How Did These Fads Start And Why?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have some tattoos that I got during high school. It was a stupid thing to do, and they don't even look good. I spent a good part of my life wearing long-sleeve shirts but I don't worry about that anymore.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, of all the years I was in pro-rodeo, I only seen one guy with tattoos and, this guy had body piercings as well. Thing is, the rodeo announcer and other cowboys would tease him about this. And, I do mean tease him about his looks. He brushed the teasing off, but after winning a World Championship in Steer Wrestling, he left the sport. One cowboy said “we don’t miss him”.
    I’ve been around farmers and cowboys, even in recent years, and have never seen tattoos or ball caps backwards. Just not part of the lifestyle like it is in the cities or close suburbs.
    And, I do think it’s a “mancho” thing or a copy-cat thing.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes and that's a cowboys opinion and I think those have changed with the times also somewhat. Nothing is the same anymore. How many years ago where you in the rodeo?

There are just as many people that think rodeos are stupid...I think they are cruel.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not cruel at all, but then again most city folks don’t understand ranch work anyway.
    Just glad, very glad, that my wife doesn’t look at rodeo the way you do. We would have never made it together.

Some things have changed, but not everything.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, we are as different as night and day but that's okay.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yep!

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Tatoos....um personally I do not like them.However we have daughters and other family members who have them.
    My comment has been...if God wanted you to look like a comic book...you would have came out that way.
    I can accept even one or two...discreetly.As for mutiple piercings.No! Aside from the ears. But folks are going to do what they will. Many employers make you cover up tatoos and take piercings. Have never understood what was attractive about all that.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We have a Great Niece that got two, one on each arm above her wrists. They are long and very visible. Here grandma, my wife’s sister, darn near had a fit. But, the Great Niece is in the Army and we think she got pressured from Army friends to get them.

I think it’s so funny when wife and I see some young high school or college age kid come into a descent restaurant wearing his ball cap backwards or off to the side of his head. Doesn’t seem to bother the girl he’s with. And, he leaves the hat on all during dinner!

Another funny, but definitely ridiculous look, is seeing some guy wearing cargo shorts so low that the top of his butt crack is showing. There was a guy like that, sitting at the bar of a Mexican restaurant we go to. So ugly looking, but he thought it was very cool looking.

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We are “Old School-Old Fashion” when it comes to these “fads”. Don’t like them or believe in them.

Super glad I decided not to get any tattoos, when I was younger.

Seen a lady at Lowe’s today that had tattoos all over her arms, legs and some on her face. Totally ugly!!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    Understood, and agreed!

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

How many ways can we think of to adorn the human body? It is all part of what each of us value and how much we value it.
    Personally, I do not wish to put something on that I cannot take off. I'm kind of funny that way. If it were socially acceptable, I "think" I could actually be a nudist because I really do not like clothing that much so if I had tats, and even if nudity was accepted, people would stare and wonder what that wrinkled ink spot on my skin used to be and I do not wish to be stared at and wondered about. (even in my very vivid imagination)

So far as body piercings, every time I go to the doctor they always seem to stick things into the existing holes that I have so why would I wish to have more holes for them to stick things into? No matter how small it might appear, they will find it and charge me for jamming a finger or a sharp object into it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I think these fads started with those in the Movie and Music industries who become famous. When their fans see them sporting tattoos and wearing their caps backwards, etc. ...the fans and groupies just have to go out and "copy" what their idols are doing.

Some gangs have certain tattoos, etc. that they take for their idenity also...and each member has to have these identification marks, ways of dressing, etc. too.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I too believe that celebrities have a lot to do with fads. The biggest one I can remember was the hairdo Jackie Kennedy used to sport. Everywhere I looked there was the Jackie K hair style. I even remember a couple of guys were wearing it or maybe that was just the Beatles or something.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

:eek::p