Hit A Deer!

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Peter Renfro, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Hit a fricken deer last Thursday. Three crossed in front of me and # 4 just came flying out. Left front corner..
    Process has been smooth so far. Downloaded an app from GEICO to upload photos to them. They came back a couple hours later with their estimate. $1795 plus my 500 dollar deductible. Dropped the truck at the body shop Tuesday. Enterprise had a rep and a car waiting at the body shop
    Gave me a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. 2wd, WHAT? A two wheel drive Jeep just seems wrong on every level.
    Body shop called with the supplementary estimate. Add another 4300 dollars to the obviously lacking photo and phone estimate.

Bruce Andrew and Shirley Martin like this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

@Peter Renfro: What a lousy break. That's seems to always be a risk in deer country.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Enjoy the "Cherokee." Apparently the pearl-clutchers are lobbying to have that "racist" name changed.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Been there, done that, @Peter Renfro. Cost the insurance company $4000. Cost me $100. I have $100 deductible on my car and $1000 on my house. I figure I'm less likely to hit a deer with my house than I am with my car. :)

Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad you got good insurance.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We don't have deer in this part of Alaska, but if you hit a moose, it is like hitting a tall cow, some weighing around a ton for a large bull. Really bad news. Last time I hit a deer was in California in 1973 when a guy was in the mountains chasing deer with his dog. It made a mess of the radiator.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a 1990 Volvo that was my beater commuter. Due to its age, I did not have collision on the thing.

At 200 miles shy of turning 200,000 the nicest buck I've ever seen was standing in the middle of the road in dense fog. I could still drive it home, but it was not worth paying out of pocket to fix.

I had never hit a deer in my life. I moved here in 2010 and within a few years had hit 5...all but the Volvo were glancing blows.

Damned suicidal bastards.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  8. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's awful, so expensive, but you weren't hurt, I hope. Sounds like a very scary moment with frustrating aftermath.

A 2wd Jeep is an oxymoron, seems to me. Never thought anything good would come out of Chrysler buying Jeep, nor Fiat merging with Chrysler. :rolleyes:

John Brunner and Bill Boggs like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember, in 2007, on our way back home from Yellowstone N.P., we stopped in Douglas, Wyoming at a Holiday Inn Express. Two hail storms hit, and even though I moved our 2005 Durango to the enclosed overhead that lead to the front doors, we still got hail damage. Due to other people moving their vehicle to the same overhead, I couldn't get the Durango completely under it. After the first hail storm hit, I put it back in the spot we had parked it in, went back to our room, and I'll be darn if the second hail storm hit. Had to leave it where it was.

New windshield (hail chips) and hail repair cost us $4,966.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In April 2018 I hit a deer with my year-old Tacoma on a bright sunny afternoon. Two ran in front of me, no time to react.

What a mess, ended up with $11,400 damage. I have Travelers insurance, they were absolutely wonderful about it. A completely smooth process from one end to the other. A good friend has a body shop, he fixed it and you'd never know it was hit aside from the paper trail.

[​IMG]

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I hit a deer with a Volkswagen bug when I was in high school. I totaled the car but the deer kept going. It was hurt though, because there was blood. The state police were going to get someone to track it down.

On the downside, I wasn't insured but, on the upside, I'd only paid $30 for the car. My first three cars cost $30 apiece. That was the going rate, I guess.

Bruce Andrew and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yikes! Glad you and your ride are OK.

A friend picked up a buck, after hitting it, and loaded it into his car (???)
    The buck came to and destroyed the INSIDE of his car.
    How to explain illegal activity.:confused:

John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A friend had a similar experience. He had a cloth-top convertible and a deer tried to jump over his moving car but didn't make it. The deer came down on the top and the legs inside the car totally trashed the interior before working itself free and escaping apparently unhurt. A friend up here hit a moose with his SUV and the moose took the entire tiop off his vehicle. somehow he ducked beneath the dash and was not hurt. The moose, however, was killed.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That's not illegal in all states. In West Virginia the legislators didn't like the thought of all the rural folk scraping their dinner off of the highways, so the legislators made it illegal to do so. They rescinded the law the next year after car accidents went up because the state lacked the resources to keep the roadways free of roadkill. It seems the good citizens were performing a public service. Besides, they're smart enough to know what to eat and what to leave at the side of the road.

Regarding your friend: LOL!!!!!!

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We have eaten fresh road kill. Word to the wise a lovely pheasant can come out like a dry chicken with broken glass in it.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.