Has Anyone Else Noticed Rapid Inflation Setting In?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Don Alaska, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have noticed since February that the gasoline and diesel prices are rising on almost a daily basis here. Our food bills when we shop seem to be rising significantly as well. I have heard it said that we are now in the "Frog in the Pot" scenario and we will be slowly "cooked" by inflation as the value of our currency rapidly declines. Anybody worried? Worldwide food shortages are also predicted, especially as crop failures in Brazil and the Biden Administration removing large tracts of land from crop and livestock production.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that is happening all over, @Don Alaska . A month ago, our gas prices were just under $2 a gallon, and now even at Sam’s Club, they are $2.35 per gallon.
    When fuel goes up, then everything else goes up, too; because almost everything has to be shipped somewhere nowadays. That makes it even harder for people to get by on whatever they are already living on, so then they want wages to go up, too. Of course, when wages go up, many people are shoved into a higher tax bracket, so they really get very little of the increase in wages anyway, unless it is a very large jump in wages.

3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I am not buying things that would reflect inflation so I haven't noticed or even care.

4. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, shoes, gas, haircuts, restaurants, and many other things.

So, I'm wearing old shoes, give myself haircuts, and haven't filled my car up with gas but about 5 times in the last year, and haven't worn a suit in a year.

I'm glad I have a supermarket a mile away.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Gas is $2.45 here today and rising. Yes food prices have increased .And we are to be charged for even more things.
    For instance my periodontalist now charges $ 15 for their use of personal protection suit during procedures.
    Sallys beauty supply now charges you for use of their bags to put your purchases in. Some restaurants are adding virus charges to a bill.
    I ordered three things on Amazon and the shipping charges were almost as much as my order. I cancelled the order.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Janet and I used to average, about, $60/week, on groceries. These days, it's around $100/wk. I am troubled by the inflation I see going on in my town.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Premium gas in the High Desert is now four bucks a gallon...that's a buck a quart!

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I understand one of the goals of the Biden Administration is to double the price of gas and diesel to discourage use and help global warming.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

We are spending more money on groceries but never tagged it to inflation. Cooking
    has become a problem for us and we are buying more foods we can microwave
    Prepared foods such as corndogs, burritos and EGGO pancakes tend to cost a little
    more. Anyway the two of us are spending a hundred to a hundred tweny-five bucks a
    week. Too, I'm buying more fruits than ever did and amore sweets, like ice cream
    and cookies.and with this pandemic when we seldom get all thee groceries we order,
    prices tend to be higher so guess that's inflation or maybe just gouging.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

My state has been attempting to enact a "Miles Driven" tax to fund highway maintenance & repairs in place of the Road Tax (sure, the Road Tax will go away.) In order to do this, they claim they need to install tracking devices in our vehicles. So far we've pushed back. Lots of B.S. in the logic and the intent.

I understand that Biden is thinking of doing this on a nationwide basis.

These people loathe the idea of the rest of us living decent lives.

Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The highways have traditionally been funded with a fuel tax, but with more efficient vehicles and electric ones coming online, they have to find a new way to tax the user. They shouldn't need to track locations, just the miles driven.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The first time I filled my gas tank up just to see how much it costs and I haven't seen my tank passed the half mark since. Through all the ups and downs of gas prices I dish out $20-25 dollars and that's it. Just Friday I filled my half tank @2.54 per gallon and it came to just over $25.

I rarely shop at Kroger because the prices have increased to the point I started shopping at Save A Lot for basic staples and if there is a brand name that I usually would purchase at Kroger I get it saving from a few cents to a dollar. I also found that Walgreens will have sales on food items that I bought at Kroger. I'm there when the doors open because I'm sure others are thinking the same.

Spending smarter in 2021.

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  13. John Brunner

Also, when wages go up, prices follow because wages are a significant part of costs. So for many, the extra dollars end up being a wash. And for others, it means loss of a job.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  14. John Brunner

Trust is an issue when it comes to government installing any devices in our vehicles. It's gonna use GPS technology to calculate Miles Driven, and there's gonna be an automatic reporting function...the implications are obvious. And we already have a mandatory annual safety inspection where mileage is captured.

The larger issue is the concern that this is a component of trying to corral us into more congested areas. The rural counties tend to be poorer, and we're spread further out. When I lived near DC, a round trip to the grocery store was under 2 miles. Here, it's 15 miles. Others travel farther.

Some folks here commute 100 miles each way for work in the more congested area. Such a tax will kill them. And it will kill local businesses. And real estate values.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have definitely noticed the price of gasoline going up. Groceries seem higher, but I am buying more "convenience" foods these days. Also we are getting more take-out, so that bumps the ole' food budget but it is what it is.

Von Jones, Faye Fox and Hedi Mitchell like this.