Horses, Mules, Donkeys, Trail Riding, And Stuff Like That

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Faye Fox, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith That is a nice strong looking Welch Mountain Pony. He appears to be taller than most, but hard to tell because not sure of your height.

Tony Page likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that Dandy was more of the Welsh Cob type , rather then the fine boned Welsh Ponies that you see at horse shows. Since he came from someone who bought him at the sale yard, it is hard to say what was actually mixed in his background. Maybe a little Morgan, or something similar to that ?
    I am about 5’4”, and Dandy was probably between 13-14 hands, taller than most ponies, but definitely shorter than a full-size horse.

An odd thing, he threw his front feet in circles similar to what a Peruvian Paso does, but he definitely was not gaited at all. Back in the early 50’s, there were very few Peruvian horses in America; so it is not likely that he had any of that in his background, but one never knows.
    Here is a short video showing the Peruvian Paso gait, and this is exactly how my pony looked when he was trotting along.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Very interesting about Dandy's gait. I don't know a lot about horses but I know one of my grandpa's that bred all kinds of work and mountain horses had some part Clydesdales that were about 14 hands and had deep bodies like Dandy. They had a gait much like in this video.

Yvonne Smith and Tony Page like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Faye, my wife says, "you'll just have to believe my husband had two Quarter horses at one time and used one of them for team roping". I've seen him ride a horse and he definitely knows what he is doing. I also seen him use the Lap-n-Tap (Rollo Roper) at a nightclub and he looks very professional. He does know about team roping and has done it. He has nothing to prove to you or anyone else on this forum!"

So, there you go Faye. Just what can I say..........my wife rules!

5. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

P1010610.JPG

A tired little girl here but she finally got him stretched out, she is a do it all girl from roping to mounted shooting.

6. Yvonne Smith

Since we have several members here who have horses, or did have horses, or just wish that they had horses and could go horseback riding again, I thought I would start a thread for this. One of our other threads was completely off topic, so I am moving those posts here, and then we can add on from there.
    Please join in with pictures of your horses, or anything that is related, like trail rides, or other western topics.

Bobby Cole and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I just said I would love to see a photo of the red roan after you said you had one, that is all. Others have made the same request. It would be nice if your wife joined and made her own post. No one was asking you for personal information, just a photo of this horse you have been bragging about for years and yet to give any info about either here or on the ranch forum.

I am not a horse expert or highly skilled rider, but a good roping and shooting horse such as Tex has is interesting and I want to know more. Photos are worth a lot of words.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  8. Yvonne Smith

No reason to jump on @Faye Fox for asking about pictures of your horse, @Cody Fousnaugh , and I can’t see why you would not be excited and happy to share pictures with the forum people.
    You are always telling us about your horse and the fun times you had at the rodeos with Red.

Actually, it was your statement about pictures of things that you had, and you said that you had “plenty of pictures of the red roan that I used to rope off of” , that threw the whole thread about pictures of items we used to have and onto talking about horses.
    if you didn’t want to post pictures of your horse, why even bring it up in a thread about pictures in the first place ?

9. Tex Dennis

Registered

I bought her at 8 months old, she is a Ref QH mare never bred, I worked with her daily every day some 7 days a week that she got a few days off to let all sink in she had learned she was one that you did A got desired result B almost every time, I started popping bull whips close to her in round pen with her loose in there for weeks just some daily until she got used to it totally then went to balloons taped to pen and poked them with a stick to pop then after that did mounted. No issues at all. Next shooting a 22 single shot pistol close to her which was nothing at all after all the rest. I went on a 100+ mile ride in the mountains and heard shooting so we went to look it was a mounted shooting match the rest in my group's horses got very excited mine was glued to what was going on and never flinched any just starred at it I was asked after it was over from the judge if she ever had done this, no. Well lets let you follow me behind on a run she did perfect so I borrowed his guns and tried it hit all targets and zero problems with mare, from then on we hunted snakes and many shot off her, ear plugs for her were felt kitty mice toys.
    On her AQHA papers DOC A LENA is on them 4 times she is pure cow bred almost over bred cuts some and great with team penning and tarps, rain coats, a natural on calf roping, backs great also side passes well never hardly use a bit just a bosal as the picture my avatar is just a hay string only no saddle or anything, when young we taught her to "go get in trailer" just by voice command also stop back out and go back in, daily contact did all this, also after I hurt my knee I taught her to put her hoof in my lap to trim and shoe her, a one of a kind she is. I used to walk her and my dog together on lead rope and leash down the road, the 1st day I shot snakes off her the neighbors came to see rodeo that never took place they left and said they had never seen that before.I have tons of pictures from all this here on my walls.

