Hooray For The Ladies!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

During the years I was in the Navy, there were no women onboard ships. Actually, I can't remember seeing a single Wave (lady sailor) anywhere. Some time after I got out, that all changed. Every Navy ship in all the fleets were refitted to accommodate women. Then came women in combat and high ranking lady officers in all military branches.

Other careers women became a part of:

Big Rig truck drivers
    Lumber Yards
    Physician
    Surgeon
    Engineer
    many women law enforcement officers
    and now, an NFL Judge
    WNBA (women's basketball league)

And in rodeo:
    Young ladies who ride bulls, broncs and rope. What use to be a male dominated events, is no longer that way.

So, for these ladies, I take my cowboy hat off to all of them! Congratulations ladies!!

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I can see women excelling in careers that call for intelligence. No offense meant to the menfolk. :) But I can't see them competing in careers that call for muscular strength. Women do not have strength equal to men.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Dude, the WNBA lets women use smaller-sized basketballs while retaining the large regulation-sized hoop.
    It's the equivalent of you & I shooting hoops with a volleyball when we were kids 'cause it's easier.
    And they are taking the money that the men generate because nobody watches the women.
    So much for self-respect. I am not impressed.

ps: This topic is not gonna make the female members like your rodeo pics.

pps: I am all for any competent person holding any position...of course. I always have been. But I won't gush over a [fill-in-the-blank] in a given career as though I am shocked that a [fill-in-the-blank] could ever accomplish such a thing...it's highly condescending, and it's a tacit admission that the gusher is shocked that a [fill-in-the-blank] could ever do such a thing. Worse, the gushing is sometimes a cover for lack of qualifications, which diminishes the accomplishments of all capable [fill-in-the-blanks].

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, John, all I can say about your reply here is..........what??????

As far as my rodeo pics go, nobody has to like them. Rodeo is a lifestyle, like farming/ranching that most people on this forum haven't got a clue about what goes on, and cares less. Now, I did say the word "most".

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

I eagerly await your reference to rodeo pics in the "What's for Supper?" thread. At least THERE I could see a connection.

Beth Gallagher and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, you didn't answer my question, "like" or "dislike" the photos?? And, your idea of "connection" is what?? :D

7. John Brunner

Look.

We all post stuff on these forums for a variety of reasons. Sometimes we feel strongly on a subject, sometimes we have things we'd like to share, sometimes we just can't sit quietly (that would be me), and sometimes we seek approval. It's that last one that gets people in trouble. People respond (or not) from their own frame of reference, or from whatever mood they may be in that moment, or in ways that get completely misunderstood. Other than an overt slight (and you gotta be careful they really meant it that way), we can't seek affirmation from strangers. T.M.F.I. (Too Much Facebook Importance) is what causes kids to get depressed. I am often surprised at how someone of my age can sometimes fall into that trap.

I'm not gonna get provoked into judging someone's pictures, posts or comments. The response can never be honest, genuine or real because of the implied expectation.

Absent anyone being overtly nasty, we should all share that which we choose to share, and let people enjoy it. Or they may not. Or they may ignore it. And if they respond in the negative, we converse with them.

Back on topic: I will celebrate cowgirls.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Boy, John, you should be in-charge of a forum. Actually, your reply here sounds like a Psychotherapist in action.

I put the rodeo and wildlife photos on that one thread because I was asked to. That was it. The OP asked to see some, so.............

9. John Brunner

Gotcha.

Just trying to lend a perspective.