Home Remedies

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Diane Lane, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I cannot vouch for the usefulness of any of these, but here is an article that includes several "remedies" for thin nails.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

My goodness Ina, what an awful experience for you! I wish I had a remedy for you, but it would be biotin which helps me but not you, sadly. I hope they heal quickly. I'm thinking no more salon nails and keep your own nails short.

3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Bonnie, they were very strange, wish I could remember their names or the name of their book. About the newspaper ink, I know it was changed awhile back
    , was cancer the reason?

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree with Ruby, especially now till you heal. I get pedicures but I'm always worrying about infection in those places.

I used to keep my nails long and manicured and wore nail polish but I never had the nails or gels they do now and I quit when my first grandson was born, didn't want to scratch him with long nails, after that it was just easier short and I've never had a manicure since, just pedis.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don’t know about deliberately inhaling newspaper ink as a cure for anything, but I know they did change the composition of newspaper ink for health reasons. Today, it is usually made primarily of soybean oil, whereas it was previously petroleum based. On the positive, it’s not so likely to kill you but, on the negative side, the printed word won’t last as long anymore.

Diane Lane and Ruby Begonia like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

What kind of a manicurist tears off people's fingernails ? That sounds AWFUL ! ! I think that it can't even be helpful for your fingernails either, @Ina I. Wonder .
    Fingernails and hair are mostly made of sulphur , and one of the things that helps both of them is to add extra sulphur to your diet, and also to use it externally. I take MSM, which has sulphur in it, and I also use DMSO . I spray it on my skin and hair after bathing.
    My fingernails have gotten very strong, and they grow so fast that I have to clip them back every week. My hair is thicker, too, I think.

I also use hydrogen peroxide in my ears if I think I might be getting a cold or infection; which rarely happens, thankfully.
    I also use it to clear up my sinuses so I can breathe better. I take one of the little bottles like they put nose spray in, and fill it up with hydrogen peroxide, and then spray it in my nose , and inhale as I spray, just like you would do with the regular nose spray.
    This definitely stings your sinuses, so sometimes it is good to dilute the peroxide with some water first if it bothers you too much.
    Then, I just let it work for a while and then blow my nose. I do this for about a week, once or twice a day, and that clears up my sinuses for a while.

I guess I am just the opposite of you, @Chrissy Page , and I will try everything I can before resorting to any kind of drugs to help me get better. I seriously hate to have to use any kind of drugs, but sometimes, it does help and if nothing else works, then that is what I end up doing.
    I don't think that I was ever in a doctor's office the whole time that I was growing up, and the first time that I remember seeing a doctor is when I was expecting my first child, and knew I needed a doctor for that.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I have already posted this but for the sake of this thread, I will post it again. I was diagnosed with my first kidney stone sometime in 1995 and I had undergone the sound wave crushing of the stone called lithotripsy. In 2001, the stone recurred and again I underwent the procedure for the second time.

In 2006, the third stone occurred. But this time, the urologist prescribed sambong pills, an herbal treatment. After 2 weeks, I came back to the ultrasound which showed the stone to be smaller - from .80 cm down to .72 and that's due to the sambong pills. My husband asked if we can use the real sambong leaves. When the doctor said yes, we roamed around to get planting materials. Since 2006, I had been drinking sambong tea made from the leaves and I still feel okay with my 3rd kidney stone.

Diane Lane and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It is just a little bit late to warn me, Chrissy, since I have been doing this for at least TEN years now, with no problems. (But thank you for caring....)
    However, I did mention that people might want to dilute it first.
    There are a whole lot of things that peroxide is helpful for, not just for clearing your sinus cavities. Some of them require that you use medical quality peroxide, and if you use it in an infusion, that would definitely be a necessity.

Like many of the home remedies, no one can make much money by promoting hydrogen peroxide, so the things that it is beneficial for are not well known.
    It is simply water (H2O) with an extra oxygen molecule (H2O2) . The extra oxygen is good for people (like me) who have breathing issues ), whereas chlorine, often used in bleach as a cleaner, actually removes oxygen from the body.
    For those who are interested in some of the other uses of hydrogen peroxide, here is an interesting article about its uses.

http://educate-yourself.org/cancer/benefitsofhydrogenperozide17jul03.shtml

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I do use hydrogen peroxide for cleaning, it makes a great carpet stain remover when mixed with ammonia.

Also on the outside of my body for various things just never inside.

11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The home remedies in my medicine chest

Clove oil great for tooth pain works in seconds was used by dentists years ago.
    Peppermint oil two to four drops is warm water to stop gas and heart burn in minutes.
    DMSO for muscle and joint pain also great to stop cold sores.
    Apple cider vinegar used for acid reflux aids in digestion I also use it for sun burns.
    Eucalyptus oil for any sinus congestion also helps breathing
    Citronella oil for an insect repellent
    Probiotics for anytime I use and antibiotic to help return the good bacteria in my digestion track yogurt also works.
    Colloidal silver for burns and anytime I have a cut it also works well with DMSO as a transport for shingles
    Epsom Salts for muscle pain and used in capsule form constipation.

Sheldon Scott and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I only have back pain so don't need any of those, I've tried OTC rubs and pain relievers but they don't work.

I do take vitamin D because I was low and sometimes C because I feel I don't get enough because I don't eat much fruit.

Mari North likes this.
  13. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page , have you tried BioFreeze? I never found anything that worked before that, either.. I get it at Amazon in 3-packs... and I'll only use the gel tubes (I think it might come in other forms, but I like the gel.)

I first tried it on a good recommendation... I had a friend with cancer and BioFreeze was the only product that gave her relief of any kind from her bone pain. I figured if it did that for her intense pain, I'd try it for sore/maybe arthritic toe joints after being on my feet too long. It really does work well for me when nothing else did.

Can't remember what the active ingredient is... let me go look. Natural menthol... and the tube says "with ILEX" but I'm not familiar with what that might be.

Diane Lane and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Most of those creams contain natural menthol, Mari. I've tried a few but don't know which ones.

One of my brother in laws swears by something called a tens unit.

http://www.tensunits.com

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Diane Lane and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  15. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for the pain relief options guys! ... never heard of BioFreeze or tens unit before, but always ready to listen.

I get backaches often whenever I overdo, but after working in the yard yesterday, I thought I needed hip replacement on my right side it hurt so much!! ... muscles all knotted up I guess. . .. today the pain is gone ..?
    I think arthritis is my main problem, but I'm always playing the guessing game with aches and pains..
    I use so many different things off and on ... MSM capsules, tiger balm pain patches, CryoDerm and another roll-on ActivOn ..etc. . oh, and I forgot Capzasin cream.:p
    My favorite though is epsom salt baths. :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Chrissy Cross likes this.