Has Age Robbed Me Or Am I Going Through Another Phase?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Bill Boggs, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I think I have become less musical as I have aged. Maybe we all do. I grew up on country music, stuff like Ernest Tubbs' "Walking The Floor Over You." and some of those old Grand Ole Opery and Louisiana

Hay Ride stars. There wasn't much of anything else to listen to. The radio offered country music and the Farm Report or the Farm Report with no music. One learns it all, loves it all,then then gets bored by most of it.

I came slow to Rock. It filtered into my part of the world by bits and pieces. I didn't like any of it at first.

There was Buddy Holly and Fats Domino and others, Elvis and the Beetles and a host of groups and other solo rockers. I liked Fats Domino best until I quit listening to the music so much and started

paying attention to their lyrics. The Beetles wrote some damn fine songs. I liked the Pretenders and came

around until slowly most all of them had me as a fan.

Then as I took on responsibility I had less appreciation for music. I found myself occasionally listening to some Classical stuff. I liked the slow violin music. I still lkke It. It seems relaxing and for whatever reason soothes my being. I know the Italians have developed words for very slow, slow, a little faster, etc. I have read them but they never caught on. I don't have any classical music. I gave way all my old tapes and most of my CDs.

I have through the years had an appreciation for Gospel music, songs sang in the churches of my youth. Gospel Quartets: the

Blackwood Brothers and the Stamps Baxter Quartets. And many of those early quartets and singers with Bill Gaither’s efforts to keep Gospel Music alive. There were many and they came from places like the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama and from all over the southeast really.

Finally I understand many people don’t know what is meant by Gospel Music.

I never had much of a funny bone, never laughed much. I never found jokes much funny or many situations. If I had a music bone I think it would also be wearing thin.

I still have a few albums I’ve held on to: From Nashville With Love by

Sammy Davis, Jr: All For You by Diana Krall; Mancini Country; A Simon & Garfunkel; A couple of Neil Diamond’s including Jonathan Livingston Seagull; the music from Bridges of Madison County, and a couple of Albums cut by my Brother, Jimmy Boggs. Sometime I play one of these when I’m alone an feeling melancholy

I’m not feeling that way today. I’m only trying to get my mind in gear.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've always loved music, especially the music of our generation... classic rock. I remember when I was a kid, my best friend's mother LOVED Fats Domino and she always had a stack of 45's playing on the record player. We'd all dance around her kitchen; hearing a Fats Domino song takes me back in time to that kitchen every time.

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Music has been a part of my life it seems forever, the first thing I always did when I got home from work put the stereo on. Many songs have an attachment of a memory some good some bad.
    Living in the Northeast we only heard country western songs that were popular but I did enjoy artists like Sonny James, Eddy Arnold, Ray Price, Tennessee Ernie Ford, sons of the pioneers, plus many more there name escapes me right now.
    As I get older it seems i seek more of the music to bring back some of those memories and to get the feel of the time period I grew up. For me music and old photos bring back nostalgia of a bygone time. If I get to share those with the younger members of my family, it just light my candle.

4. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i find myself back to my roots...i ve been everywhere man......back to bluegrass and bluegrass gospel.....also
    enjoy same artists...for many years...
    Louis Armstrong ...Burl Ives....Roger Moore...many ...

Ralph Stanley especially in bluegrass gospel...so many...

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have shared space with them all on my old stereo. I like Louie Armstrong (Also kept one of hos albums) and Roger Moore, but Burl Ives Drew me in.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Teresa Levitt likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, my old days of listening to Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Grassroots, The Association and others. Then, I came up-to-date listening to Boston, Deep Purple and then, even more up-to-date, listening to some Alice Cooper, Van Halen and Joan Jett & The Blackhearts among others.

Then, got interested in country-western music, as in George Strait, Chris Le Doux, Diamond Rio, Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn and so on.

7. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Two days ago I discovered that an old boss not only spends his Friday nights singing karaoke, but has won two contests doing so. In our discussion about it, my fondness for the tunes from the 60s and 70s was reignited. I like anything with melody, which leaves out a lot of rock and all metal, and definitely hip hop.

Anne Murray, John Denver, Kenny Rogers, Barbra Streisand, the more tender Presley songs, Celine Dion, and the like.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sort of funny, but my wife told me that she didn't like her son listening to AC/DC, of which he didn't. Now, the funny part, due to me, she now listens/likes a couple of songs by AC/DC. The one she really like is You Shook Me All Night Long.
    We also like the remakes of:
    You Really Got Me, originally done by the Kinks, but redone by Van Halen who does it much, much better.
    Mony, Mony originally done by Tommy James & The Shondels, but redone by Billy Idol and done great.

And, then, when LeAnne Rimes redone some of Patsy Cline's songs...........absolutely great!

Bill Boggs likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Wrong and WRONG.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

huh? Don't know what you mean.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Van Halen's screaming was certainly not better than the Kinks, and Leanne Rimes is no comparison to Patsy Cline.

Mary Robi and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Dusty Springfield, Gladys Knight, The Carpenters, The Bee Gees, Faith Hill, Celine Dion, Barbra Streisand, Cher, etc., etc. There is a song for every emotion I've ever felt.

Although I always used to love listening to music almost all the time... ageing has seemed to change that to where I often just enjoy the serenity of peace and quiet these days.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Bill Boggs likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Screaming was just part of Van Halen, just like Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Deep Purple and many others. For us, if LeAnn Rimes turned around, with her back to us, we'd certainly think it was Patsy singing.

But, Beth, this is only our opinion.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just what can we say, we both love hard-rocking Classic Rock. Now, I'm not talking about the bands, like: Poison, Guns & Roses, Anthrax and such. I absolutely love a great keyboard in a band, like Boston, Deep Purple and Styx has.

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I loved almost all the names in this thread. but I was just remembering coming to Wisconsin from New York. I took the only job I could find--milking cows. And the radio was on, all the time, to country.
    I HATED it. The twang of the guitars, the twang in the voices...It was AWFUL.
    Until I listened to the words. I was almost rolling in the gutters laughing at some of them. If you played the songs of most backward, the singers got their girl back, their dog back, their job back...
    Lucille's husband was so sad! She took a fine time to leave him.
    Eventually I even took line dancing lessons when they came here. I was AWFUL.

Bill Boggs likes this.