I Love Folk Music, Particularly Celtic

Discussion in 'Music' started by Holly Saunders, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm an extremely avid Folk music fan, and particularly My own country's Scottish & Irish Celtic music...

I adore the music of the wonderful duo Aly Bain (fiddler) and Phil Cunningham (accordion and other instruments) ....whom I've had the pleasure of not only having front row seats at their brilliant intimate concerts, but meeting and talking with them ..they are the best of friends, and just brilliant musicians, and the most down to earth 'celebrities you could ever hope to meet

They play folk music alone and together all over the world now, but mainly here in the UK..

This is my favourite tune by Phil and Aly

I thought maybe you might like this @Bill Boggs ..if so search for Transatlantic sessions.. what started as a group of Scottish and Irish singers playing in a beautiful setting in the Scottish Islands.. soon became a draw for the best folk musicians from the USA and all over the world who wanted to collaborate ...

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It might be a bit sad to say but I think the introduction of Celtic music to the U.S. was via “Celtic Woman” and “River Dance”. Prior to those, I really didn’t hear much of it but it’s lovely music and the instrumentation is something fantastic.

As I have mentioned before, I learned to play a lot of instruments but one of late that I fell in love with is the recorder. The instrument is found in all sorts of genres of music but especially found in the more folksy and Celtic categories.
    To make a long story short, I bumped into someone playing the Gypsy Waltz on YouTube and then searched for more recorder music, found a lot, and then I ordered a soprano recorder for $15 bucks and then an alto one for $7.00 and later, a xaphoon. (About $27.00).
    Learning to play a recorder is easy but learning to play one proficiently is derned hard but, I’m learning nonetheless.
    Here’s an example of the type of music I like and what I’d like to sound like in the near future.

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

My daughter collects Celtic music and can sing it. She sends them to me frequently. Here is a latest favorite:

Usually prefer the Celtic language, but this was quite beautiful.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL..fortunately Celtic Folks music was in America long before the ladies of Celtic Women were born... :D

I learned to play recorder at school..badly..

OTOH..my daughter played descant at school and moved onto Bass recorder when she was about 8 years old and the instrument was almost as big as her.. For that reason she was always chosen to play the lead in her nativity plays as she was the only one in school with the ability to play such a large woodwind instrument ( she also played acoustic guitar at the same age )

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think our Scottish settlers in the Appalachian Mountains brought their Celtic music with them. That seems to have been the beginning of what we call Country Music.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Until recently, I hadn’t realized that the recorder was such a popular instrument. I’ve been in jazz bands, marching bands and orchestras and was never exposed to the likes of a recorder of any kind that is, unless the time I bought one for 50¢ and learned to play “Silent Night” counts as exposed.
    I basically thought it to be a “kiddie” instrument made to aggravate adults with.

Presently, I’m learning “the Victor’s Return”. It’s not really that hard but the ornaments are crazy so I’m just reading the music slowly, note by note, screeching and whining (the dogs make other noises) and making my way through it without all the ornaments for now.
    I do plan at some point on finding a good piece of slower Celtic Folk music and making an arrangement using the Soprano and Alto recorders, my clarinet and the Garage Band app on the IPad and see what I can do with it. I have never tried any loop recording so it’s another learning experience I think I’m going to enjoy.

Oh yeah, the “Celtic Women” and “River Dance” thing. Ya just gotta admit that they made Celtic music a lot more popular than it was prior to their emergence. Of course, it isn’t just the music most guys are paying attention to. :)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks so much, Holly. My son listens to Celtic & Irish mustic. I don't know any myself
    Except listen to some of the Irish play their whisles. I will listen to those you posted.

Holly Saunders likes this.