Google Earth - Places I Have Lived

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

apts-buena-park.jpg
    I was an assistant manager at this apartment building in Buena Park for a short time.

buena-park-commonwealth.jpg
    Buena Park, CA, across the street from the Fullerton Airport. It looked a lot dumpier when I lived there.

cypress-ca.jpg
    Cypress, California

long-beach.jpg
    E Ocean Avenue, Long Beach, CA: Actually, I lived in a duplex behind this building, surrounded by larger buildings, so there's no street view.

anaheim-nacacia.png
    N. Acacia in Anaheim, CA. I leased a townhouse but you can just see them, in the background. This was the closest I could get on street view. The Grace Brethren Church that I attended around the corner from here is now a mosque, I see.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

los fresnos - w7th.jpg
    Los Fresnos, TX: I rented this place for quite a while. It's bigger than it looks, as it goes back a ways.

los fresnos- 106 pecan.jpg
    Los Fresnos, TX: This was the first house that I owned

edcouch-montgomery.jpg
    Edcouch, TX: The house is the same, but it didn't have the circular driveway when I lived there.

Edcouch-Southern.jpg
    Edcouch, TX: This was a tiny little place.

3. Ken Anderson

parkton-nc.jpg
    Parkton, NC

fayettevillenc.jpg
    Fayetteville, NC

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Nice personal historical pics and I love to see them, but why did you move so often was there a reason for that?

5. Ken Anderson

I've always preferred to live as near as possible to where I worked and, as long as I was renting, moving was easy.

6. Ken Anderson

It's been a few years. Does anyone else care to browse through Google Earth (or street view on your favorite search engine) and post photos of houses or apartments you've lived in?

John Nopales likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Here is a picture of the house in north Idaho, where i grew up, and an older picture of it from about 1968, with my mom standing by my dad’s power line truck, me sitting on the front hood, and my oldest son next to me.
    When we lived there, we had several lots, plus the property next door where the old grocery store was, which has now all been divided up into small lots. The whole front porch was taken off of the house when it was remodeled at some point, and the house next to mine is where we had a huge yard and flowers.

1098B909-2736-4656-B3E9-9A3D7D1874CA.jpeg 3A0DFD63-3E4B-4A0D-BB60-65D491D673EC.jpeg

8. Ken Anderson

soldierpond.jpeg
    Here's a place that we rented in Soldier Pond, Maine while I was working on our camp. The Fish River is just behind the house. I bought the mailbox that is there, and the rocks holding the post in place came from my potato field. Doesn't that make you feel warm all over?

146katahdin.jpeg
    146katahdin2.jpeg

And this is where we live now.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This was my husband's house in the Houston suburbs when I met him. I moved in with him in 1986 and we married in 1987. We probably wouldn't have married at that time, but the company we worked for offered him a transfer to Baton Rouge and I couldn't be transferred too unless we were married. The rest is history. :D

19871.jpeg

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

There's gonna be lots of "Used-to-be" here:

This used to be a red brick house I lived in until the early 60s (Crawfordsville, Indiana)
    Crawfordsville.jpg
    I think they just covered it with siding. 1,1100 ft², 1 bath and 8 people. Good thing there was a 4H fairgrounds as my back yard...there was plenty of room there. You see that little slope with the steps out front? I used to ride my sled down that "hill." Wheeeeee! I must have been smaller.

We moved to Vienna VA from there into an old 1800s home on a large lot. There were no digital cameras back then, and I got not pics to scan. When my mother retired and sold it, they put up this cul-de-sac:
    Park Street.jpg
    We had the place for nearly 30 years, from the time Vienna was a hic town until it became a top "Best Place To Live" nationwide for many years running (proximity to Federal jobs will do that for ya.)

I lived in a trailer park in Richmond with my father for a couple of years in the early 70s. It's no longer there.
    Govt Road.jpg
    There are railroad tracks down the hill. Every once in a while you could hear gunfire (not the hunting stuff I hear where I now live, but the inner-city stuff.) The Edgar Allen Poe museum is less than a mile towards downtown Richmond on this road. Dad lived in a few different trailer parks. I always liked the folks who lived there. They were actually real communities.

I lived in apartments in Falls Church VA and Fairfax VA in '76-'78. The Falls Church ones have been converted to $300k condos (and they were old buildings 45 years ago!) I am shocked these places are still standing.

Falls Church
    Hillwood manor.jpg

Fairfax
    Providence hall apartments.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  11. John Brunner

I bought this house in Vienna in the late 70s when I was married. I lived in it for over 30 years.
    Street view of 207.jpg
    When I was a kid, I delivered papers to this house. In the early 2000s my neighbors threw a block party for my 50th birthday. They went up the road and fetched the elderly lady who lived in the corner house to come join us. She had been on my paper route when I was 13 years old.

This is the house that's on the lot now. I got lucky and found a developer who could work with my narrow lot (at 1/3 acres it was the largest lot on the block, but it was deep with a small frontage) and was eager to break into the Vienna market. We worked together and he marketed the thing as a Build-to-Suit package.
    Street view of 207 new.jpg
    It was bought by a retired DoD Pricing Analyst and his wife, who sold his home that was up the street & around the corner just a couple of blocks. I guess they liked living in Vienna.

This is me since 2010 on 50+ acres.
    house fromt.jpg

12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I lived here for 3 years in the 70s in Raleigh, NC. Not the house. The one car garage attached on the left. A furnished efficiency. The rent was only $45/mo ($338 with inflation today) including all utilities except phone, no TV. The owners of the house were travelers, out of the country more than they were home. They wanted a house sitter. Perfect arrangement at that time. It was a different life.

upload_2022-4-10_10-56-11.png

13. John Brunner

That's interesting. That same motive is what caused me to live in my 600 ft² home in Vienna for 3+ decades.

The DC area exploded with employment opportunities during my work life (1972-2014), so I had every reason to stay put. My house was centrally located to growing businesses north, south, east and west of me, with easy access to major and minor commuting routes. I worked at my last job in that area from 2004-2010...it was less than 4 miles from home, and I negotiated Flex Time (6AM-3PM.) So in horrendous Northern Virginia congestion, my commute was an unheard of 10 minutes. Rather than getting home with barely enough time to have dinner and then go to bed as so many others lived, I routinely hit the door at 3:10 in the afternoon.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. John Brunner

I was gonna say "I wonder if we don't often complicate things to our own detriment," but I don't wonder...I'm pretty sure of it.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Apartments where I lived when I was divorced from ex-husband, also in the Houston area.

QH.jpeg