly marches in between them. "Impressive" does not scratch the surface.

The military bands...including the jazz bands...rival any other big band you can think of. You can imagine the caliber of player they get...there's not that many places they can go work, so only the best of the best make it in.

Tony Page likes this.
  2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I was living in the cave, didn't know any of this. I'm very happy to hear about these activities I hope they continue.

3. John Brunner

I only know because I lived near Ft. Myer in Arlington VA (where The Band is and where Arlington Cemetery is), and my brother was in it.

Tony Page likes this.
  4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Wedding bells blues

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

Ain't nuthin' like a tight brass section (with the requisite bass trombone) to almost make me forget that Marilyn McCoo did my favorite version of this song. Almost.

My Army Band brother had an extensive album collection of this genre (being in the profession, he actually got to deduct them from his taxes), and I don't recall hearing any James Last stuff. Kinda odd, considering the dominance of brass & bass. He must have had at least an album of two.

Tony Page likes this.
  6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe James Last is a German Orchestra. He's one of the ones I mentioned in an earlier thread I couldn't remember his name. This is one of my favorite songs by him. As far albums go I think I've seen at least 10 different ones while searching for this song.
    One good thing these music threads is they keep my mind active and bring backs a lot of song Memories, I've been in a lot of physical pain lately this helps reduce my attention to it.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I'm sorry for the reason you need this distraction, Tony. But this does dredge up tons of memories. Not only was I exposed to so much of this music through my older brother, but I was in every band variation we had when I was in high school (symphonic, marching, jazz, brass choir, pep band.) When I was in jazz band we would play arrangements like this. One of the guys from the Air Force Band volunteered to come over once a week and be our after-hours leader for jazz band, and he would bring his albums and we'd listen to professionals play the arrangements he would bring.

You ever listen to any of Pat Williams' stuff?

This arrangement reminds me a lot of Quincy Jones' stuff:

Tony Page likes this.
  8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I really like the album, thanks for putting me on to this it's great.
    The Streets of San Francisco reminds me of something I had an album of I can't put my finger on right now. Before I saw the title I said this song sounds familiar it was the Streets of San Francisco.
    I'm going to look into Pat Williams see what CDs are available I have an outlet I use.

Bill Boggs and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

The Streets of San Francisco sounds a lot like the Theme From Ironside.

Tony Page likes this.
  10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Definitely the same style, I had hey Doc Severinsen album that had that style

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

I've got a couple of his albums. The Great Arrival and Doc Severinsen's Wardrobe. I also have albums of at least one of The Tonight Show band members...Tony Mottola (guitar player.)

correction: That album is Doc Severinsen's Closet.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    Bill Boggs and Tony Page like this.
  12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a lot of favorite albums one in particular I was so happy with. My father's favorite band was Artie Shaw. I believe it was 1972 he came out with an album Artie Shaw recreates his band of 1938. He couldn't play anymore, so he found what he considered the closest clarinet player 2 him, and remade his hits in what was the High Fidelity of the day. It was great quality and I always wished they had put it on a CD. Another album I have somewhere.

13. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Greg Allman Rambling man #1 The guitar solo in it

Bill Boggs and Faye Fox like this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Sultans of Swing by Pedro Javier Gonzales

15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Les elgart hooked on swing this non-stop swing 6 1/2 minutes of foot tapping music