Have You Ever Attended A Seance And Spoken To A Deceased Person

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My step mother had seances frequently in the lounge of her home attended by 10 to 15 people. I attended several and think it's all nonsense. One of the mediums told me that they thought I had the gift and should develop it. My step mothers involvement in Spiritualism ended the marriage. My father never bought into it.

D'Ellyn Dottir and Hoot Crawford like this.
  2. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Seance? Nope. But my dad has been gone for about 65 years, and I still talk to him almost every day. It is usually when I'm in the car alone. Dad doesn't answer back, though.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have never even thought of doing anything like this, and am not likely to do it. However, there is something similar that stands out in my memory.
    About 30 years ago, and soon after my mom and dad had passed away, my husband (who was shooting drugs at the time) said that he was standing in his bathroom and starting to get everything ready to inject the drugs into his arm.
    As he was doing that , he said someone stepped up behind him, touched him on the shoulder, and said (something like) “Son, please don’t do this anymore”, and he said it sounded just like my father, who might have reacted in just that way if he had actually been there.
    Soon after that. He went into the Teen Challenge program (which was actually for drug addicts of any age), and it helped him to stay sober for quite a few years after that.

4. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have not attended a seance per se, but do know several psychics who were both able to contact my birth father, who I never knew. I take their info with a grain of salt, but it was interesting that they confirmed each other's conversations without me telling anything about what the other had said.

Once, during a shamanic journey I was able to access the deceased adoptive parents of my half sister, and got some answers for her.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I speak to deceased people all the time in my dreams. I don't need a seance, shamanic journey, drum circle, or any of the disciplines that once were practiced by more primitive living people and misused today in a shameful way. Spiritualism was a cultural thing and I think when practiced by people, not of the same blood and living conditions as the original practitioners, then it loses its purpose. It became popular in the 1960s for people of wealth and entitlement to dabble in the spiritualism of the indigenous and other cultures that lived closer to the earth in a primitive way. It was almost always used to make money or form control cults which totally destroys any credibility in my opinion. Now it is used in politics. If a practitioner isn't of the blood, even distant, and didn't learn their spiritualism by oral tradition, I am not impressed. Old hippies from rich parents misappropriating cultural spiritualism don't impress me. My distant blood from American Indian and Prussian Romany (Gypsy but not the Hollywood stereotype), helped me understand oral tradition handed down to me by my folks and Grandparents. The oral traditions of my family were a blend of many cultures.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I agree about the misappropriation of cultural traditions by those who have no ancestral ties to the ancient spiritual wisdoms. There is an innate understanding of the deeper mysteries of these practices and their history that is passed down through the bloodlines and oral tradition that is essential and irreplaceable.

Faye Fox likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I speak to deceased people every now and then but, like the living people I talk to, they mostly ignore me.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hoot Crawford stole my answer. Never a seance, but my dad died in 1996 and I still talk to him. I can hear his voice and his laugh in my mind. I miss him every single day.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This probably doesn't pertain to this thread, but I'll tell it anyway. Last year when I was first diagnosed with cancer, I dreamed about my parents who have both been dead for many years. In my dream they were standing in my bedroom doorway, just looking at me and smiling. I think I was so afraid I was dying that unconsciously I needed them terribly, so they came.

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The subconscious mind does strange things. The night after I received my cancer diagnosis, I dreamed that my baby that lived for 1 hour, was 50 and I saw her and she spoke to me and said, "It will be alright mama, it will be alright." And it was.

She has spoken to me on several occasions when I thought I was finished. She has always said the same thing.

John Houlihan and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

No seances for me. But when my first beloved husband died, I knew it when I woke up with no one telling me. He had asthma and died from it while being a night watchman. I felt a breath all the way down to my toes showing me he could finally breathe well. When I needed him, after that, I could feel him, for years.
    I had a few 'knowings' in my life. One other time a friend's mother died after being on oxygen in the hospital. She took it off herself while the family was there because she decided she was DONE.
    I didn't even notice but was driving by her house one day and all of a sudden I got that huge breath down to my toes feeling. I told my friend, who was not a believer.
    We have a mirror that we say is haunted as it makes sounds--not voices. But small scratches and ticking. I talk to it when in the bathroom and say stuff like Hi, and good morning if it makes sounds while I am there. Shortly after telling my friend of her mother's 'contact', the mirror made a huge BOOM sound. Just about knocked me over. Mother was saying I AM HERE!!! So like her.:)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

When I was in high school, I was involved in a motor vehicle accident, in which the car that I was in hit an 18-wheeler at an intersection going pretty fast. I was in the back seat with a girlfriend so I wasn't paying close attention, but the driver often drove more than 100 mph. The driver was an older guy, by a few years, who had a car and bought us beer sometimes, so I didn't know him very well, but the front-seat passenger was a good friend of mine. He and the driver were killed, while neither of us in the backseat were hurt, as far as needing to be hospitalized or anything. I had some pain, but nothing important. Phil, my friend, was still alive after the accident but he quit talking soon afterward and was dead by the time the police got there. I couldn't even find the driver, and it turned out that he was thrown from the vehicle. Hardly anyone wore seatbelts then. It was very dark and foggy, so much so that I had to feel my way around. Every now and then, the fog would lift a little and I could see the flashers from the 18-wheeler, but the driver didn't come back to check on us, and it was a long time before the police got there. I didn't hear whether he was hurt or not, but drivers of 18-wheelers usually do pretty well in this kind of accident. It was surreal. The State Police were the ones who showed up and they simply drove me home afterward, dropping me off at the driveway, and my parents never even knew that I had been involved in an accident. I was 15 or 16. When dad read it from the newspaper the next day, as he always did with news that he thought could be a lesson to me, he never knew that I was in that car.

Yes, I will get to the subject of the OP now. A few days later, I felt quite clearly that I saw Phil standing outside his house. I wasn't far away and was about to cross the road to talk to him when I remembered that he was dead. On the other hand, I was doing a lot of acid in those days, and it's also possible that family members were around for the funeral and he may have had a relative who looked like him, as relatives often do. It was odd, though, and I would have really felt stupid if I had talked to him.

I know that family members - and others - were upset because he was Catholic, but couldn't be buried in the Catholic cemetery because his mother was divorced. That seemed a bit unfair to me, but a lot of churches did unfair things in those days.

However, that's as close to the OP as I can get. I have never taken part in a seance, or even knew anyone who did that sort of thing. I had a weird experience with a Ouija board, but that's another topic.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  13. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson, I would love to hear of your experience with a ouija board. Once a ouija board told me I lived a previous life in "the Carolinas". Not north or south, just Carolinas. I looked it up and North and South Carolina split into 2 colonies in 1712. Weird, huh?