I Got The Shingles Vaccine

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Denise Evans, Oct 26, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

OH I know shingles is something I don't want to experience, so I will get the shot for sure when I get to be 65. My dad had it, and I don't think he suffered too much but someone else I know had it, and was miserable for weeks with it. If it is something that can be prevented in any way, I will do it. Chickenpox were bad enough. I still remember how itchy I was. An adults kept telling me, don't scratch them, they will leave a scar. I do have a few small scars, that I wonder if they were pox related.

Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, if what I have is a mild case, I don't want a full blown one:( Today things got a little uncomfy. I itch a lot, and actually the pain/achy is REALLY getting to me. Trying to keep the clothing away from affected areas, sitting in chairs, couch or trying to even lie down is "I'll just say" uncomfortable. I am not dying, and nothing like I've heard some people have suffered. These things stink for sure:(

Ever feel like crawling out of your own skin, todays one of those days:(

3. Denise Evans

Registered

We've got sunshine now, I hope you are getting some rain finally:)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm trying this starting today. I don't like these "horse" pills, and since I don't feel it can hurt to try this, I'm going to.

http://www.life-saving-naturalcures-and-naturalremedies.com/natural-cure-for-shingles.html

I'm actually using this one, apple cider vinegar, because I already have some of that. I will try to get more things though as I do want to rid myself of this if it's possible.

Apple cider vinegar

5. Denise Evans

Registered

OMG!!

If anyone gets Shingles, try the Apple Cider Vinegar, full strength on cotton-ball, and dab the rashes. Be careful not to break the blisters, and omg, I did mine 3 hours ago and still no itch, or discomfort!!

Yvonne Smith and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Good luck!

All I remember with my ex is that he took lyrica for awhile mostly for the stabbing shooting pain.

Don't remember if his itched or not because the pain was the main problem.

7. Denise Evans

Registered

I had 4 or 5 pains like that, in my right side lastnight, out of nowhere. My shingles are on the left side, so I don't know if that was related. They were sharp but only last a few seconds, but they kept happening every few seconds, then they finally went away.

The topical thing is wonderful using ACV. Everyone should try that before anything else on the rash, omg, it's still not itching!!

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Another thing that is supposed to help get rid of shingles is DMSO. I have used DMSO for years and years as a treatment for pain, and it really works. It adds natural sulfur into our bodies, and sulfur is a great pain reliever, and also a healer. I buy it by the quart and put it in a spray bottle, half and half with water. I also have a roll-on that I use on my bad knee when it seems to be really "out of sorts".
    You can also get it as a liniment, with aloe vera, and that might be a good way to try it on the shingles, since aloe is also very healing. I would make sure what else is in the liniment beside aloe and DMSO before using that, just in case it has things added for helping sore muscles, (actual liniment) which would burn the skin with the sores on them.

http://www.naturalnews.com/037485_DMSO_inflammation_muscle_pain.html

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

itching was the least of my ex's concerns...don't remember him itching too much...might have put calamine lotion on once but not sure.

Since you had the vaccine maybe you'll breeze through it in a couple weeks. His lasted too long, might have had complications. Even a year later sometimes he would have pain out of the blue.

I just remember thinking that I touched his neck before we knew it was shingles an di prayed I wouldn't catch it.

Think I rubbed something on for sunburn.

10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I plan to get the vaccine when I am old enough. I do not want to suffer with Shingles, no way no how! I vividly remember having chickenpox as a child. It really stands out in my mind because my 3rd grade class went to see Mary Poppins, and I was furious I couldn't go. Fortunately, my mom took me over the weekend, when I was better!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I got the shot about 8-9 years ago and didn't get shingles yet so that was $200 well spent....maybe it was less than 8-9 years ago...that's when my ex had it, can't remember exactly when I got the vaccine...just that I got it at Walgreens and the $200 cause that's a lot.

12. Denise Evans

Registered

Hard to know the real truth about it all, I know 3 women in my complex that had the vaccine, 4 counting me, and we all got shingles. Everyone can make their own choice. For me it's a hard, scarey decision. They are offering me a "booster" shot and I have to decide whether or not to get it.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've never been offered a booster shot. Did the women all get it now? Or different times?

I've only known 3 people with shingles...my ex...my father and my daughter's step mother in law. Only witnessed my ex first hand and that's what made me get the shot.

I can deal with itchinging and mild pain but when I see a man who was tough and wouldnt take a pain pill for anything take them...I didn't want shingles.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My older brother and an aunt have had shingles, and I know that they both were very miserable with it. It was far more than an inconvenience.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I would not be paying $200 cash if it was only an inconvenience. Hopefully with the shot if I ever do get shingles it will be mild.