How - That's The Way It Is - Became Cronkite's Tag Line

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Joe Riley, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]
    Today's MSM

Sanford "Sandy" Socolow, who worked at CBS News for 32 years, more than four of them as Cronkite's producer, said Cronkite ran into trouble soon after he took over for Douglas Edwards in the "CBS Evening News" anchor chair.

"The first night up, he ended the show by saying, I'm paraphrasing, 'That's the news. Be sure to check your local newspapers tomorrow to get all the details on the headlines we are delivering to you.'"

That didn't fly.

"The suits -- as we used to call them -- went crazy," Socolow told CNN, referring to CBS executives. "From their perspective, Cronkite was sending people to read newspapers instead of watching the news. There was a storm."

CBS News President Richard Salant met with Cronkite, who initially resisted, then agreed to change his sign-off, Socolow said.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"In the absence of anything else, he came up with 'That's the way it is.'"

[​IMG]

"That's the way it is" was born after boss hated Cronkite's first sign-off. Anchor didn't like mixing news with opinion or commercial interests. He didn't even want to promote stories coming the next day, producer says.

"He was a purist," Socolow said. "And, a lot of people would say, to a fault, if there can be a fault in such a definition."

For example, he said, around the time of the 1979 Three Mile Island accident, in which a nuclear plant's core partially melted, the movie "China Syndrome" was released with a similar theme.

"I was so knocked out to its proximity to the events of the day, I arranged a screening for the entire staff of the 'Evening News,'" Socolow said.

Though Cronkite did not attend, "the next day, I go into him and say, 'You know this is really uncanny that this movie should be so close to the bone, and it's just stunning, a stunning coincidence, and I think we could make a story out of it.'

"He shouted at me, 'I'm not in the goddamn business of selling movie tickets.'"

Cronkite even disliked promoting pieces that were slated to run in the next day's newscast, Socolow said. "His attitude being, 'For God's sake, we don't know what tomorrow's news is going to be. How the hell can we take time away from reporting today's news by promoting a story for tomorrow?'"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The epitaph on his headstone should read, “The last newscaster”.

That said, David Brinkley and Chet Huntley weren’t bad either.

Shirley Martin and Joe Riley like this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The last journalist.

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Cronkite was aboard a B-17 Flying Fortress, to bomb the submarine pens at Wilhelmshaven, Germany.

8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

"Good night, David"
    "Good night, Chet"