I Got The Shingles Vaccine

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Denise Evans, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

and it works really good!! I have the shingles:(

I only got that shot because they yacked it up so much, and the shingles sounded too horrible to bear. So I have them, thought I had a couple of spider bites. They got pretty big, ok, big spiders. Then I get more, after I set a few "sticky" traps around my apartment since I did see a couple itti bitti spiders. So I'm thinking the traps didn't work.

I took a closer look at my "bites" and they had tiny bumps like blisters. I'm thinking, spider bites don't make blisters so I call my doc, go in, and I have the shingles. I said that I know:( I don't feel good, like I have the flu and I itch.

If anyone has had to shingles, I would be glad to hear about your experience. Especially if you had shingles "after" the so-called vaccine. I had the vaccine about 2 years ago now, so it wasn't real lately.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My older brother has had the shingles and he is miserable with it when it breaks out. I have been thinking that was one vaccine that I might consider getting but not if it gives me the shingles. I don't doubt it though, because I was sick for four or five days after getting a flu vaccine, and I was in my 40s then. EMTs and paramedics were required to get the flu vaccine every year and now that I am no longer a paramedic, I will admit that this is a law that I broke every year after that first one. I had never had the flu before and I was miserable.

3. Denise Evans

Registered

I've heard that about the flu shots too @Ken Anderson but do remember, I got my vaccine for shingles 2 years ago. I never felt bad after that, until now. I read somewhere that it's like a 50/50 chance you'll still get it. But that wasn't the hype I heard before I got mine. It was omg, get this vaccine and you won't have to suffer with shingles. I felt totally immune to shingles. I should have known better, but I trusted the big pharmaceuticals again. 100 bucks I think that cost, but my insurance covered mine. But that's a lot of money they made off and are making off one, little shot.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is exactly what happened to Bobby, only with the pneumonia shot. The VA was hounding him every visit about getting shots, flu shots, shingle shots, and the pneumonia shot. he finally agreed to that one because he had had pneumonia before, and they told him this might make him more likely to get it again, so he got the shot.
    It could not have been more than a few days later, poor Bobby started getting sick. So, back to the. VA, and they verified that he now had pneumonia, and gave him antibiotics to help him recover from that.
    I don't think he has gotten any more shots since then, either.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet "If anyone has had to shingles, I would be glad to hear about your experience"

Back in 1980, a truck was spraying some kind of oily stuff, smelled like creosote on our road out front; a chance spray of the stuff hit my naked chest. Went inside, washed it off, stank like hell. Within a day or two, blisters appeared on my chest. Another day or two, more, around and under my armpit, and onto my back. Hurt like hell. Doctor proclaimed "Herpes Zoster", Mumps Virus, Shingles. I told him I didn't think I had Mumps as a kid, but could be wrong. Two shots of Steroid in my behind, sent me home. It took a week or so to subside. Never recurred since.

The worst of it was, painful blisters under my arm, the damned upper arm had to be kept from touching my side. Try sleeping that way! Or doing any activity. I told the Dr. of the Creosote incident. He doubted any connection.
    Frank

6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've always heard that Shingles affects those who had Chickenpox as a child. I've never heard it related to Mumps. I never had Chickenpox, but I did have Mumps (along with Measles) as a child. I did get the Varicella vaccine (chickenpox) back in the 90s, because I was working with children and hadn't had Chickenpox. Doctors recommended it because apparently Chickenpox is much worse when you're an adult than a child, and they seemed to feel it would be best. Here's a fact sheet on Shingles.

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I got the shingles shot after I saw how horrid they were when my ex got them. Yours seem mild Denise..maybe because you had the shot?

I would hear him scream out in pain every once in awhile. It was horrible pain. He was prescribed lyrica but he did t do well on it...probably because he drank. :)

I paid $200 cash for my shot @Denise Happyfeet and I don't regret it. A mild case of shingles I could deal with but what I witnessed with my ex....no thanks.

Also if I'm willing to spend $200 of my own money for a shot, I have a real good reason for it.

This was about 8-9 years ago and I'm still good.

I don't get the flu shot but only because I never seem to get the flu but if I did, I would get it also

Got it once when volunteering at the hospital. I was fine then too.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Sheldon Scott and Denise Evans like this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

I don't know anything about Mumps, or them causing a virus, but maybe you meant Chicken Pox. Anyway, sound awful what you had, and it sounds like Shingles. I doubt the spray from truck would cause shingles, but what do I know. Also, I'm beginning to wonder what doctors know:( I was having awful back aches, and my shoulder just before I got the first, two "bites" which I know now were blisters. And those two rashes are right on top of the area above one of the places my back was hurting, weird deal for sure:(

So far, just rashes and itching, no new outbreaks this a.m. thank God. Could be the vaccine maybe has lessened the intensity of the Shingles. Who knows.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think so Denise because the shingles my ex had sound very different from what you are describing.

If it was only rash and itching, I wouldn't have spent $200 for the shot.

It also lasted months for him...what a nightmare.

My ex had no pain prior to getting the shingles he was fine. We went to a water park and later that night he noticed the back of his neck was red, we thought he got sunburned. The next day there were more red areas an dit hurt like heck so he went to the dr and thats when he found out he had shingles.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

Funny, my X had them too and was on Facebook telling about them. That encouraged me to get the shot because he wasn't a complainer. I knew he was really hurting to even mention it.

I feel the vaccine probably has helped. As long as these staying contained now, I will count my blessings. No pain since the back aches that started it all, and just itching. I do feel a bit rundown, so it's raining here anyway, so good excuse not to do much;)

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Hope you don't get the pain and it stays the way it is Denise!!

I'm waiting for that rain tonight....

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

I read this on my phone lastnight Yvonne but it's too hard to text, so I planned to write you this a.m. then forgot, duh!!

Anyway, sometimes I do wonder about the vaccines. I think right now, I am glad I got mine because it's possible I could have a much worse break-out. I don't know though, maybe I would have never gotten shingles at all. I'm sure glad Bobby is ok. I didn't get a flu shot this time around, I had that one time, or two, I can't remember. But I just am not prone to flu at all, so I am going to go without. I just don't like taking anything, or getting shots unless I am already way sick, or hurting. When my back was hurting so bad, they gave me a shot called Toradol that was to last a week. Funny I got those bites/shingles about a week later. I sware we have to do the research ourselves. Otherwise, the NP's, or Md's whatever, don't even examine you.

Yesterday when I went to the doc about my "bites" she wasn't even going to look at them!! She was asking me to describe them!! I just threw my shirt off and showed her. I told her that she needed to see them. When I had the pain earlier on, they didn't even put their hands on me to feel around like docs used to do, like, does it hurt here, or here?? Weird world:(

13. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh metoo! It's raining here, and supposed to let up so maybe it's moving your way I so hope for you guys. California south is so dry:(

14. Denise Evans

Registered

One thing I didn't mention about the Shingles, that I find really weird, is that they only break out on one side or your spine. That was another clue for the doctor I guess. First the pain/aching in my back and shoulder, then breaking out in the same place.

Anyway, if you ever think you have an itchy bug-bite, check to see if it has a blister. Tiny, like with poison oak??

15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane
    You are absolutely right! I would be lying if I said I knew all along it was Chickenpox, just as a test! Blurted out the wrong affliction, sorry. Now, Mumps is really another story, if contracted in adulthood, especially by a male......:rolleyes:
    Frank