How Many Feet Underwater Have You Been? Any Divers On Board?

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I took Scuba Diving lessons when I retired and got certified for Deep Water Diving. My deepest dive was 100 feet down The Great White Wall off Taveuni Fiji. I was a bit anxious but relieved when told that there were some folks with National Geographic diving with my wife and I. This was the best of the dozen or so dives I have made.

https://www.fiji.travel/en-us/destination/taveuni
    Taveuni

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My deepest underwater adventure was when I dipped into the deep end of an 8 foot pool and went to the bottom for a few seconds.

You may Email me for my Autograph.

3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I went down in one of those "tourist submersibles" in Grand Cayman once. I think we went down to 110 feet, which was deep enough for me. What was really interesting was how the color leached out of everything. Everybody looked like 3-day-old corpses. Blue lips, grey skin.

Yvonne Smith and Lon Tanner like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My youngest son is a certified diver, but I'm basically a pool swimmer and don't venture into the deep.

Lon Tanner likes this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Registered

There is a peacefullness and serenity of being deep under water that does not exist anywhere else.

6. Herb Sutton

Herb Sutton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have only been snorkel deep, but did it a few times in the Caribbean and then on the Great Barrier Reef. The giant clams on the Barrier Reef are memorable.

Juniper and Alexander Springs in the Ocala National Forest are neat places here in Florida.

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

It's been a long time ago but I really enjoyed Weeki Wachee Springs Florida

8. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

A great spring in which to snorkel is Blue Spring. There's a cave system that qualified scuba divers can explore (definitely not me) and if you float/snorkel when they're down there, their bubbles come up all around you and it's like being in a cold, tinkly jacuzzi (emphasis on cold).

9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I almost drowned in my cousin's swimming pool when I was a kid because of a snorkel. First, I couldn't swim. I didn't realize when you exhale deeply you will sink. I exhaled in the deep end of the pool, the snorkel dipped below the water level, and I had an awful time getting back up top without air. I still remember it. o_O

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

60' down, in Cozumel. Nice. Forty foot cave dive in Jamaica. Very scary looking up and seeing the cave ceiling a few feet above my head, completely underwater. Never again. Coming up, a coral stung my inner, upper left arm. For years, afterwards, doctors would get alarmed when they saw the raised scar from that sting. It has shrunk to the size of a pinhead, now. My scuba diving days are behind me. That's fine, with me, although that first breath underwater, in my cert class, was truly amazing.

11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

This is the dream of all scuba divers to be able to ditch those big takes and just go diving.

DEMA SHOW 2019: The One New Scuba Gear Everyone Is Talking About!

12. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I have scuba dived for years visiting many places in the Caribbean but never got the opportunity to do the Pacific. I love every minute some of the most magical times is a night dive seeing things that only come out at night. Also shutting your flashlight off and seeing all the luminescence in the water. Moving your hand through the water is lightening up like fairy dust moving through the water. looking around it looks like you are lost in space where little lights like starts in all directions. It is almost impossible to explain what it is like.

13. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

About 12 or a little less, but only because I swam that low after I dove off a small cliff. Never again.

14. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

So you're either high in a tree or deep underwater. I think I'll hang out at ground level.

15. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm with you. Swimming pools or the little fresh or brackish ponds and rivers on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I've yet to see a shark in a swimming pool.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Terry Coywin likes this.