Hollywood Westerns Do Not Represent The Real Wild West

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Hal Pollner, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I realize they used blanks but having the precaution of a bar, as I do, with a replica of one of Jesse James' replicas satisfies the lawmakers and law enforcement.

2. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ahhh. Only in tinseltown.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Another event we have attended a few times...........CFD aka Cheyenne Frontier Days in Cheyenne, Wyoming. They have an authentic Indian Village and dancers. Also have an area where Chuck Wagon cooking is judged. A covered wagon and all of the cooking stuff over fires.

Hopefully, this coming August we will be going to Dodge City, Kansas for their pro-rodeo and Western Celebration.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There used to be a place outside of Ocean City, MD called Frontier Town. They had similar old west reenactments, and would deputize the kids as we stood on the dirt road in the middle of town. They also had Can Can girls dance on the saloon.

There was also Tweetsie Railroad in Blowing Rock, NC that had Indian attacks that made the train stop, and they would come on board and ravage the passengers. The cowboys took care of 'em. [spits on ground]

None of it was meant to be authentic.
    Perhaps those places are still in business, it's been over 50 years since I've been there.

Regarding "The Real West"...I remember that show. Good stuff.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny, but what I'm wondering now is...........who, if anyone, on this forum, has ever been to any Rocky Mountain or High Plains States? Now, I've been in Oklahoma at The Worlds Largest Stockyards and worked part-time at the Elk City Livestock Auction.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

50 years? Why haven't you visited there since then? One of the reasons why we moved back here to Colorado is because of the Western events they have here and surrounding States that definitely weren't in northeastern Florida.

7. John Brunner

Why not start a new topic asking folks to list the states they've visited and about how old they were.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  8. John Brunner

Mostly because those are places for families and/or kids, and they're not real close. Frontier Town was maybe 3 hours away (in 1960s east coast traffic), and Tweetsie Railroad was over 6 hours. There was no compelling reason to visit them.

But you do remind me that there is a livestock auction house not far from here that I've meant to visit. I just checked: cattle every Wednesday, horse & tack the 3rd Sunday of every month, other critters as available.

9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

That richochet sound is OK, but it never occurs simultaneous with the muzzle report!

The bullet has to fly somewhere before it strikes an obstacle that causes it to richochet.

Those dumb Movie/TV special-effects people should be educated in basic ballistics!

Harry

10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

1616649759326.jpg
    Buffalo Bills show
    1616649759500.jpg
    Geronimo 1616649760005.jpg
    Pearl Hart Stagecoach robber
    Thought you might enjoy some old photos

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Tony Page likes this.
  12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

THAT'S GREAT, I WISH I HAD THE ROOM TO MAKE A WESTERN ROOM, I HAVE OTHER PHOTOS I'LL PUT ON LATER.

13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

cowboys.jpg
    Cowboys
    kit carson.jpg
    Kit Carson
    Some additional Western photos

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I've been to all of them, but I don't remember anything that had to do with Hollywood Westerns. On that topic, I don't believe that Hollywood anything represents the real thing.

Shirley Martin and John Brunner like this.
  15. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

We used to sometimes have some Sneak Previews movies title not given until shown I went to one in the late 1980's "Death Rode A White Horse", it was shown 1 showing and pulled and not shown again it was very realistic nothing cut from it, it had more in the 1st 2 minutes that movies now do totally, if you got shot or cut you bled and had a hole from it it was about a boy and his horse who saw his parents murdered and tortured and spent his life getting revenge for it on his horse, I actually saw several people leave crying from it, later on I tried to rent it to show friends and it was listed as not available, "BANNED" from rental. I still have never saw a more realistic movie. Nothing was cut out, as realistic as you can get just to much for the times I guess.

John Brunner likes this.