Got Tuna? (Emergency Lighting)

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Diane Lane, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I usually buy my tuna packed in water, but I guess I might have to invest in a few cans of tuna packed in oil: Some in my 'hood are still without power, so I thought I'd share this here, in case anyone wants to buy a can or two for emergencies.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's hard to find tuna packed in oil these days. Our grocery store carries several brands of tuna, but every one of them is packed in water. At one time, it was hard to find tuna packed in water, so we've had a reversal.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Another easy-to-make candle is the one made from Crisco shortening. I have neer tried this , but have seen the video for doing it, and it looks to me like it would work.
    Even though Crisco is not good for you, it would be a good idea to have some of it in your prep storage, just in case of an extended power outage, and a lack of candles.
    I also saw a tutorial on making a little single-room heater using those little decorative candles and a couple of flower pots. I will look for the video and post that one, too.
    I think it is always good to do what we can to be prepared, even if it is only storing a few extra cans of tuna or Crisco.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I hadn't had Crisco in the house in years, but actually do right now. Unfortunately, the Crisco I have is in little packets the size of sticks of butter. I might have to invest in a can of it, just in case. I love knowing things like this, because you never know, especially in a hurricane zone, what is going to happen. I'd much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Hmmmm, we've been doing it wrong all these years. Instead of tuna and Crisco we've been using candles.

Brittany Houser and Diane Lane like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I've heard of scented candles before, but tuna seems to be taking it a bit far.

Brittany Houser likes this.
  7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Crisco was originally a grease for submarines developed by a German and the sold to and Englishman and on to Proctor and gamble who paid the American Heart Association 1.7 million dollars to convince the public that submarine grease is better than saturated fat and after killing millions/billions of people. In June 23 2014 Time magazine exposed this crime against the public. Oils are the main cause of free radical damage in the body [heart disease]. Using oily tuna or Crisco for a candle is better than eating it

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Ewh! I just read an article today about this man that got baked at work in a giant tuna oven. They are charging the co-workers with murder.
    I think it will be a long time before I am in the mood for anything tuna ! Just the thought is so yucky.

I don't really worry about running out of candles, in fact i just had a recent event that made it so we had to break out the candles, and you know I really do find it quite lovely. It is one of my few guilty pleasure, I love the way that candle light makes me feel, it is so relaxing. I try to pick up scents I just love whenever I get the chance or a few extra dollars. I have always been in the habit, especially on Sunday nights, of lighting candles and just decompressing so i will be ready for another week at work. It is actually quite affective in helping me relax and letting go of stress. To bad that candles cannot make the weekends longer. About the only thing better then candles is a nice fire in the fireplace.

10. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

It's great to know these tips! Tuna? Who knew? My problem is that I'm inclined to have many candles in my house, but NO matches! LOL The last time our power went out, I couldn't find a match or a lighter anywhere! I actually had to borrow a book of matches from my neighbor, because despite my little bit of Cherokee blood, I couldn't get those darned sticks to ignite! :D

11. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have also seen the post about tuna in oil as an emergency light, I don't think you can find the tuna in the oil in our area anymore, the same with crisco I haven't seen that in a store in my area for some time now.

12. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

So true, I have not see tuna packed in oil for years now. At most, some stores sell it combined with water, but pure water is more commonly found.

I have seen tuna, sardines and anchovies canned in oil, but these items are for sale in delicatessen stores, imported from Spain and using vegetable oil now, when these were formerly packed on olive oil.

Either way, for the price of an imported tuna can, I might buy a battery-operated emergency lamp, the batteries, and still have money left for a small solar lamp.