I Chipped My Daggone Eyeglass Lenses Today, Looking For Recommendations

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by John Brunner, Apr 18, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We've been having church services outside the past few weeks so we can sing (still masked :rolleyes:.) For some reason, repeatedly leaning way over to pick up the hymnal causes my glasses to keep falling off of my head and on to the pavement. I don't understand why. I do all sorts of work outside with these things on all the time and never have that problem.

Today the right plastic lens got a couple of scratches (more like nicks or chips.) It makes me angry because I get the progressive lenses rather than bifocals and they are NOT cheap, even when I recycle old frames. I get the lenses done at the doctor's office, not because I'm rich, but because there aren't any discount places nearby...and I recycle my old frames. These are only 6 months old. As of now, I only replace them every other year. I have to get this fixed...it's right in my line of sight. There's no living with it.

There are lots of recommendations on the web, along with admonishments to ignore those internet recommendations because anything you try is just gonna scratch them worse or haze them up. Does anyone have any experiences with this? I'm grasping at straws I guess, since you can't really replace that which is missing. Maybe I'll stop by the optometrist tomorrow and let them mess with it (or let them give me the bad news.)

Man, this makes me angry.

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe you can get just one lens replaced?

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

Hmmmm....aren't you smart!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Check and see if there is some kind of warranty on them. My husband got scratches on his newest glasses and the optical place replaced them free; they were 11 months old so he got in under the wire. We didn't even know there was a warranty.

5. John Brunner

Yeh, thanks for that.

When Nancy posted her recommendation I wondered if I might have such a thing. The prices they charge just for lenses is obscene...way more than I used to pay for lenses + frames when I'd buy the set at the malls back outside of DC.

6. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

"Looking For Recommendations"
    Get glasses as needed, and start research re
    (it worked for me before I ever heard of why or how)
    William Bates**,
    Dr. Richardson,
    Others showing how to receive, usually in under a year, sometimes in two months,
    20/20 vision without surgery or drugs.
    Proven since about 1920, through tens of thousands of students and adults, and people with grey hair (oldies).

healingtheeye . com / bates-method/
    Dr. William Horatio Bates proposed a natural vision therapy called the Bates Method. The Bates Method is the cure of imperfect sight by treatment without glasses. That is, there are key principles, healthy habits, and natural methods to improve your vision without glasses or contact lenses. The Bates Method for Natural Eyesight Improvement

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I need an eye exam and new glasses; it has been almost 2 years since my last... thanks, Covid! I can tell that these need an upgrade; I'm squinting a lot more lately.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  8. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Re Bates

Interesting concept, seen some reviews on Amazon but what is the success rate.??

9. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Re Bates 100%
    It is not only a concept, but easily verified as true, and why it works. (and why the money-grubbers against it don't want people to hear about it or try it).

The success rate for over two years for licensed pilots and also for thousands of grade school students before the eye glass manufacturers brought a stop to it in New York was 100%. No one ever disputed that nor showed any failure/ then or since then. (I've been avidly reading books and internet sites concerning this since I was 'cured' three decades ago, and found not one instance, not even one person claiming that the method did not work for them. It is daily sold in stores around the USA, and other countries.)

10. John Brunner

I have one eye that changes faster than the other. That being said, I still only need to change scripts every other year.

I tell ya, the one thing I discovered after retiring is that decent dental & vision insurance is tough to get for individuals. I'm "fortunate" that a preexisting condition gets me Medicare-qualified for my annual eye exam.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. John Brunner

I called my optometrist. I got these glasses last November and they are under warranty!

They're ordering new lenses and will install them in the office (they have a sizeable eyeglass section and a woman who is adept at all things glasses.)

re: Bates. I'll read more about this. I've known for a long time that focusing on a fixed point for an extended period of time is bad for you. I forget where I picked this up...I used to read tons of stuff like "Berkeley Wellness Newsletter" and "Center for Science in the Public Interest" stuff. I've made it a habit to periodically look away from monitors, books and business documents to relax my muscles and change my focus. I never started wearing glasses until I was in my 40s.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

cheerleader.gif

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

It made me smile.

I was almost glad I chipped them in the first place, just so I could have the experience. ;)

Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. John Brunner

Now I think I might get one of those eyeglass strings. I wonder if my glasses only fall off during church services because that's the only place I'm wearing a mask for an extended period of time. The glasses are probably riding on top of the mask loops, so they slide right off.