Faye Fox likes this.
  10. Tex Dennis

Registered

P1010321.JPG

I was bet a coke to ride through a hay ring with no hands as so many had a problem doing so that was nothing, she stands 15.1 at 1100# this was at the Snowy River Race in the Ark mountains

Faye Fox likes this.
  11. Tex Dennis

Registered

me.jpg P1010603.JPG P1010612.JPG P1010612.JPG
    P1010603.JPG
    Just opened the gate for others lookin g for snakes. note no bit just bosal I could not even guess of the time we spent opening gates both forward and backing out, also changing clothes, slickers, dusters etc. Somewhere I even have a picture of her walking in my kitchen! When door blew open, we trimmed trails from hanging trees with chain saw 1 time on her trai9ned for them with riding with leaf blower for about 2 days, if it was a spookey thing that was safe we did it. Also lots of night rides.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, I'll look for a picture of "Red".

And, just to let you know, my wife won't join any forum. She has seen what I've gone thru, sometimes, on this forum and a couple of others I've been on. And, what do I mean by "gone thru"? IOW, topics/threads that I've done that have ended up being pretty-to-very controversial. Like ones about tattoos, smoking, cussing and not being open minded (enough or at all). She seen, by me showing them to her, controversial topics/threads that I've done, where people will agree with me and others won't. The ones that won't, only go after me, not the other members that agree with me.

One big topic that she gets upset about is, what some think a "cowboy" is, or should be. PRCA rodeo is another topic that can upset her. She will tell me, "If they disagree with you, they'll darn sure disagree with me! And, that's not just because I'm your wife, but because of what I know about PRCA rodeo."

13. Tex Dennis

Registered

Hay and water break after looking for a neighbor's bull we went through some rough stuff
    P1010602.JPG
    We spent the prior night also looking, I loved horse camping ever since my cousin and I finally got parents ok to do so overnight, mother was not for it at all at our ages but my uncle talked her in to it we went many times that progressed to hunting trips for the weekend.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My dad raised horses that he'd buy at horse auctions. Usually, he would resell them but he kept some of them. We had as many as, I think, seventeen horses at one time. I know. he rode them when he was younger because I've seen the pictures, but no one in our family rode them. Neither I nor any of my brothers rode the horses. They were ridable, I know, because some of our cousins would ride them, and other people would come by and borrow them sometimes, but I never thought about riding a horse when I was a kid. We had one horse, named Bill, who was huge. He had been part of a pair of horses that my dad used when he farmed with horses. I think the other one had died before I came along, and Bill was retired. He was dad's favorite horse. He'd spend a lot of time with that horse, but not riding him. I don't know that I have ever seen a horse that big since, but he was a very gentle horse. Some of the others would get jumpy sometimes, but Bill was always friendly.

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Back in the 60s my sister worked at a jewelry store for a family who came from "old money" and who had show horses and jumping horses (I do not know the proper terminology.) They had 2 farms (and 2 stores): one out in the country, and one in the middle of our town in Fairfax County (today no one would believe such a farm could have ever been in the middle of suburbia.) I got on one of their horses...just once. I was about 12 or so, and had never ridden before. As soon as the thing had a human in the saddle, it started taking the jumps they had set up in the corral. That was no fun. My butt hurt.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.