How Much of Your Purchases Are Made Online?

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by John Donovan, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.com but I earn more money from them than I make, I think.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Ken, where do you have your Amazon ads ? I am guessing that you meant that you made money from ads that you have up online ? I put one on my blog; but not enough people go to the blog, so I don't think that anyone has used it to order from, and it doesn't seem to make any difference when it is me that orders from the Amazon link.
    Is there a way that you can get a discount from using your own Amazon link ?

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

On some of my other sites. I haven't monetized either of my forums yet, and probably won't. Maybe I'll include an ad on the directory when we start it, in order to pay some of the costs of the forum. I haven't decided yet.

Amazon.com used to be pretty loose about paying commissions to people ordering through their own links but it has ever been permissible and they seem to have figure out how to control it. I suppose if you had someone place orders through a separate Amazon.com account, you might be able to do that.

4. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd say for us, maybe 40% is bought online. We buy groceries and staples from a store. But since we live in a small town, there's not a lot of opportunities to buy much if you can't get it at Walmart or Family Dollar. I do buy my craft supplies locally, at a real nice quilt shop just down the road.

So, anything Walmart doesn't carry is usually bought online. However, we're having some tax problems (got hit with a huge bill), so spending has been cut drastically. Right now, the only things we buy online are from amazon, because my husband and I have a few surveys and other online opportunities that pay in amazon gift cards.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I was whining elsewhere that Wayfair is stalking me because I must have been logged in when searching there for something. They have been inundating me with emails, and if I click on one of the product links to go look at it, Wayfair knows I have done so even if I don't formally log in. So now I'm getting daily "The perfect ice maker for you!" emails merely because I browsed out of curiosity.

Well, I think I've just received an email from the most patient, the most tenacious business ever:

So I either purchased or downloaded their product 13 years ago (I really don't recall), and hope springs eternal that I'll buy an upgrade. I almost want to buy something just out of admiration...or maybe it's pity.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

All of my purchases are online. I see no reason to do otherwise.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

We have had the same old Dollar Store curtains in this house since we moved here several years ago, and they don’t do much for insulating the windows in the wintertime, or even for keeping the sun/heat out in the summer.
    Bobby had bought some special curtains for his little man cave on the front porch (where he goes to smoke cigarettes), and I was thinking that maybe we could get something like that for inside the house, a little bit at a time, as we can afford them.

Anyway, last night I looked, and the prices had dropped like crazy ! The price for the curtain panel had dropped from $26 to $18, plus a 50% discount , making the panels under $10 each.
    So, now I am going to check out some of the other curtains and see if I can find more good buys and put up warmer curtains in the bedroom, too. I hate the freezing every winter and having to wear my hat and coat in the house to keep warm, and I think that having better curtains will help out with that.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

A good many, although I go to the market for fresh produce.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith if you buy curtains from Amazon I can recommend a mfg.. I bought mine from. Mine are sheer but they sell others also.

10. Yvonne Smith

Thank you, @Hedi Mitchell ! Actually, it has been years since I bought curtains, and they were from the Dollar Store, so very cheap quality. I would not have bought the new curtains now either, but at 70% off, we could afford to have some better curtains. The heat in this house does not work well, and the better we can keep heat in and cold out in the winter, it will make it worth the cost of the curtains.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

miuco is the name. they sell a variety of curtains. i have two sets of their sheer ones. Plus i think they sent me certificate for $10 off on next purchase.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When the Covid restrictions came into force last year we started doing our grocery shopping online and we still do most of it that way. One big advantage is that we don't end up with a lot of "fancy extras" that DH usually picks from the deli shelves :)

Ed Wilson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

A lot from Amazon.
    H.P.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I find the same thing. Some people think grocery delivery is expensive but I believe I save money because there are no impulse buys. I am susceptible to store displays and stuff we don't need that "looked so good." I don't like sending my hubby to the grocery store because he will go for a pound of butter and spend $100 on "stuff." :D

As for shopping online, probably 95% or more of my shopping is done online since the pandemic hit and I started cancer treatment. Other odds and ends are usually picked up by my husband as required.

15. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I went to Walmart a few days ago for printer paper and a bedroom clock. I found them online at my Walmart location with the aisle numbers. Still I had to walk all around the store to find the aisles even after asking for directions. Online it’s click > order > wait.