I Finally Made It Into My Big Greenhouse Yesterday

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Don Alaska, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

After much effort, I finally made it into my big greenhouse yesterday. My youngest son brought us a snowmachine/snowmobile on Sunday. We haven't had one around since all the kids left. He packed down a trail for us so we would be less likely to get stuck in the 3-foot deep snow covering the property. I am too old to maneuver the snowshoes, and skis just aren't maneuverable enough to enter buildings. When I got over to the greenhouse the first time, I waded through the snow to get to the door, which, fortunately, opens inward for obvious reasons. Entering the greenhouse was like going into a cave--very dark. I thought I had left wood in the greenhouse last fall, but when I got to the wood stove, there was only one small log. I found a few scraps of stuff around and tried to start a fire but found the damper on the stovepipe had frozen shut because a storm had blown the chimney cap off the top of the pipe. Back on the machine and rigged up cargo sled to the back and headed for the woodpile I have set up for the greenhouse. I could get close to the pile but not able to get wood from the machine, so I again waded through hip-deep snow to get the wood and toss it into the sled, then back to the greenhouse. When I hooked up the sled, I threw a shovel into the sled so I could shovel a path to the greenhouse door and I wouldn't have to continue to wade through the snow. I got a little fire going this time, but it didn't warm the building much. My eventual goal is to heat up the greenhouse enough to melt some of the snow on the roof. Once I get the snow reduced, the sun will do a far better job of heating it than the wood stove will. I usually have spinach planted in the beds by the end of March, and I can do that in my little greenhouse, as that is closer to the house and much more accessible, but the bigger greenhouse is hundreds of yards away from our dwelling and is difficult to access in the winter.

I slept well last night and the dog did, too, as he managed to follow me around the property. He can't negotiate the snow really well, but he could run on the trails packed by the machine.