Hello Everyone, I'm Jessica

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jessica Morgan, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

We might be 32nd cousins :):D:):D
    @Jessica Morgan
    I’m Aussie however I live in a very touristy area
    Known as little Cornwall due to the number of Cornish people who immigrated here to work in. the Copper mines in the 1860’s

My heritage is mainly Cornish according to my DNA results , as well as many of my Cornish ancestors are buried where I live, many came out of ships
    to the promised land only to be faced with very harsh conditions here with NO fresh water
    as well as very arid hot climate.

Jessica Morgan likes this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Uh oh. I'm late again.
    Welcome to the board! I am from Wisconsin, north central USA. I have a small farm on which I enjoy gardening and a few critters. Lots of lawn to mow:confused:

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've already welcomed you via Conversation (private message), but I will do so again so that this thread appears in my alerts. I'm pleased that you have jumped into the discussions here at SENIORSonly Club, and you are most welcome here. I am in Maine, near the center of the state, but have lived in a few other US states, such as Michigan, Iowa, California, Texas, and North Dakota. The only other countries I've been to are Canada and Mexico.

4. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well hello cousin, fancy seeing you here ◉‿◉

I remember watching a programme on TV about ship loads of kids being taken to Australia in 1960s, it was so sad, reckon some of them headed back home when they were adults, I'll have to find out what it was called or it'll bug me!
    Little Cornish sounds so cute, and Cornish was my nickname for a while!

5. Jessica Morgan

Registered

I'd love to go to Texas, such a lovely place, I love the accent too. And i always think of mountains and mounted police when I hear of Canada,

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Registered

Many of the Cornish who immigrated to South Australia (where I live) came out on the ( dare I say) without offending.
    10 Pound “Pom scheme” We have a huge museum dedicated to the immigrants / mines with lots of the advertising posters about the 10 pound Scheme.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Pound_Poms
    @Jessica Morgan

7. Ken Anderson

A lot of them immigrated to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan too, where I grew up. This is why one of the iconic foods in the UP is the pasty, which originated in Cornwall.

Kate Ellery and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Registered

Apparently Pasties were made with veggies one end and some sort of desert on the other end for anyone that worked underground. The story here is that is why pasties have a rolled top for the miners with filthy hands to hold onto the pasty ….once pasty was eaten the crust was thrown out.

I personally know people who come up here from the city to stock up on homemade Cornish pasties.

I volunteered at the huge museum for 6 years that was originally built for the miners children to attend at night after working all day on the surface of the mines known as Picky boys if they didn’t attend school at night they didn’t get their pay of sixpence a week

While volunteering at the museum I learned my Gran attended that school

9. Jessica Morgan

Registered

Thanks (•‿•)
    I'd love to live on a farm, my friends in Somerset live on a farm, it's so cosy and warm in their home during the winter.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Farm living can be/is nice, unless there is livestock to take care of during winter months. Then, for older seniors, it can be a pain.

Jessica Morgan and Nancy Hart like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Yeah, there was a lot of mining (iron, mostly, but also gold and silver) in the UP and that was the original purpose. Apparently, pasties in the UP merged from the original Cornwall Pasty and became their own thing. Several years ago, I made a site about pasties, although I haven't updated anything on my kenanderson.net site in years.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll tell you a secret. I don't use hoses so they don't freeze. I give the animals what I believe they need. But I haul very hot water in cat litter jugs or something like them. I melt whatever water is frozen in their buckets. They drink it down. I add more... then finish with the last of the hot water when they are done. I bring some just warm water too in case they are super thirsty. I come twice a day with water in my car.
    Every once in a while, the drive is snowed in and I have to walk the water in. THAT is definitely a pain. But that is seldom.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

I had to walk across the pasture through the snow (and the cold) with an axe to break a hole in the ice on the river for the horses to drink before going to school in the morning. That wasn't so bad if the horses had already broken a path through the snow but often they'd wait for me to do that.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  14. Jessica Morgan

Registered

Do you have livestock on your farm? Must be lovely when the babies come along.

15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When we had livestock, I made a heated trough from an old bathtub that I filled with foam and cover 3/4 of the opening with plywood insulated on the bottom. I used a tank heater and that kept the water from freezing. We used hoses during the warmer months, but hauled water during cold weather. Water hauling is the primary reason we got rid of the goats and sheep. Hauling water was one of my jobs, but after my accident, I could no longer do it and my wife wasn't capable of hauling buckets and lifting them over the fence during winter.

Yvonne Smith likes this.